Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not familiar with the 4l80e but I do know that most A body cross members are not the same as yours, so the traditional cut the mount flip it and reweld it will not work. For my T56 I was able to keep my cross member(it is the same as yours) completely intact but I slightly bent it so that the trans mount tray sat about 3/4 of an inch lower than it did originally in the chassis. I sat the crossmember on two wood 4x4s blocks placed in the exhaust humps, then put a block in the center and hit it with an 8lb sledge.( you have to make sure you measure the distance from the ground to the mount before and between each hit!). The energy suspension technologies poly trans mount is still too tall to use so I fabeb up a mount that was about half as thick (sorry I currently do not have a pic of it, I will try to get one though) but you may be able to shave it down and still use it if that is what you would prefer. Hope this makes sense or you can follow what I am trying to describe! Your measurements may differ from mine do to different engine mounts, tranny, etc., so make sure you have the right tail shaft angle.
The dougs headers are a perfect fit, plenty of room no matter where you position your engine. The headers will definitely not drag on the ground, in fact they are almost too close to the floor boards! The only challenge that I found was getting the exhuast around the crossmember.
As far as using an intake that will accommodate your factory ram air cleaner, go with it! Chances are you are going to ditch the truck intake anyways. You will save money in the long run on tunes as well, the Holley efi or fast efi have self learn programs that will put you to a darn near perfect tune. Overall you are only spending probably $500 more than you would running a ls6 intake with a modified harness and you will have what you want.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Default transmission crossover

It seems that the 4l80e is about the same size as the turbo 400 in dia. so I will try to fit it ( since I already have it) I knew the cross member had to have the mounting point lowered so I cut out the mount on the cross over brace and flipped it over. Tacked it into place and then trimmed some of the area around it to give me a little more clearance if I need it. The “grease Trap” ears were trimmed off and I boxed it for strenth. I think it will look good when powder coated.
Attached Thumbnails 6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-crossmember-001.jpg   6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-crossmember-002.jpg  
Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

It looks like you have a nice build going. I avoided the 4L80 because of seeing other guys cutting the floor to make it fit, but hopefully you can manage with just a BFH and some massaging. I modified my cross member similar to how you did, but I wish I would've gone wider like yours. Keep posting pics and updates. Here's my modified stock cross member that will work until I build a tubular piece:

Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard the 4l80E fits in the A bodies with no modification to tunnel, with some "slight" modification to tunnel and with haveing to really cut the tunnel up to get it to fit...I think it also depends on motor mount set up/placement of engine. I'm useing the BRP mounts and tranny crossmember. I have my LQ4 and 4L80E mounted on the frame now, a little more welding and I'll be able to set the body of my 69 Buick Skylark 'vert back on the frame. I have no idea what to expect, hoping it wont hit the tranny anywhere, but wont be surprised if it does...
Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Default engine iDentification question

The book I have been reading states the 2007 Silverado has a GenIV engine. It also states that the gen IV has a Knock sensor on the side of the block and a 58x crankshaft sensor wich is gray in color. the engine I have has 2 sensors in the lifter valley and a black sensor behind the starter that I believe is the crankshaft sensor, Is the book wrong? also I have a sensor in the stock oil pan that is not installable in my Holley pan
Attached Thumbnails 6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-engine-001.jpg   6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-engine-004.jpg  

Last edited by pwirth; 02-23-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pwirth
The book I have been reading states the 2007 Silverado has a GenIV engine. It also states that the gen IV has a Knock sensor on the side of the block and a 58x crankshaft sensor wich is gray in color. the engine I have has 2 sensors in the lifter valley and a black sensor behind the starter that I believe is the crankshaft sensor, Is the book wrong? also I have a sensor in the stock oil pan that is not installable in my Holley pan
The one in the pan is just an oil level sensor, not required. that position is for the crank sensor. the knock sensor is in the same spot on but sides just foward of starter/dipstick
Old 02-25-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put a lq4/4l80e in my 71 chevelle w/ brp mounts. I did have to cut and raise my tunnel.. But my Ac comp (trk) fit and so did the PS pump....I used the LH8 pan,( which i wished I hadn't)...I still have the trk intake on it and it just slightly rubs the under side of my cowl domed hood..
rick
Attached Thumbnails 6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-p8070231.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Default First test fit

Test fitted the engine and transmission combo last weekend. Bought a set of motor mount adapter plates from Swaptech manufacturing. I went with them because they were steel and had 3 positions for engine location. I installed the Holley oil pan and chose the standard position on the plates. The saddles that are on my Buick were 2-5/8 inches so I got a set of wide and low mounts from Napa and had to modify them by grinding on the bump on the backside of the mount so it would fit flush on the adapter plate. The 4l80e fits with no problem yet but I do not have the lines hooked up to the transmission yet. The transmission mount is slid back to the last stock holes in the frame. I had a problem with the steering linkage hitting the pan and I will have to space the saddle 1/2 in higher and drill new holes on the engine cross over. Making spacer plates now!
Attached Thumbnails 6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-crossover-001.jpg   6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-mounts-002.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tranny fittings: Search ebay for 4L80E fittings, $20 for the pair. Still very tight even after some tuff love. Dipstick and wire harness are also tight and should have had some loving as well.
Attached Thumbnails 6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-tranny-fittings.jpg   6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-dscf2102.jpg   6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-dscf2101.jpg  
Old 03-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Default engine is in

well the engine is in, I am a little disapointed in the Holley oil pan, I had clearance problems with the Drag link for the steering. I had to space the engine up 1/2 inch. I have been looking at other posts and it looks as though some guuys are putting their adapter plates in so that it moves the moter mount forward on the cross member. Maybe for header clearance? the stock lq4 alternator location is not going to work with the plans that I have. It is the only serpentine belt system that turns the water pump clockwise" looking at the Motor". I need to be creative here since i do not have the budget for a new serpent assembly.
Attached Thumbnails 6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-143.jpg   6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-144.jpg   6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-147.jpg  
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much clearance is there between the power steering pulley and the steering box? Also did you use the factory motor mount location for the mount risers?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Teching In

The pulley clears although the seam where the reservoir can attachés the two sheet metal pieces together is ¼ inch from the right rear bolt on top of the steering box. I had to drill new holes in the frame for where the saddles sit on the frame, they were about 2” higher than the original mount location holes. I checked into alternator and power steering relocation brackets, but it turns out that the truck water pump in unique to only trucks so I will have to build my own system or replace the hole serpentine belt system
Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1/4" should be enough room. I will probably have to drill new holes also for the mounts but I was just wondering. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Have not seen to many “bolt in” conversions, most everyone has to be creative! I do have quite a rake to the engine, but to fix it I need to go with a smaller transmission than the 4l80e or cut up my transmission tunnel. I like the 4l80e because it has a removable flyweel inspection plate. if it was not there I would not be able to get my starter in and out with the engine in place.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

LQ4 in my 69 Skylark...the power steering pulley clears the steering box by less than 1/4"...I'm going to buy the slightly smaller pulley from Dirty Dingo. Thats just to close for my liking. I also just set the body back on the frame with my LQ4 and 4L80 in it, sure enough the tranny tunnel hits the tranny. I'm running the BRP engine mounts and tranny x member, the x member comes with some 1/4" aluminum shims to mount between the tranny and the x member. I currently have 3 of them installed, so I am going to remove them and see what that 3/4" gets me...should be just enough. Nice to see your progress...keep it and the pics coming!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet build.I got a 71 Skylark.It's been in my family since it was ordered new.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

That modified stock piece looks good... Its time for me to learn how to weld
Old 03-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Teching In

WELL THE ENGINE IS BACK OUT! the transmission is hitting the tunnel. I think I made a mistake buying the Holley oil pan. I had to space up my engine 1/2 inch to clear the pan on the steering and crossmember. that makes my engine at a 5 degree angle at best. If I could lower it I could maybee get 3 degrees. has enyone actually but an ls engine in using the stock engine holes in the crossmember? my transmission guy gave me a mock up case for a 4l60e and it hits also.
Attached Thumbnails 6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-144.jpg   6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-img_3144.jpg   6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible-146.jpg  

Last edited by pwirth; 03-22-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Something doesn't look right in that pic, they look too far back.

What frame mounts are those?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pwirth
WELL THE ENGINE IS BACK OUT! the transmission is hitting the tunnel. I think I made a mistake buying the Holley oil pan. I had to space up my engine 1/2 inch to clear the pan on the steering and crossmember. that makes my engine at a 5 degree angle at best. If I could lower it I could maybee get 3 degrees. has enyone actually but an ls engine in using the stock engine holes in the crossmember? my transmission guy gave me a mock up case for a 4l60e and it hits also.
How can you blame the Holley oil pan? Countless of others have nothing but good things to say about it, including me. Did you use their swap mounts? How can you expect Holley to make a oil pan that will fit every car and motor transmission configuration there is?
You might have looked into using their swap mounts versus the swapcrap brand mount you bought. Just my worthless 2 cents.

Quick Reply: 6.0 LQ4 into a 72 Buick skylark convertible