Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Excellent results.
Originally Posted by Leadfoot85
Looks great Deed!!!
Thanks guys.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As always kick *** work man. So trying to make the factory shifter work didn't pan out?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Do Work 93YJ
As always kick *** work man. So trying to make the factory shifter work didn't pan out?
Thanks DW.

The stock shifter did work, I used the cable from the f-body; but it was in a terrible bind and I couldn’t get the cable adjusted correctly for some reason. The trans felt like it was slipping in OD. Now no issues. I could have bought the lime works shifter linkage kit, but I still wouldn’t have had the park lock and reverse lockout. I also wanted to hook up the reverse lights and have the ground signal to the pcm in park and neutral. Plus I had to have the tall lever for the old school look.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

No real update. Just a couple pictures. I finished the firewall and painted the trunk. Mostly just driving. No problem in this Texas 100° weather. Added a few more fuses for the Headlights, horn, etc..

Old 02-12-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you use 3x4 tubing for the lower cross member

Originally Posted by DEEDDUDE
Update: Over the last two weeks I've only had the opportunity to work on the car for two of those days. Here's the progress. Excuse the mess I took these as soon as I finished cycling the bags up and down. Finished the rear air bag install, I still need to install the pan hard bar. I have been thinking about a watts link, still undecided.

I'm making my own lower cross member and upper mounts, I don't like the way kits on the market mount the uppers. Racing slicks make the perfect table, I hate working on the floor.

Mocking up the front I discovered I'll need to cut a wedge for under the cross member. The frame rolls down 6 degrees keeping the lower control arm from being level, simple fix; that's why everything is just tacked up. I'll get to it on my next day off.

Thanks for looking.
did u use 3x4 tubing for the lower cross member
Old 02-14-2017, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Loving this. IMO the best looking car of the era. Great work
Old 02-14-2017, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SQRBODYLSFREEK
Loving this. IMO the best looking car of the era. Great work
Appreciate the kind words. Stay tuned may have some new wheels and tires soon.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Teching In

I have a '54 Chevy 210 I am wanting to do an LS swap in to turn into my daily. Leadfoot85 told me to check out this site when I was ready. I am around Beaumont, TX. Where is a trustworthy place to get a used ls1 and trans for a decent price around here?
Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Was just able to go through the rest of this thread. I am digging your build! It definitely makes me want to pull mine back out and dig in already!

In my case, I just need to read up a bit more on which parts to get to fit for our '54s. I dont have your skills to make my own front setup, so was looking at the bolt in from CE or the one like Ryan(LeadFoot85) used from TCI. Also if the waltons motor mounts will work with the CE or just TCI setup. I plan to shave and smooth my firewall, but dont want to cut it or too much of the trans tunnel if I can help it. The LS style is new to me. I was an import guy turned classic car guy(have 3- '54 chevys lol), now trying to make a nice daily with decent fuel mileage for my commute. I was on the H.A.M.B., but they started deleting my threads when I started asking about MIIs and such. So Ryan mentioned using this site- so I am finally moving over!
Old 02-21-2017, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SpazTaztic
I have a '54 Chevy 210 I am wanting to do an LS swap in to turn into my daily. Leadfoot85 told me to check out this site when I was ready. I am around Beaumont, TX. Where is a trustworthy place to get a used ls1 and trans for a decent price around here?
I really can't help with the location of an LS1. I found mine on the bay and got lucky to find a low mileage engine and transmission. The seller did forget to mention the trans had issues. I rebuilt it last year at this time. There is a place in Houston that sell these engines, specifically LS1's? IDK. This site may have a number of people, check the classifieds. Find an old truck or Tahoe, plenty of those iron block engines around.

Originally Posted by SpazTaztic
Was just able to go through the rest of this thread. I am digging your build! It definitely makes me want to pull mine back out and dig in already!

In my case, I just need to read up a bit more on which parts to get to fit for our '54s. I dont have your skills to make my own front setup, so was looking at the bolt in from CE or the one like Ryan(LeadFoot85) used from TCI. Also if the waltons motor mounts will work with the CE or just TCI setup. I plan to shave and smooth my firewall, but dont want to cut it or too much of the trans tunnel if I can help it. The LS style is new to me. I was an import guy turned classic car guy(have 3- '54 chevys lol), now trying to make a nice daily with decent fuel mileage for my commute. I was on the H.A.M.B., but they started deleting my threads when I started asking about MIIs and such. So Ryan mentioned using this site- so I am finally moving over!
I can't recommend a front end. I did some research back when I did mine, all I can say is that I found helix had bad reviews; I'm sure there are a number of reputable sellers that make these kits. However none had what I needed to be able to get the car so low.

I meet Ryan a couple years ago at a car show, he's a super nice guy and I don't believe he would give you any bad advice. He built a beautiful car and I'm sure he can answer a number of questions about the TCI kit. I cut the trans tunnel quite a bit to install the big trans, it may fit with out much cutting; I just don't remember.

No comment about the HAMB

Start a build thread and include lots of pictures, the guys on this forum will help you with any questions you have about these engines; there's a wealth of knowledge here, With their help pretty soon you'll be

Good Luck
Old 04-08-2017, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Been a while since I posted any changes. Well a lot of things have happen, but not to much on the 54'. I did however finish the 20" rims. The tires are just a little taller than the old ones, which raised the ride height about a 1/2", but much wider. These pics aren't the best, maybe I'll pull it outside for better ones soon. I wanted to go in a different direction with the look, maybe a combination of hot rod, rat rod, derelict and protouring. I call it poor touring. The car handles well with the big swaybar up front, three link in the back and the now fat tires. More to come later.

Sitting at ride height.

Rear Wheel widen to 9", 275/35-20

Almost 11" wide on the rear, thread width is over 9". The skinnies had only 5" of thread.

A better shot from above

Still lays out with the 20" wheels.

Poor picture of the left front.

What do you think? The car surprisingly rides about the same if not a little better, it handles much better now. I'll try to get better pics soon.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Awesome ride. Just read through this old thread and I'm fully digging it!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by badassstepsides
Awesome ride. Just read through this old thread and I'm fully digging it!
Thanks Badasss
Old 04-12-2017, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just read the whole thread!! It's badass! I love those 20's, what wheels are those??? I'd really love to get me a set for my car.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Damn photobucket!

How do the 275's fit on the back with the frame, did you have to modify the frame at all? I have a 54 wagon that I had hopes of 295's on the back, but if I could get 275's without frame mods I could be happy with that.

Are your pics hosted anywhere where they can be accessed? Thanks!
Old 11-20-2017, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlueJeep
Damn photobucket!

How do the 275's fit on the back with the frame, did you have to modify the frame at all? I have a 54 wagon that I had hopes of 295's on the back, but if I could get 275's without frame mods I could be happy with that.

Are your pics hosted anywhere where they can be accessed? Thanks!
No words for the photobucket folks. SMH No pics anywhere. I had 4 build threads on the web at different sites, no time to go back through them. Sometimes you can find them in a google search, "LS1 54 chevy laying rockers frame"

I removed the outer lip of the frame; from what I remember there is about 3/4" of an inch clearance on the out side and maybe close to an inch on the inside. My outer quarter panels are about 3/4" wide. I could have went wider, however I would need to narrow the quarter panel lip. The quarters are aftermarket, can't remember their name. I remember the stockers being much thinner. Good Luck
Old 12-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks DEEDUDE, you've now got me set on a goal of 275's on the back of my wagon! I have it in the garage now, so I'm actively moving forward with it. Couple more questions if you don't mind.

How wide did you end up with on your rear axle? What width did you end up on the rear wheels and what backspacing? The reason I ask these questions is because after putting some 235/75r15's on the back of the wagon....I had to jack up on the frame and let the suspension droop to get them between the quarter panels and the brakes (on the stock rear suspension). So in my planning, I'm wondering how difficult it will be to change a tire alongside the road. Is it a major pain to get your rear tires on, or does the 20" rim give you enough clearance with the brakes to get them on without too much difficulty?

I'm going back and forth between Explorer 8.8 and 9" in the back. Narrowing a 9" is easy for me, but 8.8 is cheap ($175 here) with 3.73, LSD, 31 spline, and disc brakes.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlueJeep
Thanks DEEDUDE, you've now got me set on a goal of 275's on the back of my wagon! I have it in the garage now, so I'm actively moving forward with it. Couple more questions if you don't mind.

How wide did you end up with on your rear axle? What width did you end up on the rear wheels and what backspacing? The reason I ask these questions is because after putting some 235/75r15's on the back of the wagon....I had to jack up on the frame and let the suspension droop to get them between the quarter panels and the brakes (on the stock rear suspension). So in my planning, I'm wondering how difficult it will be to change a tire alongside the road. Is it a major pain to get your rear tires on, or does the 20" rim give you enough clearance with the brakes to get them on without too much difficulty?

I'm going back and forth between Explorer 8.8 and 9" in the back. Narrowing a 9" is easy for me, but 8.8 is cheap ($175 here) with 3.73, LSD, 31 spline, and disc brakes.
Jeep

The rear end is 58" brake hub face to face; I narrowed a rear I had from one of my stock cars and used the axles from another. The rear rims are 20" x 9"; in reality they are 10" wide from outer edge to outer edge. I don't remember the backspacing, I custom built these. I'm thinking they were 5.25" and I can't seem to locate my notes. The rear tires are 11" wide if that helps. 275/35-20 tires. The 275/40's were to tall for what I wanted. The 20" rims seems to mount a little easier than the 15", but I think I still needed to remove the lower shock bolt to mount. Hope this helps. Post a built thread, we all love these new engines in these old cars. Good Luck

Quick Reply: 54 Bel Air w/LS1 and 4L60e