Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWD operation - Front Diff (Open vs. LSD)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap just stumbled on this... subbed for entertainment. Did you ever put the 5.3L in your goat with the blower?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FSAE_Junkie
I had actually read your thread not too long ago. Very interesting indeed. So, I had given a decent amount of thought to the front suspension, but my conclusion is that it would be easy to find something that would work - so long as I could get the front diff figured.

My plan right now (which may change as I order parts and see them in person), is to use C5 vette rear hubs in the front vette uprights, which I've read is easily done as they have the same bolt pattern. Then to use the stock front LCA from the vette, and a CNC'd upper control arm (it has to be custom so I don't have to chop into the frame).

On the outboard side I'd obviously use part of the C5 CV joints, and on the inboard side, I'd use whatver CV bolts to the diff. This will then just require custom halfshafts going from one set of splines to the other. I've had custom halfshafts made before for $300 each so I'm not too worried about that. Coincidently, I'm actually pulling the trigger on a 4-axis CNC tomorrow, and this project would be a great way to break it in.

You mention using a Ford 9" IRS diff up front. Can you do this just because of how you are situating the engine?
Sounds like you have a good plan of attack. I've found the same info on the C5 hubs. And $300.00 for custom halfshafts? I may be looking in the wrong place, I've been quoted at least 3 times that. Please pm me your info on that, it would end up saving me quite a bit of $$$.

And yes, the Ford 9" carriers are solely to address the odd placement of my engine and drivetrain. The plus side to that is all the options I have for gears and lockers, like detroit tru trac in the front and rear. With the torque transfer most AWD t-cases do (like the BW 4472), this would give you the differential action you are looking for. And it's the reason why I decided to do an AWD conversion in the 1st place.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Atomic
It would be useful to know the height requirement you are trying to fit....basically the measurement from the bottom of the diff to the top of the intake.
Well, i haven't finished my CAD modeling of the parts/engine bay. I'm hoping to have that done by the end of the month, which should help me get some better estimates on height requirements.

From some preliminary measurements, I have 14.1" from the bottom of the engine block to the ground. The stock pan was ~6" lower whereas the truck plan I'm looking at using is 8" lower. This will be cutting ground clearance pretty close so I don't want the diff to protrude any lower.

Originally Posted by slimbobaggins
Holy crap just stumbled on this... subbed for entertainment. Did you ever put the 5.3L in your goat with the blower?
Oh no. I was hoping to keep this low key until I have some meaninful results, ha. Hence why this is not on ls1gto.

Sadly, I've been about 2 weeks worth of work away from getting the 5.3 back in the goat - for the past 6 months. At this point, I'm going to wait to put the engine in until I figure out this 'driveline modification' project. The upside is that due to some arrangements at work, I'll have 4 day weekends for the next 16 weeks which should help considerably.

Goal is to have this finished by April.

Originally Posted by turbinesurgeon
Sounds like you have a good plan of attack. I've found the same info on the C5 hubs. And $300.00 for custom halfshafts? I may be looking in the wrong place, I've been quoted at least 3 times that. Please pm me your info on that, it would end up saving me quite a bit of $$$.

And yes, the Ford 9" carriers are solely to address the odd placement of my engine and drivetrain. The plus side to that is all the options I have for gears and lockers, like detroit tru trac in the front and rear. With the torque transfer most AWD t-cases do (like the BW 4472), this would give you the differential action you are looking for. And it's the reason why I decided to do an AWD conversion in the 1st place.
It's been a few years since I got said halfshafts made. I haven't been in communication with the shop in awhile, but i can check. I think it was $300 per shaft and I had gotten 4 identical shafts. I should also point out that these were not too fancy of a part as they were just machined out of 4130, not 4140 or 4340 (though for axles, it's not the material that's expensive). There was no post machining heat treat either, so maybe that kept the cost down.
Just checked and they were $319/shaft for 4 identical ones. I'll try to find their contact info and PM you later.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

This dead thread needs to come back to life. Some good projects going on.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:57 PM

Default Status

What is the current status of this project? I'm looking to do something similar.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,104 Likes on 2,419 Posts

After NINE YEARS?? Likely DOA....
Old 04-05-2023, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma
After NINE YEARS?? Likely DOA....
Get a hold of Bully Racing. John is doing a Torsen carrier on the front differential for the TBSS guys. He is also offering cryo-treating for cv axles and front differential parts…..
Old 04-05-2023, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,104 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Rekingsfan17
Get a hold of Bully Racing. John is doing a Torsen carrier on the front differential for the TBSS guys. He is also offering cryo-treating for cv axles and front differential parts…..
You're addressing an (now) ELEVEN YEAR OLD THREAD.
I wish you newbies would check post dates...
The following users liked this post:
nleming (04-06-2023)

Quick Reply: AWD operation - Front Diff (Open vs. LSD)