Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lsx mustang exhaust help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lsx mustang exhaust help...

Im in the works on my swap and ran into a lil problem...I have a aje k member and mounts and the the motor is in place...went to install my Kooks headers passenger side went on with ease but driver side collecter is hitting floor board...
Can this be that there is no trans in the car to add a lil tilt to the back of motor,or that the car is on jack stands and the front of car is flexed in a hunch position...has this happin to any one here...thanks for any help
Old 01-10-2013, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine went on while on jackstands but I had the t56 in. My issue with the Kooks was they didnt clear the stock steering shaft by a long shot. They barely cleared with a max motorsports shaft. Id get the trans in and see what happens although its not gonna change the angle much.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Ya this sucks....I've had the car on stands for a couole weeks now but still cant see ther been that much flex in the car...and I won't have a trans till I order one in the next week or two..
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Would having the motor plates on backwards you think cause the motor to be front heavy??? I have the points on the plates facing the rear...
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

you got 3 holes on each side to line up right ??? You need to open up the holes also so theres a little slop..Can you tighten the bell housing bolts from the top ?....you might need to move the top knuckle on the steering shaft towards the firewall as much as you can..........i had to and then i needed to order a longer steering shaft....What trans ???? Do you have the AJE trans crossmember yet ??
Old 01-10-2013, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by booboo37
you got 3 holes on each side to line up right ??? You need to open up the holes also so theres a little slop..Can you tighten the bell housing bolts from the top ?....you might need to move the top knuckle on the steering shaft towards the firewall as much as you can..........i had to and then i needed to order a longer steering shaft....What trans ???? Do you have the AJE trans crossmember yet ??
Yup got the 3 bolts in....havnt got the trans yet but looks like i will be able too...next was to buy steering shaft....Wich one should i go with?? Going with a glide or th350...and no crossmember till I make up my mind on trans.....I'm hoping once I put trans in it will settle down a lil in the rear...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Streamline for more header clearance.....don`t cut the shaft till you get the new trans on the new trans mount.... FR1504MLP
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Streamline for more header clearance.....don`t cut the shaft till you get the new trans on the new trans mount.... FR1504MLP
Ok cool ill look into that...
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

I'm doing similar swap..my driver header was also hitting the floor..I adjusted the motor directly in the middle of the holes on the mounts to the crossmember..it gave it just enough clearance..but when you bolt the trans up,it will also bring the rear down a little bit..I also have a problem with the driver header being directly in front of the tranny crossmember mounts on the frame..I'm gonna have to cut the collector back about 2"
Old 01-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

first thing is check the motor mounts make sure they are in the correct position.
but when i put the motor in my mustang the engine didnt move much with the trans installed . the AJE bushings are very rigid
Attached Thumbnails lsx mustang exhaust help...-cimg1073-medium-.jpg   lsx mustang exhaust help...-dscn1049-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vnmous97
first thing is check the motor mounts make sure they are in the correct position.
but when i put the motor in my mustang the engine didnt move much with the trans installed . the AJE bushings are very rigid
You need to get you a f-body oil pan...

Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Builtz71
I'm doing similar swap..my driver header was also hitting the floor..I adjusted the motor directly in the middle of the holes on the mounts to the crossmember..it gave it just enough clearance..but when you bolt the trans up,it will also bring the rear down a little bit..I also have a problem with the driver header being directly in front of the tranny crossmember mounts on the frame..I'm gonna have to cut the collector back about 2"
I don't think moving the plates will give the clearance I need....I'm going to bolt up a old th400 I have to see if it will do......are you running a auto or Manuel trans...
Old 01-11-2013, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vnmous97
Mounts are just like yours....I'm hoping the trans will fix problem if I give the motor a lil push I can see the passenger side collecter drop a lil from the floor board and pass..side is already bolted up..
Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

You need to get you a f-body oil pan...

Haha...ya way more clearance
Old 01-12-2013, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ls_Nova
I don't think moving the plates will give the clearance I need....I'm going to bolt up a old th400 I have to see if it will do......are you running a auto or Manuel trans...
I'm running a th400...

Quick Reply: lsx mustang exhaust help...