Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel spacer issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel spacer issue

I have a problem and need help. I have a 2001 5.3l with a 99 Tahoe 4L60E transmission attached to it. I installed the flywheel spacer on the crank. I attached the torque converter and no movement. I found out that the torque converter is pulled out of the pump. Now my question is, Do I need to put the spacer before or after the flywheel? I have read several threads that show both ways. I can't seem to make heads or tails which way. I have attached the picture how mine is. Any help will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Flywheel spacer issue-pic297.jpg   Flywheel spacer issue-0310htp_move19_z.jpg  
Old 03-15-2013, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the converter is pulled out of the pump, then you need to get it slid into the pump. The front for the converter should be about 1 1/2 inches inside the bellhousing when it is locked into the pump. Also you have the spacer and flywheel order mixed up. The spacer should be between the flywheel and the crank surface.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The position of the spacer is completely dependent on the flexplate you have.
Gen I / II / 4.3 V6 transmission and dished flexplate: crank - flexplate - spacer

Gen I / II / 4.3 V6 transmission and flat flexplate: crank - spacer - flexplate

If you install the spacer as Blackpony suggested the starter won't line up. From your photo it appears you have a V6 or Gen I / II transmission with the dished flexplate and the spacer is in the proper place. I have the same setup in my Thunderbird and a friends car we recently finished.

If you still have problems, you need to ensure the torque converter is properly seated as Blackpony stated above. To do that by hand press the converter into the transmission while spinning it. Make a few revolutions and it should clunk into place and seat further in the transmission front pump. Do NOT force it. One or two revolutions should do what you need. If not, the converter may be angled down or you have the wrong converter.

By the way, now is a good time to elongate the converter holes on the flexplate because they will be off by about 2mm.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
The position of the spacer is completely dependent on the flexplate you have.
Gen I / II / 4.3 V6 transmission and dished flexplate: crank - flexplate - spacer

Gen I / II / 4.3 V6 transmission and flat flexplate: crank - spacer - flexplate

If you install the spacer as Blackpony suggested the starter won't line up. From your photo it appears you have a V6 or Gen I / II transmission with the dished flexplate and the spacer is in the proper place. I have the same setup in my Thunderbird and a friends car we recently finished.

If you still have problems, you need to ensure the torque converter is properly seated as Blackpony stated above. To do that by hand press the converter into the transmission while spinning it. Make a few revolutions and it should clunk into place and seat further in the transmission front pump. Do NOT force it. One or two revolutions should do what you need. If not, the converter may be angled down or you have the wrong converter.

By the way, now is a good time to elongate the converter holes on the flexplate because they will be off by about 2mm.
Good eye, I did not catch the dish flex plate

Quick Reply: Flywheel spacer issue