Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with 5.3l conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with 5.3l conversion

I have sourced a 01 5.3L vortec for my Jeep but I need a wiring harness an ECU and 2 coils. I would like for this to be a stand alone engine since I am using a NV4500 5 speed.

Will an 01 6.0l harness work? I have access to one of them and the ECU?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Your truck 5.3L engine will also operate with an LS1 engine harness. I would opt for a car PCM, as there are far more shops out there that can perform custom tuning on the car PCMs, but only a few that handle truck PCM tuning.

Since you are doing an engine swap, that 6.0L harness will have a ton of wires that aren't really necessary for your Jeep. It will work however, but you might consider sending it off to someone like Speartech ( www.SpearTech.com ) to have them clean it up a bit and modify it for an easier conversion.

You could also purchase a Painless LS1 harness, and source a 1998 f-body PCM to operate that engine. That is the setup I'm using on my '69
Old 04-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Your truck 5.3L engine will also operate with an LS1 engine harness. I would opt for a car PCM, as there are far more shops out there that can perform custom tuning on the car PCMs, but only a few that handle truck PCM tuning.

Since you are doing an engine swap, that 6.0L harness will have a ton of wires that aren't really necessary for your Jeep. It will work however, but you might consider sending it off to someone like Speartech ( www.SpearTech.com ) to have them clean it up a bit and modify it for an easier conversion.

You could also purchase a Painless LS1 harness, and source a 1998 f-body PCM to operate that engine. That is the setup I'm using on my '69

Thanks for the info. I will definately look at this option. So far, the best deal I have found is the Howell harness for $500 and their re programmed 98 PCM for $200. That ends up being less than it would cost me to have the stock units re-done.

I am also in Houston and would like to take a look at your setup.

Shawn
Old 04-19-2004, 01:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Haven't gotten to the engine wiring phase on my Camaro, might be attempting it this week. I do have the harness (new in box still) and the PCM out for custom programming at MTI. I've got some sheetmetal work to finish on the tranny tunnel before I get into wiring (welding involved).

Tony
Old 04-21-2004, 01:50 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

Not without modification. The truck engines use a completely different design of injector. An LS1 harness would need the injector connectors cut off and new terminals and connectors installed.

The MAF sensor on a truck engine is also different from an F-body harness (5 pin vs. 3 pin). You would need to change that also.

The truck engine will also run a little better with the correct PCM and calibration as opposed to going back to the obscure 98 PCM with a 5.7 car calibration. With the correct programming, the 98 PCM can be set up to run the 5.3 nicely, IF the programmer takes the the time to change the proper parameters.

We are one of the few that have the full unlimited LS1 Edit license, so we can handle ALL LS1 applications, which includes 97-04 all car AND truck applications.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 04-21-2004, 01:55 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJHeap
Thanks for the info. I will definately look at this option. So far, the best deal I have found is the Howell harness for $500 and their re programmed 98 PCM for $200. That ends up being less than it would cost me to have the stock units re-done.

I am also in Houston and would like to take a look at your setup.

Shawn

Just make sure you're getting everything you think you are getting for that price!

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com

Quick Reply: Need help with 5.3l conversion