Sponsored by:

LS1 oil pressure ports

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS1 oil pressure ports

We're back...
We have a 98 LS1 in an 89 S10. The factory LS1 oil pressure sensor is in place and feeds the PCM. Seems to work OK. Now, we need to place an 89 S10 oil pressure sensor on the engine to feed the factory gauge. Are there any other ports on the block, besides the one at the top rear?
Another option may be an adapter that threads into the block (top rear) that will accept BOTH the 98 Vette sensor AND the 89 S10 sensor. Does anyone know of such an adapter? We can build one, but at this point, I'd rather not reinvent something that is already on the market.

Thanks for your input!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

In my 93 Sonoma, I used a swap harness and there was no plug for the sensor. I broke the plastic off of the stock ls1 sensor, got the guts out of it, and then tapped it to 1/8 npt and threaded my Sonoma sensor into it. I plugged the factory plug into it and the gauge works fine. There is a small, 2 bolt flange down by the oil filter that can be tapped and used for an alternate port as well. I used that one to put a regular gauge in it when I started it the first time as a backup reading. After I knew the factory gauge worked correctly, I plugged it off. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. I will look at the 2 bolt flange down by the filter. It MAY be too close to the header to use, but maybe not. (We had to counter bore one of the bolt holes in the flange and go to a flat head machine screw to clear the header.)
As far as the stock LS1 sensor, I think that the PCM needs that signal (or it shuts off the fuel pump??), so we may need to keep it.

Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 98 PCM among other doesn't care about oil pressure & does not need the sending unit wired through the PCM
Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Thanks,
now all I need to do is to compare the threads of the LS1 & 4.3l sensors.
Onward & upward.
Thanks again!

Quick Reply: LS1 oil pressure ports