Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Blue Balls // Fairmont

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

so how did you decide on the 01 GT K member?? Im planning on putting an LQ4 in my 1967 Galaxie 500 and have been trying to come up with a good method for mounting the motor since obviously nobody makes swap mounts for an LS motor in a Galaxie.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
so how did you decide on the 01 GT K member?? Im planning on putting an LQ4 in my 1967 Galaxie 500 and have been trying to come up with a good method for mounting the motor since obviously nobody makes swap mounts for an LS motor in a Galaxie.
Well, for the 67, I'm afraid you're going to have to make some motor mounts as I'm not aware of any company that makes them. Easiest bet may be to get the 4 bolt (ls) to 3 bolt (sbc) adapter plates, get some sbc clam shells and lower mounts, and drill the cross-member to fit.

79-04 Mustangs, Fairmonts, Zephyr, LTDII, Thunderbirds are all part of the "fox chassis" Since they all share the front subframe more or less, and same style 4 link rear, all rear ends and k members interchange somewhat. Hence why I can use an 01 GT k member in an 81 Fairmont.. making it an easy solution to swap to.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ahhhh....ok, that makes sense....I didnt realize the Fiarmont was also a fox platform. Either way, very interested in watching your progress. After I start mine, Ill be posting a build thread of my own.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
ahhhh....ok, that makes sense....I didnt realize the Fiarmont was also a fox platform. Either way, very interested in watching your progress. After I start mine, Ill be posting a build thread of my own.
Sounds awesome man! With the availability and power per dollar, you really can't beat these Vortec motors. I have three engines sitting in my garage that I have paid at most $80 for. So they are pretty cheap (in most cases).
Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 AM
Teching In

Haha nice! Now I get to relive another Fairmont build.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am borrowing an Art Carr 3800 stall Nitrous converter from a friend to see how I like it. It was spec'd for his Mustang which weighs about the same, and has anti balloon plates. Well see how it performs. Today I got a snow day off of school, so I may utilize this day and get my suspension finished!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Too damn cold to work on it right now, freezing rain, 24deg with 40mph winds, **** that. I'll just browse the forums until it's warmer outside lol

Just ordered my Microsquirt, harness, resistors, 3bar map and IAT needed to run this bad puppy. Thanks again to Denmah for answering a lot of questions and for his help!

That way I can lay the harness out on one of my spare motors and it it wired up while I'm waiting for other stuff to come in
Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finished all the suspension and put it back together. Nothing to exciting but it is progress. I cut a coil out of the front suspension to get the stance down, and also because it's freakin impossible to get a stock length spring back up under these bastards!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by superbean
Sounds awesome man! With the availability and power per dollar, you really can't beat these Vortec motors. I have three engines sitting in my garage that I have paid at most $80 for. So they are pretty cheap (in most cases).
I wish they were that cheap around here. Best I have come across is $800 for a very high mileage 5.3. Most are in the $1200 range.

One wrecking yard dominates and pretty much controls the market around here.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is inspiring. I've been eyeballing a pearl white lincoln mark viii with a carriage top roof as a possible ls1/t56 transplant recipient. I might just pull the trigger on it after seeing this.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1981TA
This is inspiring. I've been eyeballing a pearl white lincoln mark viii with a carriage top roof as a possible ls1/t56 transplant recipient. I might just pull the trigger on it after seeing this.
Do it! Nothing like building hotrods that actually have comfy *** seats!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ordered a **** ton of parts this week...

Microsquirt came in today
Torque converter is here
Siemens Deka 80# high imp injectors
H3 oil pan
flexplate spacer / bolts
Ls1 mls head gaskets
Head studs
New lifter trays
bunch of AN line
Stock LS1 cam
LS6 valve springs

Going to tear down one of my 5.3s and make sure it's all good, toss some studs, head gaskets and swap cams. Ready to rock and roll!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got some small stuff done today.. fixed my steering issue (rag joint was a hair short)
Mounted steering rack..
Temporarily sat a spare 4.8 I had in the engine bay, flipped the manifolds and realize I need to remove the sway bar mounts, oops.
Marked where I need to weld the return bung on the oil pan
I'm going to notch the k member a hair where the frame mounts are to move the motor forward about 1/2 in.. give me a little more firewall clearance..
I will be modifying the crossover pipe, currently its for a low mount turbo, im going to make a merge that puts the turbo in the passenger fenderwell

Old 02-03-2013, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Subscribing to this! i just bought me a 78 fairmont to do the exact same thing. are you going to be using the original fuel tank
Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice project! Gotta love all the space that these cars have
Old 02-03-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by toughy v8
Subscribing to this! i just bought me a 78 fairmont to do the exact same thing. are you going to be using the original fuel tank
I'm going to try to utilize the stock tank as it would be more budget friendly, and I would like to keep all of my trunk space for groceries.. lol

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Very nice project! Gotta love all the space that these cars have
It fits about as good if not better than a 302!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I'm diggin the build, ive been trying to find a clean mont to do a similar swap, but no luck around here lately. Let me know if you get bored with that one when its done and want to sell it:p
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got a little progress done today.. oil pan bung tig welded

Motor tear down.. it was NASTY.. popped a headgasket.. nice and milky.

Put the stock LS1 cam in, new timing chain. Swapped windage tray and pickup tube for the new oil pan (Muscle car/hummer pan)

Here is what I use to to remove/install the Balancer .. OTC puller specific for GM vortec engines.. and 1in longer bolt to start the balancer back on 1/2 way, another old crank bolt to finish tightening it up, then locktite and done.

Cleaned the pistons, valley.

Head studs and MLS gaskets

Cleaned up my heads, stopped for the night.. had to study for class lol. Borrowing a valve spring tool from my friend then i'll be about done!

Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could you actually see where the head gasket was blown? The reason I ask is because some 5.3s had porous heads and would milkshake the motor. I would hate to see you reuse those heads if they would just milkshake your engine again.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pdsq98gt
Could you actually see where the head gasket was blown? The reason I ask is because some 5.3s had porous heads and would milkshake the motor. I would hate to see you reuse those heads if they would just milkshake your engine again.
Thanks for the insight, I'll check these out again. I am not reusing the heads originally off this engine, these are some spare 862s I had laying around from a good running 4.8L motor. They seem fine, no cracks and came from a known good running engine.

Quick Reply: Project Blue Balls // Fairmont