Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS swapped into a Porsche 964 (question)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS swapped into a Porsche 964 (question)

I found LS1tech during the Bigg Gunz saga, as I've a lover of Corvettes and that discussion of the new LT1 was all over the Corvette forums. I am amazed that a forum such as this exists, its cool.

While surfing LS1tech I found a thread or 3 on LS motors being swapped into Porsches of various kinds. I have a question related to that.

The background to my question is that I live in Minnesota, and a sports car like a Corvette spends 4-5 months of the year politely parked in a garage. A car like an Evo or STi can be driven year round, but aren't all that much fun in the summer months. It would be awesome to have a 12 month sports car that was fun in every one of those months. I don't know if many of you have ever taken a sports car like an STi out during or after a blizzard, but bucking snow drifts and sliding sideways for half a block in deep snow has to be one of the very funnest things its possible to do in a car. Its awesome!

A Porsche 911 Turbo or Carerra 4 would be a good choice, but from the release of the 993 model in the mid 90s until 2007 (Turbo) or 2009 (Carerra 4) the 911's had an extremely simple all wheel drive system consisting of a simple viscous coupling between the front and rear wheels. This works by having two plates seperated by a fluid that thickens as its heated. The system is nearly useless in cold/snow. A Nissan GT-R would be another possibility, but to move a vehicle through snow you have to spin the tires like crazy, which means shutting all traction control systems off. Nissan voids your warranty if you shut the traction control of a GT-R off. And its about $20k for a new transmission of it goes boom, which tends to happen from what I read. Also, a new GT-R and nearly new 911 are pretty expensive cars to go beating around in snow banks.

But the 964 911 C4 has a clutch based AWD system that should be effective at sending power forward when needed. But it has no power and I have no desire to pay for maintenance on a 25 year old Porsche motor.

But... if I swapped in an LS3, 6 or 7... I wouldn't have that problem. Renegade Hybrids (www.renegadehybrids.com) makes a kit for the swap, so its possible to do, which leads to my question.

Would a 20-25 year old Porsche drivetrain be able to stand up to the power of an LS motor or would I be asking for trouble? Its a long shot, but if anybody has an educated opinion I'd love to hear it.

I think such a car would be sooooo much fun!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:45 PM

One quick side note about that Bigg Gunz saga. I believe that in that thread he called the existence of a dark rich tan colored two tone interior before the official release of the C7. Such an interior option does indeed exist. FWIW
Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

the Porsche 964 platform is perfect for a lsx motor.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:18 PM
J38

Originally Posted by smallblocks are cool
... A car like an Evo or STi can be driven year round, but aren't all that much fun in the summer months. It would be awesome to have a 12 month sports car that was fun in every one of those months. ...
What's that? As a guy who owned two Evo's i can say with absolute confidence that you have never driven one. They easily had the highest capability of any car I have ever driven in regards to handling. The Subaru, maybe only fun in the snow. The Evo? Fun all year round, guaranteed.

If you are considering swapping an LSx into a 964 C4, what are you worried about, exactly? Repair costs if something goes bad? Because a C4 could eat you up on everything except engine anyway. What's the overall goal?

Quick Reply: LS swapped into a Porsche 964 (question)