Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Member's "New" harness woes, PIC HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lt1s10
I would steer clear from SSP... I have been bent hard by Steve Hiltner in the past. Not sure who Bill is but just beware. What a total waste of human space.
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=450605

SSP sucks. They have a **** product, **** customer service and ethics.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to even get into this but most of whats in this thread is BS. I dont know Steve or Bill. I have done business with ssp, on multiple occasions. And it seems that maybe wiring is just to much for some lesser experienced home mechanics to tackle. I ve probably bought 4 to 6 harnesses from ssp in the last year. I ve probably called asking questions twice, maybe three times. And guess what, the problem was never on their end. I do know better then to try to save a buck and alter a stock harness. Really? The pictures posted....dont look anything like what I get. Honestly do how old are these? I have pictures to post today...that I took today. Of two brand new harnesses by two different suppliers. Both imo are fine. Ones not really better then the other for any particular reason. I also have running two and three year old harnesses that look like new compared to what is posted on here.

I can tell you that a PSI harness does NOT label ANYTHING except the ac request wire from the pcm (no end). A PSI harness 9 other loose wires that are not labeled and have no end. Not one connector is labeled. I actually prefer this, cause the labels are ugly and I have to remove them, and I know what each connector looks like anyways.

A ssp harness has every connector labelled. A ssp harness has 16 loose wires, that includes the ac request wire. (16 to 10 respectively). I think 6 of the ssp loose wires are bat power or switch power, so its not that different or difficult. I also dont think its a big deal that PSI doesnt label there connectors. If you need the connectors labelled, you shouldnt be doing it.

I suspect the rest of the loose wires are virtually the same....fan 1 fan 2, fp relay etc...and in my experience only about half ussually get used.

ssp on the left, PSI on the rt
Attached Thumbnails One Member's "New" harness woes, PIC HEAVY-006.jpg   One Member's "New" harness woes, PIC HEAVY-007.jpg  

Last edited by 1320; 04-25-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

see the little white tags, those are labels for those that need them.

ssp loose wires on the left, PSI on the rt.

The last pic is the directions, and are very very similar. It doesnt take much to hook up 10 wires..

I personally like the ssp. The psi harness picture did come with trans control (one reason its larger, and does have a fuse box. I dont like that the fuse boxe is intergrated, because then I dont have a choice where to put it, its going where it reaches. A lot of the stuff I do is hotrod, race car and street rod based, so I choose a nice hidden place, or accessable place to put the fuses and relays.

From a quality stand point, they appear almost indentical and since neither has failed me in multiple uses, I base the decision on what to use depending on the final use. I make slightly more money and have more freedom as a builder using the ssp, but if the job dictates it, I have no problem using a PSI or some others as well. Bottom line is that most problems are somewhere else.

Maybe I get better service because I dont call them blaming them for something they didnt do? Maybe because I dont have call them much? I dont know, but service from them has been faster then virtually all other suppliers Ive used, (maybe its the distance, I doubt it)but If I did my job right, I ordered early anyways.
Attached Thumbnails One Member's "New" harness woes, PIC HEAVY-012.jpg   One Member's "New" harness woes, PIC HEAVY-011.jpg   One Member's "New" harness woes, PIC HEAVY-010.jpg  

Last edited by 1320; 04-25-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1320
I hate to even get into this but most of whats in this thread is BS. I dont know Steve or Bill. I have done business with ssp, on multiple occasions. And it seems that maybe wiring is just to much for some lesser experienced home mechanics to tackle. I ve probably bought 4 to 6 harnesses from ssp. I ve probably called asking questions twice, maybe three times. And guess what, the problem was never on their end. I do know better then to try to save a buck and alter a stock harness. Really? The pictures posted....dont look anything like what I get. Honestly do how old are these? I have pictures to post today...that I took today. Of two brand new harnesses by two different suppliers. Both imo are fine. Ones not really better then the other for any particular reason. I also have running two and three year old harnesses that look like new compared to what is posted on here.

I can tell you that a PSI harness does NOT label ANYTHING except the ac request wire from the pcm (no end). A PSI harness 9 other loose wires that are not labeled and have no end. Not one connector is labeled.

A ssp harness has every connector labelled. A ssp harness has 16 loose wires, that includes the ac request wire. (16 to 10 respectively). I think 6 of the ssp loose wires are bat power or switch power, so its not that different or difficult. I also dont think its a big deal that PSI doesnt label there connectors. If you need the connectors labelled, you shouldnt be doing it.

I suspect the rest of the loose wires are virtually the same....fan 1 fan 2, fp relay etc...and in my experience only about half ussually get used.

ssp on the left, PSI on the rt
As I stated in my OP, I did not purchase this harness and I did not post where it came from because I cannot guarantee where it came from. Besides- thats not very ethical and not the right thing to do.

What I can say is everything that I posted is 100% accurate of this particular harness.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1320
see the little white tags, those are labels for those that need them.

ssp loose wires on the left, PSI on the rt.

The last pic is the directions, and are very very similar. It doesnt take much to hook up 10 wires..

I personally like the ssp. The psi harness picture did come with trans control (one reason its larger, and does have a fuse box. I dont like that the fuse boxe is intergrated, because then I dont have a choice where to put it, its going where it reaches. A lot of the stuff I do is hotrod, race car and street rod based, so I choose a nice hidden place, or accessable place to put the fuses and relays.

From a quality stand point, they appear almost indentical and since neither has failed me in multiple uses, I base the decision on what to use depending on the final use. I make slightly more money and have more freedom as a builder using the ssp, but if the job dictates it, I have no problem using a PSI or some others as well. Bottom line is that most problems are somewhere else.

Maybe I get better service because I dont call them blaming them for something they didnt do? Maybe because I dont have call them much? I dont know, but service from them has been faster then virtually all other suppliers Ive used, (maybe its the distance, I doubt it)but If I did my job right, I ordered early anyways.

I have never had my hands on a PSI harness. And there are two reasons for this.

1. I dont buy competitors products
2. I usually only get harnesses from other companies that customers have experienced issues with. So if a company sells a quality product I will never see one of their harnesses.

What I can say beyond any reasonable doubt is that the harness is have reviewed in this thread could not even compare to a quality harness made by a reputable company such as PSI. Labels or not.

I would rather lose out on a MINOR issue such as labels than get a harness that was wrong in every way at the core of its very foundation.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491

Last edited by BP Automotive; 04-25-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1320, have you measured the wire thickness or experienced any issues with iggnition in 800+ hp forced inductions builds using the ssp harnesses? I am honestly curious.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bp, I was just reviewing your pictures. What you received was most deffinately mis represented to you. I dont know why, but its obviouse to me that ssp did not do that harness. Perhaps the customer tried to have them do it? Tried to have them fix it? I dont know, but thats not even close at all to what they produce. Someones lieing, plain and simple and Im a third party here, and if ssp produced that, it was some other ssp than the one I deal with, or someone that did it out the back door with out their knowledge. Its actually pretty ridiculous, that being represented as a new product. Theres deffinately something going here that isnt adding up.

"paid extra for labels" someone said? Hell everyone I get is labelled, and I dont want em... What ever you have there......isnt what you were told is was. The reasoning behind that is anyones guess.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sarg, I have not measured the wire thickness, never had a reason to. Almost everything I do is turboed though. My main business is custom fabrication, based around turbo systems. I built Zombiess rear mount, etc... Most of the stuff is either twin 35's, 63's, 67's, or big singles, 76 and up. Now mostly 80 mm and up unless its just a dedicate street car.

I can tell you, I ve had many more issues with oem harnesses and some of them have been beyond strange. I buy harnesses, for engine swap cars, and most of the time its around 1 hr of labor to pull the harness out of the box, to turn the key. Recently I had a fuel delivery problem on one project. Not harness related at all, I just chose a + crank only wire source versus run also...lol. I assumed it would stay hot running.....it didnt. The next feed source I found did not supply enough voltage, wouldnt run at all.....I hook up to the battery ....fired right up...hook up to my keyed 12 v source....no thing. There was a voltage difference, and it was small, but enough. A few more minutes searching for a good source was the easy solution.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have all my paperwork from SSP I called them twice when installing my harness. Both times I had a question about wire colors not matching the instructions and loose wires causing a misfire. I should have asked why does my harness have used connectors? Why are most the wires 22G and not 18? I have in no way modified the SSP harness. I paid them to add the fuse box and obd2 connector. I got the fuse box but no OBD2 port. Do a google search on SSP. The first two results are complaints about quality and service. Now google Bp automotive, Bill's results speak for themself. He is always on ls1tech answering questions and offering advice. Jon also asnswers questions'/advice on here. Where is Steve?? He has been banned from many sites for his ethics/actions.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Haha, ran into the same thing recently. Was puzzling at first. Quite honestly their harness "looks" very nice and the engine side of mine was labled well. I am concerned about the coil and injector wires though as they are TINY compared to what I am used to seeing. Cranking it up they seem fine, but I know how sensitive ignition can get with current draw and misfires under forced induction apllications. I guess worst case I run it and if it breaks up I know where to start!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=1320;17347591]Bp, I was just reviewing your pictures. What you received was most deffinately mis represented to you. I dont know why, but its obviouse to me that ssp did not do that harness. Perhaps the customer tried to have them do it? Tried to have them fix it? I dont know, but thats not even close at all to what they produce. Someones lieing, plain and simple and Im a third party here, and if ssp produced that, it was some other ssp than the one I deal with, or someone that did it out the back door with out their knowledge. Its actually pretty ridiculous, that being represented as a new product. Theres deffinately something going here that isnt adding up.

"paid extra for labels" someone said? Hell everyone I get is labelled, and I dont want em... What ever you have there......isnt what you were told is was. The reasoning behind that is anyones guess.[/QUOTE/]

I bought the harness and I have no reason to lie. I have receipts from them and that is what I received.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would expect stuff like this from a guy doing a budget diy build, but If I spent 500 bucks on something like that I would pretty upset
Old 04-26-2013, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm closer to 700 invested in the SSP harness. You live and learn.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Well I thought I would post this here as well. The harness that we got for my friend's truck has the wrong injector clips. They are not the EV1 style that we ordered, but some other kind....probably for truck injectors maybe? They shipped it with a MAF plug and no separate IAT plug when there was not even supposed to be a MAF connector, only an IAT. The alternator plug is wrong and for some unknown alternator, but not the one we took a picture of and sent them. All in all we will have over $800 total, not counting time, in fixing the screw ups in this harness.

And finally as mentioned above the wires leading to the ignition on both sides are in fact 22 gauge. You can definitely see that on the side of the coil pack connector from GM the wire is at least 18 gauge. It is a very pronounced difference in size from the SSP harness. You can tell that GM was using a much larger wire than what SSP used. I can't imagine that those coils on a forced induction application are not going to be pulling some juice. There are enough issues with spark blow out on stock GM coils and ignition that I have read about without adding to these issues by using tiny wire. We are going to run it for right now until we start turning up the boost at which point we will probably run new wire to both sides just to make us sleep better at night if nothing else, lol.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I started another car....(my own 66 vette) last night. I wired both orange wires together, and the pink wires together. I ran my loose red (fp) wire to a relay, and the white wire to my tach. I tried starting it, and nothing....I had no power on the orange wires from my fuse panel, so I chose another slot, and it fired up, and set into a idle in about 20 seconds.

I ve bought many harnesses over the years....I ve used painless, a couple of smaller places, psi, and ssp. Virtually all the same, with minor differences. I plan on using ssp again and again....mostly because I ve waited along time on some places and ssp has delivered to me in days...many times with in 7 days. I wouldnt be happy with what is pictured in this thread either, not at all, its just not my experience AT ALL. I can pull their harness out of the box, and have it running in less then 45 minutes.

As for the coil pulling power? For gm coils having a history of blowing out spark? Uh, they have made more than 2000hp....on the dyno. oem... You want to talk about a lying bs company....lets get going on msd.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Well, I can tell you we will have hours and hours fixing this harness, getting all new EV1 connectors, new IAT plug, new alternator plug, deleting the MAF wiring and making everything look decent afterwards. I don't know why you continue to stick up for them despite the fact that you are presented with evidence to their screw ups. Maybe it is because you have had good experiences with them. Maybe they give you good service because they know you are local and will come down there to get it right?

I don't honestly know the answer to why our experience has been so screwed up. My personal harness from them other than the 22 gauge wire for ignition seems pretty correct. The only thing I will have to add is an additional plug for the 4L80E front shaft sensor, but I did not tell them about that. This other harness has been a wrong since day one. Maybe they just shipped out a generic truck harness, I don't know, but it is not what we ordered or what we paid for.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont know either man, I dont, Im not local to them, I have never met them either. They are in az, Im in nv, so shipping is only like a day or two though.

I hope you get it squared away though.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Between me and a couple friends we currently have 5 cars running ssp harnesses with no problems at all.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:59 AM

There was never a 'NEW' owner for SSPwiring/Sand and Street Performance in Prescott Valley AZ. Steve Hiltner and Karen Hiltner are the only persons on the LLC. When I filed my suit those are the only names associated to that busines
Old 12-19-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

And the post from YB. Apparently they screwed one too many people.

Originally Posted by LSgeek
Steve took MY aluminum 5.3 with 25,000 miles that I paid to have a cam and intake installed....... ground the numbers off and re-stamped it a 5.7. Then he shipped it to Fineline Restorations in Brighton CO. as a rebuilt 5.7. Luckily I have witnesses that used to work for Steve who are going to testify in court for me. Fyi Sand and Street/SSP Wiring is now located in 9467 E. Valley Rd. Prescott Valley, AZ
Also when you buy one of his rebuilt engines, if you don't purchase brand new Pro Comp Chinese heads what you end up getting are stock heads that are disassembled , cleaned, painted with aluminum paint, reassembled with stock 100,000 plus mile unfinished valves and old springs. BUT...you get new valve seals! Lol What a deal!!
The Attorney General is compiling evidence and Steve will be held accountable for his thieving fraudulent business practices. If you want to join the bandwagon, contact the Prescott AZ Attorney G!

Quick Reply: One Member's "New" harness woes, PIC HEAVY