Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any cons to using a LS2 intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any cons to using a LS2 intake?

I am not going to run the truck manifold on my LQ4 or DBW. The prices people are asking for LS1 intakes with rails and tbodys was more than i expected ($300-400).

You can buy a new/takeoff LS2 manifold with 36lb injectors and fuel rails for $225 plus shipping.

Ebay sells aftermarket 4 bolt cable operated tbodys for $165ish.

Since i am going to be buying or building a new harness what is the drawback?

I read the injectors are shorter with a different connector but since it will be a new harness i don't see a problem.

Am i missing something or is this a good route?

Thanks, Rich.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nuckifuts
I am not going to run the truck manifold on my LQ4 or DBW. The prices people are asking for LS1 intakes with rails and tbodys was more than i expected ($300-400).

You can buy a new/takeoff LS2 manifold with 36lb injectors and fuel rails for $225 plus shipping.

Ebay sells aftermarket 4 bolt cable operated tbodys for $165ish.

Since i am going to be buying or building a new harness what is the drawback?

I read the injectors are shorter with a different connector but since it will be a new harness i don't see a problem.

Am i missing something or is this a good route?

Thanks, Rich.
Iis fine from your perspective, and if you want to run a LS1 cable throttle on it, I have an adapter I'd sell cheap.. new in package with fasteners.. came with my tvs kit..
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

other thing to mention, an ls6 will make a bit more power and work with a stock cable TB, the money you save on the TB will be spent on the ls6 intakes increased cost..
Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LS2 intake make very similiar power with the LS6 intakes. A little porting and they start to shine.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by c6matt
other thing to mention, an ls6 will make a bit more power and work with a stock cable TB, the money you save on the TB will be spent on the ls6 intakes increased cost..
I do not have a TB that i can use, or fuel rails. My LQ4 is DBW, i will be using a cable.

A bare LS6 usually sells for at least $300. Add fuel rail ($20-50), used stock tbody ($50-100) and i am at $370-450 and i still need injectors.

New/takeoff LS2 with rails and injectors $225, new aftermarket 92MM cable driven - 4bolt tbody is $152. $375 + intake shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92mm-GM-Gen-...edcfd9&vxp=mtr
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry for the stupid question and slight thread hijack but I thought that LS6 and LS2 intakes were different port designs (cathedral:LS6 and square:LS2) and thus not compatible? Can a LS2 intake be run on a cathedral port head that originally came on a LS1/6 and early truck?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
I'm sorry for the stupid question and slight thread hijack but I thought that LS6 and LS2 intakes were different port designs (cathedral:LS6 and square:LS2) and thus not compatible? Can a LS2 intake be run on a cathedral port head that originally came on a LS1/6 and early truck?
The LS2 was a short lived cathedral port engine. They came with the 243 casting heads.

The LS3/LY6 and L99? had the square port heads.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sho-me speed
LS2 intake make very similiar power with the LS6 intakes. A little porting and they start to shine.
Sho-Me,

What kinds of numbers have you seen from porting the LS2? Also, are you just cleaning up the runners?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I've bought a couple LS1 intakes for $35-40 with a rail, one even came with bolts. Check craigslist.
You can use your truck injectors with aftermarket rails, or with LS1 rail andf spacers.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by garys 68
I've bought a couple LS1 intakes for $35-40 with a rail, one even came with bolts. Check craigslist.
You can use your truck injectors with aftermarket rails, or with LS1 rail andf spacers.
I would buy the LS2 intake before I bought an LS1...LS6 is the intake that cost $300.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

the ls2 will work if your looking to not spend a lot of money. The ls2 is said to be a little better than the ls1. then the ls6 is superior to both. you can buy an adaptor plate to use your stock tb I believe.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

How do you run the truck injectors on ls1 manifold when i did mine couldn't find anyway to do this as the truck injectors are shorter and once the rail is bolted down they dont seat in manifold?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Aftermarket rails, or they make spacers, but I've never used them.
Pic of truck 5.3 flex fuel injectors on LS1 intake.

Originally Posted by Ls1.63cad
How do you run the truck injectors on ls1 manifold when i did mine couldn't find anyway to do this as the truck injectors are shorter and once the rail is bolted down they dont seat in manifold?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

i have seen some back to back dyno session from that intake to a FAST and I can only come to the conclusion that its probably better than the ls1 which does not say too much, but is still kinda shitty. ls6/fast is about the best bet IMO. the dyno reference I am reffering to is around a 50-60whp gain with an intake swap on a ls2 cts-v. I should also mention that was on a boosted car making over 800
Old 03-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Sho-Me,

What kinds of numbers have you seen from porting the LS2? Also, are you just cleaning up the runners?

Jon
PSI
A number I could advertise would be 8-12hp from porting. Cleaning it up seems to be the most bang for the buck. Everything after that was marginal.

I would take one after porting over an LS6 intake on a motor that has any decent kind of h/c set-up.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

I getta kick out of how many answers you have got but not one person has asked what are your power goals on this build? is it going to be forced induction? what else are you doing to the motor? cam? porting of the heads?
if you are just looking to replace the truck intake? a ls1 intake is super cheap you can buy one with the injectors and fuel rails for about 150$ I have one on my twin turbo belair pushing 700rwhp. yep I know there is a bit more power in a ls6 intake however I had one laying on the shelf and used it . are you running the truck drive accessories? if so you will have to change up the tensioner there are relocation kits to clear the throttle body.ls2 intakes can be had for about 250$ complete it is better than a ls1 but it all depends on what your intentions are are you going to feel 12 hp? I seriously doubt it. if you are going to race it and need every last hp out of it then go with a fast or a ls6. but just because people say this is the only way to go is bs. always options to match your needs and budget.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by E.rodz
I getta kick out of how many answers you have got but not one person has asked what are your power goals on this build? is it going to be forced induction? what else are you doing to the motor? cam? porting of the heads?
if you are just looking to replace the truck intake? a ls1 intake is super cheap you can buy one with the injectors and fuel rails for about 150$ I have one on my twin turbo belair pushing 700rwhp. yep I know there is a bit more power in a ls6 intake however I had one laying on the shelf and used it . are you running the truck drive accessories? if so you will have to change up the tensioner there are relocation kits to clear the throttle body.ls2 intakes can be had for about 250$ complete it is better than a ls1 but it all depends on what your intentions are are you going to feel 12 hp? I seriously doubt it. if you are going to race it and need every last hp out of it then go with a fast or a ls6. but just because people say this is the only way to go is bs. always options to match your needs and budget.
For now it is a LQ4 with a cam/exhaust/gear.

I originally asked because Scoggin-Dickey had takeoff LS2 intake with injectors and rail for $225. My in-decision caused me to miss that sale.

It was more of a 'will it work without major headaches' than power potential.
Seemed like a too good to be true deal.

I am now looking for a stock Fbody intake/tbody/rail setup.

I am going to switch from the truck accessories to vette so i can go with A&A YSI brackets in the future.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

Go with a ls2 or a ls 1 both are cheap keep in mind they both have different plugs for the injectors.both have different throttle bodys as well so keep that in mind.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

If you are still looking for an ls1 intake manifold, Tb, and fuel rail I have one for $125 plus shipping.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Tb is bare though, no iac or tps. Have injectors also for another $30 if you need them

Quick Reply: Any cons to using a LS2 intake?