Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6L80E Shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6L80E Shifter question

So after a long break on my 62 Nova L92/6L80e build, I'm back and trying to remember all the research I did and have forgotten. I found all the posts discussing shifters, but I haven't found my answer yet. I've decided to use one of the B&M shifters, probably something like the pro-stick. But my question is about the shift detents on a 6L80e. I was playing with the shift lever and it seems that there are 7 detents...which doesn't make sense. The 2008 escalade cluster shows PRNDM. So what are the other 2 detents? I was originally thinking something like PRND321 until I saw the cluster. Can anyone with experience with the 6L's explain this? I would really appreciate it.

RK
Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen nothing other than PRNDM for the 6L80. That is what I made up for my gear shifter except mine is PRNDD1.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

What shifter did you end up using?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

I haven't yet. Motor and trans will be going into the car in March. Right now I am planning on using the factory column shifter and that is what the indicator is for that I made up. If I have to go to a floor mount I will make up something accordingly.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

The 6L80 I’m using is out of a 2010 Camaro and it has at least one or two more detents than the 2012 Malibu shifter has that I got from Speartech. Not sure what the others besides PRND actually are supposed to do. I currently only get one below D, but shifting into it doesn't seem to have any effect. I had assumed they were to be used for the tap up tap down shifting. But unfortunately that isn't something that is currently working with my conversion.

Sorry I'm not any help.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Junkie

"I currently only get one below D, but shifting into it doesn't seem to have any effect."

It was my understanding that is 5th gear which is still and overdrive but obviously still not has high as 6th gear. That is why I put in D1 on mine.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Interesting, so in other words you think if I'm cruising in 6th if I shift down to that I'd notice it shift down one gear right? Not sure I've tried that before.

I'll be driving to work tomorrow so I will check that out.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Whilst playing with my 6L80E I noticed the transmission has a heap more stops at the shift lever than the shifter has detents.

Any one know why that is?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Zuffen, that was the question I had that started this thread. So far I have not found a solid answer. Because I plan on using the TUTD provisions that the trans. has, I don't think it really matters in my case. I have pretty much decided after hearing the feedback that I will just set the shifter up to use PRNDM. So there will be 2 detents (or stops) not used. I would say if you're not using TUTD, you might be interested in the two additional detents for downshifting. Sound right to everyone?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Junkie

"I would say if you're not using TUTD, you might be interested in the two additional detents for downshifting. Sound right to everyone?"

I have never seen mentioned before what the additional detents are for. I am as interested as anyone. The only thing I have seen mentioned are the 5 positions as has been pointed out. So if anyone has additional information I am all ears.

By the way that was the reason I am keeping my column shift. Going to be using the Ididit column shifter cable. I also ran the TUTD wire into the dash area incase I decide to use that feature.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Teching In

I'm using TUTD without the BCM.

Anyone know how to set up a shift indicator (so I know what gear its in) without the BCM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

"I'm using TUTD without the BCM."

Let us know the particulars. Do you have a thread on it?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Sorry no thread.

I had my engine loom modified by an Auto Sparky in Brisbane Australia and he aded two micro switches to the shifter as up and down switches.

He then gave me a small programm ona flash drive to upload into the trans tat allowed it to work. I needed to use EFI Live for it to work or I had to get a Vette version for HP to do it.

Apparently he has plenty of them working down here.

The only problem is there's no gear indicator for you to know what gear it's in but I figure I'll get used to it and know what gear its in. After all we don't look at a manual shifter to decide what gear the cars in.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

He might have given you the Corvette file for the 6L80 transmission in order to use the TUTD without a BCM. I have read that there may be some resistors needed along with the toggle switches.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 AM
Teching In

I don't have any resistors in the shifter and the loom from the engine looks fairly unmolested.

I guess he isn't giving away any trade secrets but interesting to know it can be done, even if you can't see what gear you're in.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Teching In

I used my ArtCar shifter from my 700R4 and it is working fine. I did get the TUTD option from Speartech but I think I need to put the Corvette file the the trans in order to get the TUTD to work.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

JRSTI, I got my shifter and harness from Speartech as well. Maybe that's why my TUTD shifting isn't working either. How would I go about flashing the trans with the corvette code? Did he give you that? I didn't get one.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

what i have found from gm tech site and conversations is that
the detents are for park,reverse, neutral,auto, manual.
the other detents do not serve any other function
so all you need is a powerglide shift quadrant indicator p,r,n,d,L (manual)
with the lever in manual a tu/td switch will now shift gears
this is also how the G8 GT shifter works
in manual mode an electronic signal is sent to the ecm/tcm to change gears.

talked to people at psi (performance systems intergration )
and alo mentione reprograming tcm for corvette file

putting a L76 /6L80E combo in a 1952 chevy Fleetline
I am trying to find a way to use a 2010 silverado tu/td column mounted stalk
anyone tried this yet.
on my steering column.

Last edited by sfiore; 04-29-2014 at 12:27 AM. Reason: additinal information
Old 04-29-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you all know, the A6 can not be mechanically shifted like the older A4's. Each drive detent is just selecting a preprogrammed shifting option. Just some more info on the detents for the 6L80

D (D6 in scanner/tune)
M (D4 in scanner/tune, Manual/ Sport mode also allows activation of the Paddle Shifters)
D3 (next detent, can be programmed as programmer wishes/sport/ tow haul...)
D2 (same a D3)

Acually they all can be programmed in whatever manner you wish.

More stuff:

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...rence-Material
Old 04-29-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To add some info to the thread....Lokar does not make a specific shifter for the 6L80, yet.

I used a floor mounted Lokar cable operated shifter for a 4L60 to work with the 6L80, which was fairly easy to adapt to my application. I modified (cut and weld) the stock cable mount on the driver's side of the trans to change the angle at which the cable points towards the selector lever on the trans. The Lokar mount attaches to the oil pan.

I also modified the stock selector lever by counter sinking the cable attachment hole for clearance for the hardware against the side of the trans. Lokar uses a rod end with a counter sunk machine screw to attach the end of the cable to the selector lever.

I posted a thread a while ago asking if you could apply different programs to the detents.

That is great news that you can do this.

What programmer is necessary to add a sport mode to another detent?

I've shifted mine in to the manual setting - M detent (with no TU / TD buttons or BCM) and didn't recognize any difference in shift points, etc. Not sure I did it in 6th gear on the freeway to see if it downshifts to 5th. I'll try that.
Mine comes from a 2008 Yukon Denali and has the stock TCM tune. And is installed in a 1951 Ford pickup.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails 6L80E Shifter question-img_0161.jpg  

Quick Reply: 6L80E Shifter question