Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SN95, caged, mini tub, 6.0 w/ L92's, 5 speed, megasquirt build, pic heavy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing is CLEAN!

Keep it up man.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Launching!

well today was full of success, failure, and then new happiness.

so i put the quicktime bellhousing on the motor, tossed it in the engine bay and bolted up my tremec trans. everything went great. got the trans in the stock crossmember and was ready to make some motor mounts after i put the headers on. oil pan clearance was great with the cts-v pan.

well the dynatech headers i bought were for a fox and i figured i could make them work since all my mounts are custom and what not. well i was wrong. passenger side dropped right in but no matter where i put the motor, forward, back, up or down the back primary was in the way of the steering shaft. now, i could easily cut the primaries and move them to make clearance. but if i do that, it will block the slot for my clutch cable going to the bellhousing. so in the end, i can't use these headers.

knowing that i wanted to do a turbo setup next winter i figured that running some shorty headers for the summer wouldn't be the end of the world. so i bolted on my 302 hooker headers to see how they would fit. same problem with them blocking the steering shaft from bolting up. even if i moved the knuckle it wouldn't have worked.

so i did the next logical thing and turned them around to face forward. i'll be adding a few months on to the build time, but i'm just going to do the turbo setup now and skip running n/a.

i'm going to finish the motor mounts up tomorrow, order some LS header flanges and start gathering the new parts for the turbo build.

and where i left it for the night

Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Assuming you didn't have the issue with the steering shaft, if you tried the Dynatech headers on the stock k-member, do you think you could make them fit with some mods to the k-member? Where do you think they would interfere with the stock k-member?

I'm curious because I have not been able to find any posts where someone actually tried putting them on a stock k-member. I'm not assuming it will work, I'm curious how much modification a stock k-member needs to work, if it will at all.

Thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Launching!

they should clear a stock k member. the only part you would have a possible problem would be right behind and below the drivers side mount where the primaries bend toward the back of the car. you might have to clearance in that area. that is my best guess. but i haven't even seen a stock k member in a long time.

tubular k members make EVERYTHING so much easier, clearance, weight savings, etc. well worth the money
Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Very cool build
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MIKE93SVT
they should clear a stock k member. the only part you would have a possible problem would be right behind and below the drivers side mount where the primaries bend toward the back of the car. you might have to clearance in that area. that is my best guess. but i haven't even seen a stock k member in a long time.

tubular k members make EVERYTHING so much easier, clearance, weight savings, etc. well worth the money
Thanks!

I understand about the aftermarket k being a better choice, but I'm wanting to just get the car running. I don't want another seemingly never engine long term "project" like when I built an NMRA drag radial car back in 1999/2000. I just want something to drive around and tinker with. Stock suspension gets me back on the road faster and all I'm really going to do with it is drive it to work.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Launching!

well i'm sad, but happy to say the car is FOR SALE. we are extending our family and building this car won't be part of it unfortunately.

so if you're interested in the car or any of the lsx parts, pm me. or even if yo have a nice 02+ silverado or old harley you want to trade on, that's what i'm looking for.

thanks
mike

Quick Reply: SN95, caged, mini tub, 6.0 w/ L92's, 5 speed, megasquirt build, pic heavy!