Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on this project?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is really nice. What all is involved with getting a LS to go in a Bel Air. Do the truck intakes fit under the hood?
What mounts do you need?
Do you have to modify the crossmember at all?
Will the driveline handle the power, especially a 4 door with the longer d-shaft.

Trevor
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tk-mpl
That is really nice. What all is involved with getting a LS to go in a Bel Air. Do the truck intakes fit under the hood?
What mounts do you need?
Do you have to modify the crossmember at all?
Will the driveline handle the power, especially a 4 door with the longer d-shaft.

Trevor
I don't know about drpepper's experience and since he hasn't replied, I'll share mine.

The x frame Impala's I've done or seen all required cross member and oil pan mods. I'm not aware of a factory LSx oil pan that will allow everything to bolt in. There may be something in the aftermarket, but when you have more time and tools than money (me) you modify what you have or can get at a reasonable price (i.e. no $400+ oil pans).

The truck intake does fit under the hood - if the cross member is modified.

Hmmm.... Good question. Yes, but for how long I can't say. People used to drag race them on slicks in the 60's so they can't be terribly weak. My car is getting a six speed and 9", but isn't complete. We just completed a friends and his is a total junkyard built daily driver (I'll make a topic on it soon) with a stock engine and an automatic. While the third should be completed sometime this coming summer.

Actually the 4 door cars and wagons share the exact same frame and basic drive line (engine options varied) with the 2 door cars from 1961 to 1964. The only difference in drive shaft length is due to transmissions. By the way, the drive shafts are two pieces with a carrier bearing in the middle.

Hope this helps answer your questions or at least one someone else may have had.

Last edited by gofastwclass; 03-03-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Any updates?

Last edited by Chadsin; 02-19-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Did this car ever get finished?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
The x frame Impala's I've done or seen all required cross member and oil pan mods. I'm not aware of a factory LSx oil pan that will allow everything to bolt in. There may be something in the aftermarket, but when you have more time and tools than money (me) you modify what you have or can get at a reasonable price (i.e. no $400+ oil pans).
98-02 F-body pan fit perfect in my 61 Impala with Dirty Dingo Mounts. Had some minor modification to the x-member.

Quick Reply: 61 belair, LS3/4L60 swap