Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gen IV 5.3 4l60e vibration/noise ONLY in 4th gear??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gen IV 5.3 4l60e vibration/noise ONLY in 4th gear??

Hey everyone, been doing a 5.3 4l60e swap in my 05 wrangler unlimited lj. Everything turned out great except for one thing. When driving in 4th (OD?), no matter if its 15 mph or 70 mph and hold the throttle lightly to maintain a speed, it sounds like the rpms drop and I hear a bogging or chugging noise from what I think is the engine. If I push the throttle a little more to speed up, it'll kick up and go away until I maintain a speed again. But if I maintain a speed in 1st 2nd or 3rd, I never have it. It shifts great through all gears, runs great. Has new iridium plugs and wires, computer was done by novak adaptors, programed for 4.10s and 35" tires. All fluids are new and at a good level. No other driveing problems. I keep bouncing back from thinking, engine? Trans? Fuel? Torque converter? Tcc solenoid? No idea. Its driving me nuts. No engine light, no codes from a code reader. Don't want to leave my jeep with a random shop to mess somthing else up. Greatly appriciate any help!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sure you're not just hearing the engine lug because the tcc is coming on? Push lightly on the brake while its doing it and see if it goes away. If it does, then it's just the tcc coming on. Tcc lock speeds can be programmed by a tuner if that's what it is.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Teching In

The engine is def lugging but way more than it should. I've already tried the brake test with it and it doesn't change anything. When I cruse and it starts to do it ill lightly push the brakes like anyother vehicle to unlock the tc and it keeps doing it. Which leads me to believe its a misfire of some kind. But it doesn't do it in any other gear or speed but 4th. And no c.e.l. if it were engine related wouldn't I have a light?....I have a vette servo at home, if it is trans related maybe that will help?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Teching In

But like I said, when its lugging in 4th, its with a little bit of throttle just to maintain speed. If I press the gas a little more, it stops. But I'm speeding up at that point.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Teching In

anyone??
Old 10-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Teching In

It was the active fuel management system. For anyone who cares.

Quick Reply: gen IV 5.3 4l60e vibration/noise ONLY in 4th gear??