Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM7/Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to GUESS, I would say about the same as the GEMS right now, although the motor is still breaking in.
Say maybe 18-20 on a run, @15-17 around town. Mind, it is also a little difficult to keep my foot out of it too, so take that into consideration......

Martin
Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin
If I had to GUESS, I would say about the same as the GEMS right now, although the motor is still breaking in.
Say maybe 18-20 on a run, @15-17 around town. Mind, it is also a little difficult to keep my foot out of it too, so take that into consideration......

Martin
thanks. Thats not too bad given the weight of the car plus the added power at hand. If you do happen to take readings please do post them up.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Launching!

The LM7 had a melt down, so now this is between the rails....
LM7/Range Rover-lq4-.jpg
Low mileage LQ4 we think, although a possibility exists for it being an LQ9, either way it will work.

Martin
Old 10-11-2014, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

keep us posted on the new motor.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Healthy 6.0, LS6 intake and injectors etc, and an ECM tune....did this to the adapter shaft I made.
LM7/Range Rover-adapter-shaft-broke1.jpg

Currently it is in WV getting priced for a custom one piece shaft that will also be hardened.
Oh well, it went right in front of my house after some "spirited" test driving, so it saved me having to grab the trailer!
Tranny would not shift out of first unless the revs were pretty high, but had no VSS hooked up neither, so hopefully that was that.

Martin
Old 12-02-2014, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

In for updates. Getting ready do this swap in D2.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Got a new adapter shaft to test, and it is perfect.
Sent it back for hardening to Rockwell 60.
I had a bunch of five made, if anyone is into the swap. This is by far the hardest part to make, as it has to be a custom shaft due to the Rovers offset rear differential, thus needing the Rover transfer case.
LM7/Range Rover-adaptershaftweb.jpg

Martin
Old 01-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Updating the thread some...
Got a VSS signal for the 4L60E from the Rover transfer case VSS. Its the same waveform etc, just lower reading. The engine see's @25mph when the vehicle is actually going @33mph. Will get the ecm programmed for the lower PPM's. Shifts high in the rpm range when flooring it, otherwise it works fine.
Radiator cap kept blowing coolant out. Figured out it had a 16psi cap on the FSR radiator, and the Rover's header tank has a 20psi cap on it. Swapped on a 28-30psi Stant and it is leak free. Runs at 198 degrees in this weather with the radiator and Taurus fan hooked up to its own controller.
Redid the motor mounts to ploy bushed ones, as the Rover ones aren't up to the weight or the torque of the 6.0 motor.
Now onto figuring out the XYZ switch to get the transfer case shifting into low range and illuminate the shifter lights correctly.
It drives GREAT though! A massive improvement over the built 4.6 it had before, as well as others I have built for folks in Land Rovers and Range Rovers.
The guy that made the adapter shaft did an excellent job after some test fitting before hardening, some back and forth with UPS and so on. I can get them made for just under $400 if I get a could of orders.
I also have the adapter plates getting put into a CNC file for CNC plasma cutting. Waiting on a price on those.
Didn't know if anyone else is interested in this swap or not?

Martin
Old 01-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Here is how it looks under the hood now. Lots better than the truck intake.
LM7/Range Rover-engine-baylq9-web.jpg

Martin
Old 01-20-2015, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

nice work.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Nice work, I was thinking a way around the custom adaptor and shaft might be to use a Landcruiser 80 transfer case as it is offset front and rear (not sure if distance is ok tho) but they make a nice adaptor for all GM automatics .
Old 01-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Launching!

IIRC, wrong side.
The adapter shafts are under $400 shipped though, so not a deal breaker in my book. How much are the adapter kits from a GM trans to a Yota trans case?

Martin
Old 12-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Teching In

LeftLane,

Can you provide an update? How has the swap worked out? I'm interested in more detail as to your approach to the swap - it seems that "full integration" of the LSx electronics into working with all the Range Rover's multiple PCMs, SLABS, BCUs, etc would be a nightmare - I assume you are running the LSx PCM in parallel to the RR ECM? This is kind of an important point for most people who may want to attempt ANY swap into a modern Land Rover as most won't work.

So, what works and what doesn't? A/C? Hill Descent Control? ABS? Thanks!

-Cabel
Old 12-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Both sets of wiring are there, thus why everything works.
The ONLY thing that is not hooked up is the cruise control. This is because of where the LSx throttle body is vs the P38 throttle body. Yeah I could do it easy enough, but have not been bothered to be honest. ABS, TC, HVAC, etc, all work as before. Factory tach and speedo work as before too.
I think I just cooked the LQ4 though. Put on a PRW high flow water pump, and apparently the pulley was not screwed on too tight! Yep, belt snapped, water pump stopped pumping, and I tried to limp it home. My how engines smell funny at times.....lol
No biggie as it was a junk yard motor that I have never opened up, so looks like it's coming out unless by some miracle its still happy.

Martin
Old 12-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Sweet! That's the approach I intend to use. Too bad about the LQ4 but their seem to be plenty around. I'm looking at the LR4 4.8L as I don't think that one will ever overpower the ZF4HP22 transmission. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Well, if you want warranty out of PRW, think again. I repaired the pulley and drilled/tapped 4 new holes. New bolts and red threadlocker, it's done.
New motor seems very good. Only broke in the camshaft but it fired right up after priming the oil and fuel systems with some cranking with no plugs.
For the money, $3064 to my door and no core, I couldn't beat the HP97 ATK motor. I was very impressed with it when it got here, and all the included name brand gaskets, oil pump, etc.
As it sits now...
LM7/Range Rover-hp97.jpg
My youngest liked the painted intakes, so it got painted. His opinion is more valuable than anyone elses
Will update with some driving time.
After extending the wiring harness to run behind the motor, switching motors, and so on, all I had was a vacuum leak due to a bad elbow on a hose!

Martin
Old 12-21-2015, 08:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, if you want warranty out of PRW, think again. I repaired the pulley and drilled/tapped 4 new holes. New bolts and red threadlocker, it's done.
New motor seems very good. Only broke in the camshaft but it fired right up after priming the oil and fuel systems with some cranking with no plugs.
For the money, $3064 to my door and no core, I couldn't beat the HP97 ATK motor. I was very impressed with it when it got here, and all the included name brand gaskets, oil pump, etc.
As it sits now...
Attachment 521793
My youngest liked the painted intakes, so it got painted. His opinion is more valuable than anyone elses
Will update with some driving time.
After extending the wiring harness to run behind the motor, switching motors, and so on, all I had was a vacuum leak due to a bad elbow on a hose!

Martin
Looks great in there Martin, I think the blue intake makes it pop adding some contrast. Glad to hear everything went great, keep me updated.

Thank you for letting us be apart of your build.

Brandon
Old 12-21-2015, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Thank you again Brandon.
So far its going great, just have to get the ecm set up for the new injectors etc.
It says in the install guide to check valve clearances etc after a couple hundred miles. Is that required on this particular engine?

Martin
Old 12-22-2015, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you again Brandon.
So far its going great, just have to get the ecm set up for the new injectors etc.
It says in the install guide to check valve clearances etc after a couple hundred miles. Is that required on this particular engine?

Martin
Nope, its a Hyd. Roller setup so you're gtg. My only suggestion is dont let it sit there and idle, worse thing you can do for a new engine. Build up that cylinder pressure to seat the rings by getting into her and enjoy
Old 12-22-2015, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Thanks Brandon, will follow your instructions mate!

Martin

Quick Reply: LM7/Range Rover