Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 dakota R/T with LY6/L90 - LSDAK1

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 07:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith564
oh for **** sake even they will tell you there's nothing special about an rt dakota. It's a factory sport truck with a 5.9 and rt decals, that's IT! The 5.9 put out a laughable 250hp. What a joke.

I had a yellow 5.2 5spd reg cab 4x4 sport. Fun truck for it's size but those magnum motors suck the big one. Sucks on gas, sucks on power, aftermarket sucks, just sucks IMHO. I would know, owned several.
Dollar for Dollar, I think the LS is a much better platform.

Last edited by casias; 01-18-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: changed my mind
Old 11-23-2013, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by casias
But I believe the tach output is probably digital on the GM ECU and can't be read by the Dodge. Not sure on that one either.
PCM Red Connector Pin 10, Analog Tach Output Signal.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool project.

I had a 97 Dakota with 318. Nice truck but low power constant trans problems and ran low 16s stock. 14s would have been a welcome change.

I'm about to get started on a projec that will **** of the dodge boys for sure.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Cool project.
I'm about to get started on a projec that will **** of the dodge boys for sure.
Awesome.....
Old 08-07-2014, 03:41 PM

This is an awesome swap, I'm glad i stumbled upon this thread. I was a Dodge guy myself 98 RC 318 5spd and 2001 Durango R/T but i got so tired of the lack of aftermarket support from chrysler. They treated their software like it was a top secret dept of defense project. I watched guys like bigbigird, the crazy Hawaiian dump 20k_ to get their trucks into the 10's. I'm glad i switched to a duramax and soon a notch LSX. I haven't looked back and i could care less about the SRT platforms. Chrysler screwed the pooch years ago and now they are trying to play catch up, F em
Old 08-07-2014, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks. The truck has done very well over 18 months. I like this Dodge platform. That's why I have two RT's, one LS and one built magnum. And a Durango in the garage.

Of all the swaps on this site, this truck has probably stirred the most emotion among the die-hard fans. That's ok.

For someone looking to replace the underwhelming MAGNUM motor, this is a reasonable alternative.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:53 AM
Teching In

Nice build! I was looking at an LS swap with an 85 Corvette, and ended up executing it by selling it, plus my Mustang and a motorcycle and buying an 05 Vette.

That said, I saw a few tired-looking Dakota Quad Cab 4x4s on CL and thought about an LS in one of those. This brings me to a question that someone here might be able to answer for me:

Some light duty GM applications use an NV3500 mated to a Gen 3 V8 (4.8s and 5.3s mostly). Given that Dakota V8s also used NV3500s (albeit with a different bellhousing and spline count), how much simplicity could be gained by placing the whole GM V8/NV3500/NP T-Case combo into the manual shift Dakota? My assumptions are that the Dodge trans mount would bolt on to the Chevy NV3500, that, relative to the mount, the shifter and engine mounting surface distances are close if not identical and that the drive shafts would end up being about the same lengths.

If you're not looking for max power this makes sense to me; am I oversimplifying it?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08-31-2014, 08:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by quimbysr
Nice build! I was looking at an LS swap with an 85 Corvette, and ended up executing it by selling it, plus my Mustang and a motorcycle and buying an 05 Vette.

That said, I saw a few tired-looking Dakota Quad Cab 4x4s on CL and thought about an LS in one of those. This brings me to a question that someone here might be able to answer for me:

Some light duty GM applications use an NV3500 mated to a Gen 3 V8 (4.8s and 5.3s mostly). Given that Dakota V8s also used NV3500s (albeit with a different bellhousing and spline count), how much simplicity could be gained by placing the whole GM V8/NV3500/NP T-Case combo into the manual shift Dakota? My assumptions are that the Dodge trans mount would bolt on to the Chevy NV3500, that, relative to the mount, the shifter and engine mounting surface distances are close if not identical and that the drive shafts would end up being about the same lengths.

If you're not looking for max power this makes sense to me; am I oversimplifying it?

Thanks,
Bill
I have had a few people ask me about the 4x4 swap. I have a 2000 4x4 Durango that is stock. From a fitment standpoint, I think it will go right in. As for the swap, I would go with the whole GM assembly including the transfer case. You would probably buy the whole assembly anyway.

The assembly would fit under the dakota without a problem. It would probably require a new crossmember, and driveshafts. The adapter plates may make the motor too wide, though. Even 1/2 inch may be too much, because the motor mounts are completely different.

I would love to see pictures of the engine bay of a 4x4. I just don't have one to take apart. My wife won't let me touch the Durango.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by casias
I have had a few people ask me about the 4x4 swap. I have a 2000 4x4 Durango that is stock. From a fitment standpoint, I think it will go right in. As for the swap, I would go with the whole GM assembly including the transfer case. You would probably buy the whole assembly anyway.

The assembly would fit under the dakota without a problem. It would probably require a new crossmember, and driveshafts. The adapter plates may make the motor too wide, though. Even 1/2 inch may be too much, because the motor mounts are completely different.

I would love to see pictures of the engine bay of a 4x4. I just don't have one to take apart. My wife won't let me touch the Durango.
With my looking for something a bit different as my next project (in addition to the Lincoln MK8 I'm pondering converting to an LS in the future), do you have some sort of 'guide' or something similar to what you did exactly do swap the LS into a Dakota? I'm pondering doing a similar swap with either a Magnum-powered Grand Cherokee or Durango, and haven't seen much of any info out there, short of...a finished product.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Moose_of_Death
With my looking for something a bit different as my next project (in addition to the Lincoln MK8 I'm pondering converting to an LS in the future), do you have some sort of 'guide' or something similar to what you did exactly do swap the LS into a Dakota? I'm pondering doing a similar swap with either a Magnum-powered Grand Cherokee or Durango, and haven't seen much of any info out there, short of...a finished product.
There's not many of them done, Casis' and the older Ram are some of the more popular ones.

Casias does have a website you can check out. I'll pm it to you in a second.

Last edited by samuel642000; 09-08-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Grand Cherokee requires cutting and modifying the front subframe. I would not bother. If you want a Cherokee, get an XJ. There is a kit for an LS into the XJ (non Grand) Cherokee.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
Grand Cherokee requires cutting and modifying the front subframe. I would not bother. If you want a Cherokee, get an XJ. There is a kit for an LS into the XJ (non Grand) Cherokee.
Someday I would like to do an XJ. I had a 1993 sport that I miss. Even with the inline 6 it was a good truck. With an LS, it would be better.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

I'm interested in the 4x4 myself. I just picked one up for 1500 bucks. Quad cab. Problem is it has 200k miles on it and eats oil. Transmission is on its way out. It's just a work truck. Not looking to race it lol. Thinking 5.3 or 6.0, tranny, and tc is in order. They are widely available, I'm familiar with the ls platform, and it would cost about the same as a replacement 4.7 magnum.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drago1217
I'm interested in the 4x4 myself. I just picked one up for 1500 bucks. Quad cab. Problem is it has 200k miles on it and eats oil. Transmission is on its way out. It's just a work truck. Not looking to race it lol. Thinking 5.3 or 6.0, tranny, and tc is in order. They are widely available, I'm familiar with the ls platform, and it would cost about the same as a replacement 4.7 magnum.
I would like to try one as well,either 2WD or 4WD,its easy to find them with a lunched 4.7 cheap.As for the LS in the Grand Cherokee,I seriously looked at doing a 99,but decided it was too much grief physically getting it in and the foolish Jeep/mercedes/renault/abortion electronics are just silly,its hard enough getting another year 4.7 or 5.7 Hemi to work wth them,nevermind a LS PCM.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by drago1217
This swap will be perfect for a work truck. We still haven't modified our motor, and left the VVT intact. As a potent pickup goes, this is a huge leap from the Magnum, and probably an ever larger leap from the underwhelming 4.7.

I just had Chris Henry tune this truck, after two years, and he found noticeable gains in both drivability and responsiveness.

Good luck on your project.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Was a Dodge tech for 10yrs and got out just when the Hemi was released, did my share of swinging Magnum motors and upgrades, its a great engine for its time but way too expensive to tune man. There is simply no other pushrod motor on the planet that compares to the LS end of story. The Dakota is a great platform much better than the S10 or Ranger IMO so to me an LS swap is a no brainer. Much repsect to you and the wife for doing this. Good luck with it!
Old 02-20-2015, 02:29 AM
TECH Regular

The truck just passed 30k miles without any trouble at all.

The original ly6/6l90 drivetrain has 160k miles now, and hasn't been down for one day.

I did take it to the track and ran 13.4 at 103 on 30 psi street tires, full street trim with the AC on. This was with a canned diablosport tune.

Chris Henry Motorsports tuned it after that, and it now runs neck-and-neck with our 2005 GTO on the street. So maybe its a little faster now. Certainly pulls and drives better since tuning. He did wonders with the 6-speed automatic. And we were able to keep it on 87 octane.

Last edited by casias; 02-20-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:19 PM
Teching In

I just wanted to resurrect this thread to add my .02

I took a Saturday and drove up to see the blasphemous LSDAK in person, which is a 120 mile drive for me, round trip.

The install looks very close to stock. If you spend some time on the LSDAK YT channel you can see he's done quite a few more mods to this ride than just the LY5 and transmission. A lot of them fix weak links in the Dakota infrastructure that people often overlook, like the fuel system, or the brakes.

Speaking of the brakes: Since these trucks came out in 1997, everyone in the Dakota world was trying to figure out which of the big brake manufacturers could be talked into gracing them with a big brake kit. Solutions have been offered from Wilwood and Aerospace. I think just a couple sets of the Wilwoods were ever sold, and those two sets get sold and resold amongst all the people in the community year after year. I installed one of those kits myself, on a friend's truck. They're beautiful, they work, and they cost a fortune. No one wants to spend the $3-4k on brakes when they could just go buy another R/T with that money.

Casias did a junkyard-and-brackets solution that replaces the rear drums with off the shelf parts for a couple of hundred bucks. The front discs are pretty good to begin with, and along with the Hydraboost in there, this setup will drag the truck down from 80 in a hurry. The pedal feel was perfect, not overly sensitive. The pedal started braking a little closer to the top than I'd like, but that can be fixed.

I had a chance to drive the truck. It really feels like a factory build. The power came on so smoothly and quietly, it was almost a letdown. No peaks or valleys, just loads of power all the way past where a stock 5.9 gives up. Iron manifolds and a very conservative muffler made it seem quiet, perhaps more so than the typical stock Tahoe or Trailblazer. It left me with one word in my mind: longtubes.

Since I made the trip, he's done a lot to that ride. New intake, new cam, and its been retuned to take advantage of it all. I haven't gotten behind the wheel yet but I'm looking forward to the next trip.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Great build, nice clean install.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Copperhead.

It is hard to believe that it was almost 2 years ago that I did this swap. Since that time, the truck has been modified with a few more goodies. Each of these are highlighted in write-ups, but I will post a few pics here to update this thread.

Starting with the most recent. LS9 cam, 918 springs, LS3 inake and fuel rails.

Name:  IMG_0273_zpsvizjzogx.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  2.16 MB

Mock up for twin turbos based on LS7 exhaust manifolds flipped over. This is the reason for the shorter LS3 intake.

Name:  IMG_0191_zpsdat9jipe.jpg
Views: 1990
Size:  1.15 MB

Idler relocation for car intake on truck accessories.

Name:  IMG_0315_zps540d5cf8.jpg
Views: 1697
Size:  1.37 MB

Battery reloactred under right rear wheel.

Name:  IMG_0062_zps37ae1456.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  675.4 KB

New autometer gauges

Name:  Steeringrackcentersteeringwheel_zps6593c726.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  3.30 MB

Rear disc conversion using GM metric calipers

Name:  P1040797_zpsb97818c2.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  3.74 MB

Name:  P1040794_zps19656bc8.jpg