Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1->LS3 erod so I can pass !@#$ CA smog

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 06:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 464 Likes on 350 Posts

CARB won't stop until everyone is driving Tesla's or hydrogen powered Hondas and Toyotas and has homes powered by wind and solar. Or until everyone leaves the state. Whichever comes first.

78TA - because of the age of the thread, you might want to send a PM to whoever you're asking the question of....they may not be subscribed any longer.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 532 Likes on 336 Posts

If you have to use the stock tank, couldn't you just add a recessed panel to the tank and use the Tanks, Inc. unit?
Old 10-27-2017, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody got a guy who will pass smog in the bay area?? My guy in LA is way to far and i rather just pay someone to pass it than buy new cats.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Bandit
OK, I just got off the phone with the shop. Apparently what was sent to him from the smog ref was this:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

With the section on fuel tanks being highlighted:

“Replacement fuel tanks must be identical to the original part. Add-on fuel tanks, or tanks with greater capacity than the original tank are legal for street use only if they have been issued an Executive Order.”

And they're saying that for the purposes of engine conversions, that "original part" means original to the donor engine.
Sorry to revive an old thread. But given that others may be encountering this problem, it is worthwhile to point out that this refers to REPLACEMENT fuel tanks. In other words, if your gas tank was to rust away or be physically destroyed by road debris, rocks, etc., it must be replaced by a ‘like’ replacement. It does NOT say that you must use the fuel tank from a donor vehicle in a swap. In fact, if you read on and click on engine swap guidelines, those guidelines state

”If a non-OBD II certified vehicle is receiving an OBD II certified replacement engine, the transmission and fuel storage/evaporative system from the recipient vehicle may still be used. However, these components and systems must be integrated with the engine’s OBD II system such that the OBD system’s transmission and evaporative system monitoring strategies remain operational.”

This would indicate that it is FINE to use your stock gas tank, provided that the OBDII evaporative emissions system remains operational. This would mean, for instance, that you could use your stock tank. But you MUST, for instance, use the OBDII fuel tank pressure sensor and vent valve. Maybe if you could not have OBDII functionality with the original tank, THEN you would need to swap the tank over.

Of course, like others have said here, different refs seem to play by their own sets of rules. Others might look at the aforementioned rule for replacement gas tanks and figure this applies to swaps. I have encountered these sorts of things myself - cars that fail at one ref have passed just fine at another one. In other words, if your car fails, find another ref. And if necessary, bring these lists along with you just in case.

Last edited by StorminMatt; 04-28-2022 at 04:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (04-28-2022)

Quick Reply: LS1->LS3 erod so I can pass !@#$ CA smog