Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS on 5.3 Sonoma

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSS on 5.3 Sonoma

Hey guys, I just finished my 5.3/4L60E swap on my 98 GMC sonoma, and my transmission in currently in limp mode. I was just wondering if anyone knows how the VSS works on the full size trucks? My wiring harness is out of a 99 k1500, The connector goes into the Tcase if I am correct. I have every factory gauge working, except my speedo. I am thinking that somehow not having a transfer case is affecting my speedo from working? any input is GREATLY appreciated. I want to drive this thing, and its my last obstacle!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The VSS in Gen III 4x4 applications are in the transfer case output. Just hook the VSS input to your transfer case VSS. Then you will need to provide a 4low signal to the PCM to tell it when in 4low. Pretty much just for when in 4low the VSS will provide the speedo and signal to the trans so it will shift. Just look the pinouts up on LT1swap.com for the correct one.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Teching In

thanks for the reply, but maybe I didnt make it clear i guess, my truck is 2wd. I modified the harness myself, I just can't get a signal to my speedometer. Is there a way to check the signal at the transmission to see if it is even reading?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

did you use the pcm from the truck? If so, it is probably programmed for a different amount of pulses per mile.

Is your cruise control working? On your truck you should splice both the speedo input and cruise speed to pin 50 on the red connector.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Yes, I used to PCM from the truck. But I will try that and see if it works. Thanks for the reply, and I will keep you updated
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put an A/C volt meter on the vss sensor itself and let the driveshaft turn and see if you are getting voltage. If you are then make sure you have continuity on the wires from the vss to the pcm. Then make sure the wires are going into the correct positions to the pcm. That should basicly trouble shoot the whole thing.

Quick Reply: VSS on 5.3 Sonoma