Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Skylark Lq4/4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driveshaft is shortened original. I guess another thing our set ups differ probably is I moved motor far forward and still have pan to crossmember clearance. I didn't cut tranny tunnel at all. Where tail cone on tranny bolts on I can just get my fingers in between floorboard. I **** canned the ac box and put regular heater box in its place. Steering pump pulley on truck set up needs changed for smaller one you probably find out. Mine hit steering box. I used truck harness and moved pcm behind dash passenger side. I also used the hei power wire for my key on crank run circuits. Put aftermarket gauges in place of original cluster. Ask away if need help.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for refreshing my memory that a '78 Buick Skylark and a '78 Buick Regal are on two different platforms. The Regal eventually became a G-body while A-body Skylark was reaching the end of the line.
Nice car and build, sure wish I had that lift.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:29 PM
Teching In

76larkman, where did you get the regular heater box? I planned to do the same thing as I'm not running a.c.

As far as the driveshaft I'll Prolly have one made I plan on racing this car quite a bit making well over 600hp.

Finally sitting on all 4 wheels after a 3 year hiatus. Next up will be fitting the motor/trans again. Need to make a crossmember and measure for a driveshaft. I'm also dropping off my heads to have some work done, I FINALLY finished porting them tonight. Hopefully the time and effort will pay off

Also taking suggestions on fuel system. As of now I'm going to run a sumped stock tank with an external 320lph walbro pump or possibly an A1000 as they are pretty cheap on the used market.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I parted a nova with no air for different stuff. You will need to do some firewall heater hole repair as different. Not a big deal tho. I bought a new gas tank and cut it for taking the whole Silverado pump assembly. Some pics in my profile.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Got some work done this week, motor and trans are now where I want it and seems great. Stock hood fits over everything nicely. Had to "clearance" the pass side header a bit. I used the stock crossmember that I modified for the longer 4l80.

Now that everything fits how I like it it's time to pull it all back apart and clean, paint, powdercoat everything and hopefully start final assembly in a few weeks.

Things I've ordered or decided on
-Aeromotive phantom 340 in tank fuel assembly.
-custom comp cam
-2.05/1.60 valves for the heads.
-PAC springs that work with stock retainers (bad *** springs.)
-billet timing gear set
-LS7 lifters
-31 spline summit axles and cobra diff.
-TBSS intake and eBay 90mm TB

I also had a chance to flow one of my heads (intake only so far) with stock valve and seat and got 276 CFM @.550 lift. For some reason the air stalled pretty good @.600 so hopefully the valve job and valves help. My head guy says they should be close to 300 cfm when we are done so I'm pretty happy with that.

Still soooo much to do but its good to see progress

Old 03-14-2016, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Default Headers

What headers did you use. Thanks
Old 03-22-2016, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00silverzzzz
What headers did you use. Thanks
I used ebay 98 fbody headers for now. I've had them a couple years and didn't wanna spend the extra money right now on a nicer set.

Got the rear end done and ended up installing new ford 4.10 gears. With the triple disc converter should work well. Also got the aeromotive phantom setup in the tank and mounted. Its a very nice piece and extremely easy to install, well worth the price of admission. Harness is rewired with additional outputs for fuel pump and electric fans.

Finally got er sitting on all 4 wheels that actually match. The front still needs to sit down a little and will once it's at full weight.

Still waiting on heads from machine shop. But I got the cam and rocker trunions. Went a little conservative on the cam so it's tuning friendly and drives nice on the street. Let me know what you guys think of the specs.

Quick Reply: 78 Skylark Lq4/4l80e