Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck waterpump converted to F-body.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Neither of the f body pumps I bought had the groove to use a power steering pump puller. Otherwise I would have tried that rather than cutting the pulley simply to get a 3 jaw puller on it. Just looking at ebay, looks like both styles are offered, smooth and with the groove.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garys 68
Neither of the f body pumps I bought had the groove to use a power steering pump puller. Otherwise I would have tried that rather than cutting the pulley simply to get a 3 jaw puller on it. Just looking at ebay, looks like both styles are offered, smooth and with the groove.
I have only bought 1 pump, I guess I got lucky!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotta ask- why go through all this effort rather than just buying an F-body pump and a pair of spacers to bring it out to the truck accessory distance? Seems to me that if you've got more than about 2 hours into screwing around with tapping, drilling, etc., you'd be ahead of the game just buying the right parts.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm using the Kwik AC bracket. Using spacers would require more mods to bracket than the water pump pulley swap.
I wanted a mechanical fan. There was no truck pump (the only with a threaded snout for a fan) that would fit.
The rest of my mods, threaded heater fittings, were required because of A arm interference.

Originally Posted by BobKovacs
I've gotta ask- why go through all this effort rather than just buying an F-body pump and a pair of spacers to bring it out to the truck accessory distance? Seems to me that if you've got more than about 2 hours into screwing around with tapping, drilling, etc., you'd be ahead of the game just buying the right parts.

Last edited by garys 68; 03-18-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

The spacers cost almost as much as the pump, then factor in the price of a second set of gaskets and loger bolts (the spacers may come with longer bolts, not sure) it was cheaper and easier to just buy a water pump and swap the pulley and be done.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

I hear you. In my case I had a near new truck pump that came with my motor. I considered buying the 98-02 F-body pump + spacers +tensioner (about $200) or the 2010 camaro water pump ($150+ $95 tensioner). I also could have used the F-body pump and pressed on the truck pulley, but I decided to be cheap.

I drilled and tapped the truck water pump in about 45min this weekend. The hose fitting was $7. I bought the tap and drill for ~$60 or so, but I could have borrowed one. Water pumps usually last 100-150K in my experience so I am not to worried about being left on the road.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turtle Bite
I hear you. In my case I had a near new truck pump that came with my motor. I considered buying the 98-02 F-body pump + spacers +tensioner (about $200) or the 2010 camaro water pump ($150+ $95 tensioner). I also could have used the F-body pump and pressed on the truck pulley, but I decided to be cheap.

I drilled and tapped the truck water pump in about 45min this weekend. The hose fitting was $7. I bought the tap and drill for ~$60 or so, but I could have borrowed one. Water pumps usually last 100-150K in my experience so I am not to worried about being left on the road.
The older truck pumps and the cs/genIV pumps are all the same casting. The tensioner with swap right over. I put the truck tensioner right on the LS1 pump.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
The older truck pumps and the cs/genIV pumps are all the same casting. The tensioner with swap right over. I put the truck tensioner right on the LS1 pump.
Good to know. I saw the part numbers/ interchange for the tensiors was different on RockAuto so I wasnt sure it would work.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

My 1" NPT to 1-1/4" hose barb came from Mcmaster today so I had to see if it would work.

I think once I find a freeze plug I will be good to go.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Launching!

I've emailed frezeplugwarehouse as they don't have a phone number listed. Have not heard back yet.

I drilled and tapped my pump for the Moroso fitting, i'll post a picture later. I have to agree with most that it's best to start with an f-body pump, the GTO/LS3 pump is an even better choice. I wanted to try it as an alternative to swapping pulleys and yes it is way easier to swap the pulley. But, if you happen to have the truck pumps laying around and you have the tooling required..... then why not. Guys, myself included, like to say they did it themselves. In this case, buy the f-body pump.

Spacers, skip the spacers as they are a waste of money, It's cheaper to by a reman truck pump for the pulley. Keep it clean looking and swap the pulley.

If I do hear back about the freeze plug I will let everyone know as I will be buying a bulk quantity depending on pricing.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why not tap the hole and get a threaded plug to screw into top instead of a freezeplug.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
Why not tap the hole and get a threaded plug to screw into top instead of a freezeplug.
That thought crossed my mind. On my pump the bore of the top hole 1.297" and it did not look like there was enough meat for a 1-1/4" npt plug (1.500" drill size). I am planning on ordering the dorman freeze plug from rock auto with my next order. Plan B will be cutting the old outlet and welding a cap on. Plan C will be welding the casting itself. At that point I would probably just buy a F body pump for $80 from rock auto.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

With a mechanical TB, you might even be able to use an 07+ truck water pump with the angled outlet. No mods other than maybe a little clearancing needed.

Originally Posted by Turtle Bite
That thought crossed my mind. On my pump the bore of the top hole 1.297" and it did not look like there was enough meat for a 1-1/4" npt plug (1.500" drill size). I am planning on ordering the dorman freeze plug from rock auto with my next order. Plan B will be cutting the old outlet and welding a cap on. Plan C will be welding the casting itself. At that point I would probably just buy a F body pump for $80 from rock auto.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

any email response from them ...thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Launching!

No response from freezeplugfactory but i've found a OE plug from Range Rover that is 1.300". Also a distributor within 10 miles of me who has them in stock. I'm going tomorrow to check them out and will let you know if they will work.

The late model truck waterpump is not an option as the whole point here was to convert to an LS1 style pump with the hose connection coming out the front of the pump.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 PM
formerly 2000blackcamaross (6-25-2013)

Why not run a Fbody water pump and spacers? Or run a LS3 Fbody water pump?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by garys 68
With a mechanical TB, you might even be able to use an 07+ truck water pump with the angled outlet. No mods other than maybe a little clearancing needed.
This is true.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:40 PM
formerly 2000blackcamaross (6-25-2013)

Originally Posted by 2000blackcamaross
Why not run a Fbody water pump and spacers? Or run a LS3 Fbody water pump?

Here is my fbody pump with spacers...

Old 03-25-2013, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

i also did the pulley swap method... worked great.

i tried keeping the truck pump and pulley cutting down the upper fitting and using a throttle body spacer for more clearance. it just wasnt enough.

my water pump is casted differently than the ls1 pump and other truck pumps. it doesnt have the area to drill out and tap to move the upper water neck to the ls1 location so that wasnt an option.

checked out the 07 and newer truck pumps. figured that would be a good option since its direct bolt on with no modification what so ever. they are expesive as hell!!

ls1 water pump with spacers were as stated already as much as water pumps and then that was another mounting surface to worry about leaking and after buying the spacers now i still needed a water pump.

thanks to 99VetteFRC and his build i didnt realize the pulleys were intercangeable. found a lightly used ls1 water pump on craigslist for $50. used a 2 jaw puller and a bearing seperator to pull the pulley evenly and pressed it on the new pump. done

to each their own but this way seemed like the easiest and cheapest way

Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 PM
Launching!

The RangeRover plug was bigger than advertised. It would never press into the truck pump. I ended up with a 34.3mm plug from NAPA, 381-9006. It was smaller than the RangeRover plug. I'll drill out the pump the .050" and press in the freeze plug and seal it with loctite. Posting pictures as soon as it's done.

Quick Reply: Truck waterpump converted to F-body.