Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Help" 1986 El camino LS3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Help" 1986 El camino LS3 swap

I hope i'm posting this on the right forum if not can someone let me know were to post this.

Just reaching out just wondering what all do i need to do the swap and pass CA state emissions.
Once I pull LS3 motor/complete harness and t56 trans.
1.What wiring harness adaption do I have to get to connect to my g body for the LS3 to work.
2.Do i have to use stock manifold to pass emissions along with CAT converter or can i upgrade headers and CAT converter and still pass emissions.
3.How do i have to run my exhaust and what are my limits.
4.How do i obtain the new cross member to mount he T56 to my g body.
5.I will like to use Pro Comp gauges. RPM meter, Mileage meter, Oil pressure meter,
Volts meter, Temp meter. Will these meters work along with LS3.
6.I will be taking the small screen the determines the odometer mileage and customize it to my dash.Will i be able to still use the odometer meter as long as i leave connection to wiring harness.
7. How will i be able to still use my AC and Heater on my El Camino using LS3.
8. What oil pan do I have to get so I wont have to notch out front frame for clearance.
9. To equip 2012 Zo6 big brake kit what front spindles do i need to bolt up to my El Camino.
10.I'm using ford 9' rear end that is already modified to bolt right in. comes with moser axles.So what rear brackets do i need so i can install the rear 2012 Zo6 brakes.
11.Should i change my brake booster and master cylinder or buy a better one or just refurbish my old one.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LonnieG
1.What wiring harness adaption do I have to get to connect to my g body for the LS3 to work.
Need the harness converted to stand alone. Many companies out there to do it, PSI is a site sponsor and is favored on this board.

4.How do i obtain the new cross member to mount he T56 to my g body.
Many different options for this, summit and jegs have house brand and name brand options, I have an "iceman" holding up my 4l80e you can find a link to his website on maliburacing.com

5.I will like to use Pro Comp gauges. RPM meter, Mileage meter, Oil pressure meter,
Volts meter, Temp meter. Will these meters work along with LS3.
As long as you have the right sending units and adapters everything will work fine. RPM will be the most difficult but a call to the gauge manufacturer and you wiring harness company with point you in the right direction
6.I will be taking the small screen the determines the odometer mileage and customize it to my dash.Will i be able to still use the odometer meter as long as i leave connection to wiring harness.
probably nit as the odo is usually mechanical, the new speedo should have an odo built in

8. What oil pan do I have to get so I wont have to notch out front frame for clearance.
I have an Autokraft pan that fits prefect, as long as the LS3 block isn't different from the bottom of a LS1 you should be ok

11.Should i change my brake booster and master cylinder or buy a better one or just refurbish my old one.
you'll need a modified proportioning valve or a new adjustable one. flynbye.com, kore3.com and some other places have brackets but I am not familiar enough with the swap to anything more. A call to either place listed to get you the info you need.
HTH this is all I can answer from what I learned and did on my 87 Monte 5.3/4l80e
Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Yea I've been doing some homework over the weekend on this swap I appreciate the help I was wondering when someone was going to reply to the post I put up.

This guy here was a lot of help with the swap.
http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/

So I pretty much got down the basics for the swap.
The only thing that was a concern was me converting my el camino to manual. I don't like the G Body manual conversion kit. The linkages are fine but the clutch pedal and brake are to close together. I heard that a F body Camaro like a 92-95 I think I was able to use there clutch and brake it has way more space in between both pedals, and it will adapt to my gas pedal. Haven't really dug deep into it yet. I gut want my pedals to have space in between size 12 shoes so I'm a tall guy. An you l know I want it to be a comfort set up for me.

But I do plan on getting the motor and 6 speed trans that come with motor. The Catalac converters that come with motor.Up grade manifold to the shorties with the sensor so ill be able to still be smog legal and upgrade the exhaust nothing crazy but just under the required decimal limit (94 I think). Or just keep stock manifold and still upgrade exhaust. It will sound viscous regardless. A stock LS2 from a corvette sounds bad *** so I should be good.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Teching In

My bad on spelling typing fast on iPhone 5 (crazy!!!!!!!!) ***** small

Quick Reply: "Help" 1986 El camino LS3 swap