Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1->LS3 erod so I can pass !@#$ CA smog

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Texas ftw!!! Anything 25 yrs and older just require a safety inspection and usually I get lots of compliments on my truck!! Haha
Old 06-22-2013, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Very nice. Pictures?
I posted a few pics earlier in this thread, but here they are again:

But those were with the LS1. Here are a couple with the LS3:

Old 06-22-2013, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Oh, and one more note on the EROD package is that it's designed/approved with a cold-air intake, so no smog issues with the CAI.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

B-E-A-Utiful! Glad your up and running-I always wanted a TA, but ended up with a 78 Z28 that was a lot of fun (back in the early 90's)
Hows that EROD pull in comparison to the LS1?
Old 06-24-2013, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brian g
B-E-A-Utiful! Glad your up and running-I always wanted a TA, but ended up with a 78 Z28 that was a lot of fun (back in the early 90's)
Hows that EROD pull in comparison to the LS1?
Whooeee! Definitely an improvement and I haven't even pushed the new engine much yet because it only has a couple hundred miles on it and because it's currently throwing lean fuel codes so I don't want to push it until that's all been sorted out.

But I did a few WOTs to help seat the rings and that was ... impressive.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Well, LS3Bandit has passed CA smog! The odyssey is nearing the end.

Since the smog ref had said that I didn't need to go to a ref due to the EROD's executive order, after I got the lean fuel codes problem addressed, I went to my local smog station.

He said that I needed a smog ref label. I told him I already went to the smog ref (and showed him the report from the ref) and that the ref told me that because of the executive order, I didn't need the label. He was unconvinced so he called his BAR rep who said that it needed the ref's label. After I talked to the person for a bit, he forwarded us to the local BAR tech. He too said it needed a ref's label. I talked to him for a bit and he said he'd go do some research and get back to us.

20min later he called back and said, "well, this was a new one on us - we haven't dealt with this kit before. But you're right, it appears that it doesn't need a ref's label and that the normal smog station can do the cert." I asked him to repeat that to the smog guy and handed him the phone.

After that, he agreed to do the smog cert. He ended up going over everything with a fine-toothed comb - at least as thorough as the smog ref - largely because he was so nervous about the whole thing. In the end he passed it. It's smog legal now. Woot!!!

Wednesday I go to the DMV to finally get this thing transferred from PA to CA.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 AM
Launching!

The Volk wheels look outstanding on your car. Best of luck with SMOG.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrads ! you need to either keep using the same Smog guy so he will remember.. or find a Smog shop that knows about the CERT.

Great looking car.. maybe I'll see ya around some day !... Were the pictures done off of Linda Mar area beach ?

BC
Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

HUGE milestone. CONGRATS!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bczee
Congrads ! you need to either keep using the same Smog guy so he will remember.. or find a Smog shop that knows about the CERT.
Most definitely. That's part of the reason I picked this shop. He's the owner and has been in business for a number of years, and I'm hoping/expecting he'll be there for a number of years more.

Great looking car.. maybe I'll see ya around some day !... Were the pictures done off of Linda Mar area beach ?

BC
Yup. I took the pics at Rockaway Beach which is just a couple miles north of Linda Mar. I live in Pacifica.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah.. I get down that way once in a while.. one of my Buddies has a 57 Chevy up Linda Mar way..

BC
Old 07-17-2013, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 532 Likes on 336 Posts

Congrats on passing the SMOG testing!! It has been a long time coming. How does she run with the new LS3?

Also, FWIW you may want to think about getting rid of that PS cooler in the upper hose. I have hear bad things about them failing and ruining radiators and PS pumps. My Dad just bought a 2000 SS Camaro and we took that off of his and when he looked at the coolant there was PS fluid in it. We caught it just in time.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Congrats on passing the SMOG testing!! It has been a long time coming.
That's the understatement of the year.

How does she run with the new LS3?
Well, when I was doing the break-in, and did the WOT in 2nd gear I said outloud HOLY ****! And when I picked it up from my local mechanic who I asked to try and diagnose the lean fuel issue, he said "now the efficiency number is a little low but that's because it's based on you being able to be at WOT while running the test, but that scared the hell out of me so it wasn't quite at WOT."

Needless to say it's nothing like the original engine. More than twice the HP, more than twice the MPG, and overall (including other changes) at least 700lb lighter. All the new suspension parts make it drive so much better than the original too. Freaking fantastic.

The interesting thing I noticed the other day, since I have a ScanGauge plugged into the OBD-II port for monitoring the computer, is that my MPG is better at 80+ than it is from 60-80. I think it's that the gearing puts me right in the sweet-spot of the power band in 6th at 80. "Sorry officer, I was just trying to do my part to help the environment."

But it does still need a tune. That's next wednesday at Synergy.

Also, FWIW you may want to think about getting rid of that PS cooler in the upper hose. I have hear bad things about them failing and ruining radiators and PS pumps. My Dad just bought a 2000 SS Camaro and we took that off of his and when he looked at the coolant there was PS fluid in it. We caught it just in time.
Hmmm... I was noticing the other day that the fluid in the tube to the overflow had a reddish tint. I was thinking that the shop might have put something like water wetter or something similar in for the coolant, but maybe that was PS fluid. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

BTW, to be clear in my previous post, when I refer to the original engine, I mean the original 1978 engine. I just realized it might be confusing since this thread is LS1->LS3.

But there's definitely a very noticeable difference between this LS3 and the LS1 I had in there previously.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 532 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Bandit
Hmmm... I was noticing the other day that the fluid in the tube to the overflow had a reddish tint. I was thinking that the shop might have put something like water wetter or something similar in for the coolant, but maybe that was PS fluid. Thanks for the heads-up!
I wasn't sure how you would react as I don't like criticizing someones build. Especially yours as it is goregous. And that is exactly what my dad's looked like. It was basically the oil and water effect. The oil was floating on the top of the coolant.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am using those cooler on my 2 swaps.. I have had no problems so far (7 years on the Chevelle), but maybe because I am using the green stuff for coolant.

I had problem of the PS fluild getting hot and causing problems with the steering (Locking Up). Once I added the cooler, it resolved the issue.

But I will keep an eye out for oil and coolant being mixed together ... Not saying everyone should use them or that they are not problematic.. but it works for me.

thanks for the info on the cooler problems.

BC
Old 07-17-2013, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

I wasn't sure how you would react as I don't like criticizing someones build.
I always welcome constructive criticism. Now destructive or pointless criticism ...
Old 06-05-2017, 04:58 AM
Teching In

Sorry to open revive an old thread but I can't find anything close to what I am looking for any no replies on my own thread.

I also have a 78 TA with an E-Rod LS3 already purchased. What tank did you end up using in order to pass CA smog? Anyone know?
Old 06-05-2017, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gearhead67
Holy crap... wouldn't it be cheaper to move back to the United States of America?! LOL. Cali is a beautiful place to visit, but I couldn't handle the government's hands around my throat all the time. What a bummer dude. Sounds like you put together a cool ride only to have it become frustrating. Sorry man... good luck.
NO freaking DOUBT!! There's a pretty good bit of demand for my skills in Cali, & I could definitely make more money than I am now - but the 'insanity quotient' there is just off the charts. Not even remotely worth it to me...

Really glad to see that the OP was able to persevere through all of that,& get to enjoy his vehicle, but it shouldn't be that damn hard!! It's like something you read about the Soviet-style bureaucracies...
Old 06-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Yeah, this CARB CRAP thing really blows in CA. Doesn't even make any sense at all to have a visual inspection when your car can end up being 10X cleaner without using CARB certified equipment. Anyway...

...so what to do about the tank?

As I was saying...I also have a 78 TA with an E-Rod LS3 already purchased. What tank did you end up using in order to pass CA smog? Anyone know? I keep reading you need to use a stock tank or a CARB tank and none of them that fit my 78 have an internal pump.

Quick Reply: LS1->LS3 erod so I can pass !@#$ CA smog