Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header selection on LS swap in 69 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a set of hooker headers. They are coated, hopefully they will last. 500 bucks off a local guy that bought the wrong ones for his car. They were going to hit his mechanical linkage on old school 4 speed set up with an LS conversion. Im running auto so I won't have that problem.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ceramic coated Stainless Steel Doug Thorley headers here, PLENTY of clearance. I am working on engine angle and lowered the front of the engine to where a stock LS F body pan was inches from the crossmember and they will still clear (barely) the steering box. My point is these headers tuck nice and clear the steering box, very versatile. Give Jaime a call at Doug Thorley if you want to grab one of the first sets... OH, forgot to mention, they are step design as well:-)

Old 01-06-2014, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

I'll go head to head with you in a little header grudge match action MisterD

Posted here for consideration is the new Hooker 1st-gen 1-7/8" long-tubes connected to the Hooker 3" exhaust system showing under the car. The engine and trans are in at 3 degrees using the new Hooker engine mounts and transmission crossmember (measured with the subframe set level to the ground as you have done also). We make the long-tubes in mild steel and stainless steel (last photo) and offer mid-lengths as well. Have you figured out which way you are going to go with your transmission crossmember yet?
Attached Thumbnails Header selection on LS swap in 69 camaro-img_2392.jpg   Header selection on LS swap in 69 camaro-img_2390.jpg   Header selection on LS swap in 69 camaro-img_2374.jpg   Header selection on LS swap in 69 camaro-large2276-7_2of3.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wink

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I'll go head to head with you in a little header grudge match action MisterD

Posted here for consideration is the new Hooker 1st-gen 1-7/8" long-tubes connected to the Hooker 3" exhaust system showing under the car. The engine and trans are in at 3 degrees using the new Hooker engine mounts and transmission crossmember (measured with the subframe set level to the ground as you have done also). We make the long-tubes in mild steel and stainless steel (last photo) and offer mid-lengths as well. Have you figured out which way you are going to go with your transmission crossmember yet?

LOL, gotta love it! Todd you have been a great source of knowledge for my driveline angle woes and I thank you for that. My ATS crossmember worked perfect. I have added the short frame stands (302 Z/28) and the "short wide" motor mounts (standard V-8) to bring the front of the engine down quite a bit (now it sits at 0-1 degree down at the tailshaft:-). I plan on raising the engine a tad and raising the back of the transmission slightly to get that sweet spot I'm looking for (3 degrees). The Doug Thorley Headers will clear everything and tuck just fine even with the current set up at such an extreme angle. I am certain that these are some of the most versatile fitting headers I have seen for 67-69 camaro swappers.

With that said, I definitely plan to use your new Holley pan for this swap for front sump/crossmember clearance and will likely use an alternator relocation bracket as well. It really is great to see so many great options currently on the market for us first gen swappers.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterD
LOL, gotta love it! Todd you have been a great source of knowledge for my driveline angle woes and I thank you for that. My ATS crossmember worked perfect. I have added the short frame stands (302 Z/28) and the "short wide" motor mounts (standard V-8) to bring the front of the engine down quite a bit (now it sits at 0-1 degree down at the tailshaft:-). I plan on raising the engine a tad and raising the back of the transmission slightly to get that sweet spot I'm looking for (3 degrees). The Doug Thorley Headers will clear everything and tuck just fine even with the current set up at such an extreme angle. I am certain that these are some of the most versatile fitting headers I have seen for 67-69 camaro swappers.

With that said, I definitely plan to use your new Holley pan for this swap for front sump/crossmember clearance and will likely use an alternator relocation bracket as well. It really is great to see so many great options currently on the market for us first gen swappers.
I was just having a little fun with you as the opportunity was too good to pass up misterD. In all seriousness, the headers you have look good and I'm sure they're work well for those willing to sort through the bits and pieces of their swap one step at a time they way you have and be willing and perform the back-and-forth fine tuning of the installed geometry in the way you have been working through the process. Our intention was to provide something a little different through a system of components that provide known inclination angles and component clearances up-front and that guarantee the user that their engine mounts, transmission crossmember, oil pan, headers and exhaust system will all be bolt-in compatible while providing optimized fitment and operational geometry. The two guys from the Roadkill web show swapped an LS7/4L60 combination into the Crusher Camaro using all the new Hooker parts at the PRI show in 3 days using nothing but hand tools and drove the car 2,700 miles back to California immediately after the show. That in itself should indicated the ease of installation and use the Hooker parts provide. For anyone wanting to do a quality LS swap in a 1st-gen over a weekend with a few buddies while drinking a few beers, we provide the parts to allow you to do that.

Quick Reply: Header selection on LS swap in 69 camaro