Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 el camino ls1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brakes are done, intake is done. Just gotta get the gauges installed and interior together. Then throw the body together and prep for paint! I suck at bending brake lines up but they'll work, 4th gen fbody booster/master with a wilwood prop valve.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Nice job. I been kinda watching your progress.
I noticed you dont have your wiper motor installed.

I have a 1968 ElCamino swap that I have been working on for about the last 8 months. I had to remove my wiper motor to get the clearance for the PVC set up.

What have you got going on under your coil covers for your PVC?

Thanks
Pete
Old 07-13-2014, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

This thing is turning out nice, but you forgot the turbo...jk
Old 07-14-2014, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1929chev
Nice job. I been kinda watching your progress.
I noticed you dont have your wiper motor installed.

I have a 1968 ElCamino swap that I have been working on for about the last 8 months. I had to remove my wiper motor to get the clearance for the PVC set up.

What have you got going on under your coil covers for your PVC?

Thanks
Pete
Would love to see pictures of your swap, not very many 68-72 el caminos running around lsx. At least any that I've found. I just installed the wiper motor yesterday. I'll get some pictures later this week. Had to remove the hose that goes on top of the black plastic cap in the head. I'm cutting the top of that cap off and tapping it for a 90 degree hose barb, then plugging the hose into that. I have about a half inch between the hose and wiper motor. Hope that makes sense. Once I get a picture you'll understand.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by boostedc20
This thing is turning out nice, but you forgot the turbo...jk
Thanks! And trust me I didn't forget! Once it's all painted and funds build back up, a turbo shall find its home.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shanex25
Thanks! And trust me I didn't forget! Once it's all painted and funds build back up, a turbo shall find its home.

good to see this thing come together. I have the turbo itch myself.. its a sickness...

i like the 4th gen master cylinder, any mods to make it work?
Old 07-30-2014, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lownfast
good to see this thing come together. I have the turbo itch myself.. its a sickness...

i like the 4th gen master cylinder, any mods to make it work?
Me too lol, i'm to the point now im just doing what i can as quickly as i can to get it on the road. Upgrades can come while im driving it, but i have been reading a lot of turbo builds lately too which isnt helping the itch.

Did you end up swapping over to 4th gen brakes? How do they feel over the factory front disk? I installed the master in less than an hour. Just cut the studs off the 4th gen booster and drill holes where the studs were. it'll bolt right up in the stock location on the firewall. Then youll need to lengthen the shaft that goes to the pedals about an inch. Easy stuff. Then i used adaptors to hook a regular 3/8-24 inverted flare tube nut to the metric bubble flares on the master for my 3/16 brake lines, Adaptor part numbers are edelman 264000 for the front port and 265000 for the rear. Been waiting to see how the paint turned out on your car too btw…
Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the same thing with the 4th gen master, but used an aftermarket 9" dual diaphragm booster. The 4th gen booster wouldn't clear my coil packs.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice project
Old 08-02-2014, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Got the steering shaft installed. All the front end tightens up, greased, and aligned. Power steering is smooth on it, except the front seal in the jeep steering box I have in it is leaking. Which is annoying. Hopefully by the end of this week it will move around the shop under it's own power. Just need to button up a couple more things. My radiator decided to start leaking too, so I'm gonna have to get one of those as well now. Hopefully she's off to the exhaust and alignment shop by next weekend. Still need to finish my gauges and then I'll be extremely close to driving it.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Been following along here and enjoying watching the progress you're making. I am curious about your air intake set-up. What I put together for my Elky keeps wanting to come apart. I have fabed up several brackets, but
haven't found the right solution yet. Could you tell me what you are using, and what is supporting it? Thanks and good luck.

Blanchard
1970 El Camino LS2/4l60e
Attached Thumbnails 1972 el camino ls1 swap-img_0298.1.jpg  
Old 10-07-2014, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I havent swapped my brakes yet, but soon. Waiting on the car to come home. the body shop it was at started getting shady so i got the car out of there. the new painter has had to strip the car and start over. i did find a RH drive s10 master cylinder im using for my brakes when i get to them.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Haven't updated this in a while, everything just got put on hold, but I'm back at it. Drivetrain is done, just need to hook my gauges up and install the interior. Still have to do the exhaust too. Here it is as of now. Very dusty from sitting, but not for long! Gonna get it together and mess with the body work later. I just wanna get it on the road.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:27 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Wow just saw your car, I have been looking over a year for an ls swapped 68-72 el camino. I have not seen a single one finished. Your car looks awesome. How much is your car lowered? Pretty much exactly what I'm going for, love the 69. And on the nittos.. I love them, I have them on my 00 ss same 285 in back, they hook up well. Stickiest street tire I've seen. After multiple burn outs, drag days, and 10k miles they still look new also.
Hey man. I was reading updates on your car and just saw that you'd asked me this question months ago. It has the Hotchkis TVS. It was lowered 1" front and 2" rear, but I recently changed to the 1" springs in the rear so now it has a slight rake. I ended up getting the Nitto's. I'm very happy with them over my old BFG's. The ElCo is coming along nice. Keep chugging along and it'll be on the road before you know it.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Very excited after today. Moved the car out of the shop under it's own power for the first time in over 25 years. Even drove it around the yard a bit. Can't wait to button a couple things up and get it on the road.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

It drives! Extremely well actually until the walbro giving out. First time in so many years. Running open headers and nothing but 1 seat and a steering wheel. Ran into town and back and the the walbro 255 had been making a loud whining sound all day that kept changing tones. Like the kind of sound a remote control car would make if the wheels were under a load. As soon as I turned into the drive way it started running really rough and died. The fuel pump was really making some noise then. I could prime it a few times and it would start run rough and die. I kept doing that until I got it back in the garage. I took the pump off and ran fresh fuel through it into a gas can for a couple minutes and it sounded fine. Put it back in and it ran good for 10 minutes then started doing it again and being noisy. I don't know if walbro has any kind of warranty, I got the pump off eBay a year ago. Any ideas? Bad pump? Kind of frustrating, also the balljoints that came with the eBay control arms boots are completely rotted after 6 months of sitting in my shop. Very annoying building a car with all brand new parts and still having bad fuel pumps, ball joints, etc. Afterwards Lol anyways I'm still excited about it, trying to decide on what to do about an exhaust? Open to all suggestions.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome to hear you got drive it. My walbro was making noise too. It sat for almost 6 months tho. I have magnaflow but really want some thing meaner sounding. I'm thinking spintech

I almost have mine back together. It's the details that take time. Plus I have brakes from a c6 I need to swap. Great job!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Old 01-25-2015, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lownfast
Awesome to hear you got drive it. My walbro was making noise too. It sat for almost 6 months tho. I have magnaflow but really want some thing meaner sounding. I'm thinking spintech

I almost have mine back together. It's the details that take time. Plus I have brakes from a c6 I need to swap. Great job!
Thanks! Such a relief seeing it on the road. Spin techs do have a nice tone to them, my buddy has them on his gto. They have no rasp, but have a deep gurgle that is awesome. The brakes are such an easy swap. I need to pull my front calipers off and paint them, I got in a hurry and just slapped them on. The c6 calipers are huge, those will look great! That orange looks great on the 71, Hows the 2.0 project coming?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks! Such a relief seeing it on the road. Spin techs do have a nice tone to them, my buddy has them on his gto. They have no rasp, but have a deep gurgle that is awesome. The brakes are such an easy swap. I need to pull my front calipers off and paint them, I got in a hurry and just slapped them on. The c6 calipers are huge, those will look great! That orange looks great on the 71, Hows the 2.0 project coming?
Thanks. It came out really nice. I still need to do the stripe, just had to wait till the 29th. (90 days to fully cure) I haven't touched 2.0 since I took it to my grandfathers place, bought a few parts here and there. I'm saving for power tour again and spending big money on a fence and gate to enclose my drive way. Had some problems with a neighbor kid and his tweaker friends.

Fyi I swapped my ball joints with moog before I put any real miles on the car. I suggest proforged tall uppers and standard lowers. Just don't leave the China joints!

Quick Reply: 1972 el camino ls1 swap