Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 swap into a C4 ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

In the Holley line, the teminator X is the lowest in the lineup. It has 4 inputs and 4 outputs. So it should be able to handle the switch input. In mine for example, I'll be running 2 outputs to trigger the main and secondary cooling fans, one for a 4k PPM output to drive the stock speedometer. I'll run inputs from the AC system and a few others (brain is foggy this morning). Good setup for most street cars. Moving up to the Dominator ECU gives tons more inputs and output controls, but at about 3 times the price.

I don't think there is any way to import a non Holley tune. You might need to retune anyway, as you will have intake and exhaust differences in your car vs his.

That's the same frame as the LT1 cars. There are a few options for engine mounts. Are you mounting the engine in the same position as the LT5? (By this, I mean, is the rear surface of the engine where the transmission mates to in the same place as the LT5?).

Option 1 would be to use LT1 Engine mounts (get both the rubber mount and the block mounts), and a set of LS to SBC mount plates, to achieve the engine setback that you need. In my case, this is what I am doing. I am switching from a Dana 36 to a Dana 44 as the same time, which has a longer pinion snout. So, I would either need to shorten the C-beam and driveshaft or move the engine forward about 3/4-1". So I am using engine plates that move the engine forward about 3/4 to 1 inch(I forget the exact amount). This helps also on clearance at the firewall, where the LS heads are tighter to the rear.

Option 2 would be to look into C5 LS1 engine mounts, they are an aluminum stand, I think they bolt into or close to the LT1 holes.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Here are my mounts. You can see the silver plate that bolts to the LS, and then the black LT1 engine side mount, then the rubber mount with the stud at the bottom for the frame. You could also easily fab a plate to bolt to the engine and then have 2 ears (basically, this is all the first 2 pieces do) to mount to the C4 LT1 rubber mount. It accepts 1 large bolt through the top to hold the engine.

Also pictured are the thermal covers that were on mine, covering the rubber mounts. I assume they are factory.

The following users liked this post:
1991Z07 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen some "offset" mounts as well to allow fore/aft movement to further fine-tune engine location.

Since this is a "track car" only...I'll be going with solid motor mounts to eliminate a failure point.

I hear you on the C-beam...I've got a couple ideas on mine and will wait until I get to that stage before exploring further.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

It should be pretty easy to fab up solid mounts. If by chance C5 stands line up with where you want, there are solid mounts available for those to replace the rubber biscuit portion.

If it's a track day car, definitely look into the Datalogging capabilities in a Holley system, especially paired with one of the digital dashes, it'd be a nice setup. It's be cool to feed in a couple accelerometers into 2 of the inputs. Then you can watch temps and fuel pressures combined with G loads. From my measurements the 12.3" dash likely doesn't fit, but I was going to dig into a custom cluster in phase 2. I designed instrument clusters for 15 years for the big 3, including digital dashes up to the 12.3" size. They are always a challenge to package, but I haven't opened up behind the dash to see what room is available.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:22 PM
Staging Lane

Not impressed with the Holley dashes...they are good for a street-driver but not what I'd want as a race dash. The Holley 6.6" Pro dash is about 2/3 the size of the AIM MXG 1.2, which WILL barely fit in the space between the steering column and the arc of the stock binnacle. Data logging out the butt...and a nice full-color display as well.

I downloaded the templates for them all and pulled the plexi cover off and laid them in to see what would work with that dash configuration.

Last edited by 1991Z07; 04-28-2020 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Just heard back from AIM...the Terminator X will NOT work with their stuff. If I want to use Holley it needs to be either the HP EFI system or the Dominator EFI. Grrrr...

So...how is the HP EFI compared to the Terminator X? Looking at some of the specs right now...doesn't look too bad. A little more than the Terminator system but only by about $500...
Old 04-29-2020, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Just heard back from AIM...the Terminator X will NOT work with their stuff. If I want to use Holley it needs to be either the HP EFI system or the Dominator EFI. Grrrr...

So...how is the HP EFI compared to the Terminator X? Looking at some of the specs right now...doesn't look too bad. A little more than the Terminator system but only by about $500...
The HP is a more capable ECU, buy also has limited inputs and outputs. The main difference between the HP and the Terminator X is that the HP can drive low impedance injectors. If you want the ultimate flexibility and a crazy amount of inputs and outputs, as well as DBW, the Dominator is your best option.

Andrew
Old 04-29-2020, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The HP is a more capable ECU, buy also has limited inputs and outputs. The main difference between the HP and the Terminator X is that the HP can drive low impedance injectors. If you want the ultimate flexibility and a crazy amount of inputs and outputs, as well as DBW, the Dominator is your best option.

Andrew
I don't "need" a crazy amount of inputs & outputs. It's a "race car"...I need to monitor pressures, temperatures and engine functions. Not much more than that...

The Dominator is 3x the price...worth the expense for the application? Not so sure...
Old 04-29-2020, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Well, HP can't do drive by wire, I don't think..
Old 04-30-2020, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

It says in their documentation: "Simple Installation - Plug and Play control of GM LS2/LS3/LS7 engines. Just plug the harness into your factory sensors, wire the power and grounds and you are ready to take complete control of your LS engine"

It sounds like it will to me...but I'm calling them to ask.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Haggar
Well, HP can't do drive by wire, I don't think..
That is correct. The lowest cost option for DBW support is the TerminatorX Max.

Andrew
Old 04-30-2020, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 526 Likes on 389 Posts

you are doing a zr1 with a hpr468.... i think a higher end ecm than a terminatorx is appropriate. I doubt you will regret the flexibility that the more fully featured ecms offer.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
you are doing a zr1 with a hpr468.... i think a higher end ecm than a terminatorx is appropriate. I doubt you will regret the flexibility that the more fully featured ecms offer.
I agree...although the motor was just pulled from a C6 Z06 and has been running (and winning) using the stock ECM with a tune for the last 3 years...

I'm going to need to pick an ECM that works with the digital dash display I want...so the quest begins.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 526 Likes on 389 Posts

I have the same motor with stock ecu in a z06, it was a good buy, incredible motor. Personally, i think the stock ecu would be a better choice than the terminator x, but I would use the higher end holley over the terminator x.
1991Z07 (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
I have the same motor with stock ecu in a z06, it was a good buy, incredible motor. Personally, i think the stock ecu would be a better choice than the terminator x, but I would use the higher end holley over the terminator x.
My only issue with that is how to drive an aftermarket dash with the stock ECU...I've completely gutted the wiring on the car because it was old, chewed on by rodents and most of it was not going to be needed in a track-only car.

I've got time to look for options...
Old 05-01-2020, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

My only issue with that is how to drive an aftermarket dash with the stock ECU...I've completely gutted the wiring on the car because it was old, chewed on by rodents and most of it was not going to be needed in a track-only car.

Holley owns Racepack, will one of their dashes work for you?

Andrew
Old 05-01-2020, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Holley owns Racepack, will one of their dashes work for you?

Andrew
The IQ3 "might" fit...barely. It's going to come withing a few 1/16's of touching the steering column if it does.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

I went to Dallas yesterday and picked up the motor...drove it over to HPR and dropped it off for them to give it a refresh. Looks like about 10 weeks to get it back right now...but will be more than worth it in the end.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:15 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice to see the dream still alive!

1991Z07 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I’ve really come to like the AEM infinity after using in a series where it’s a spec ECU. It’s very capable and the AEM digital dash is a nice piece. It also pairs well with AIM displays.
1991Z07 (05-22-2020)

Quick Reply: LS7 swap into a C4 ZR1