Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'84 Cutlass JY5.3 LS9 cam, D1SC, 4L80e, Budget Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also pm me about the pros and cons of the CTS-V. Wife wants to get an '09 this winter from a family friend, '09 sedan, auto with 89k for $29k.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kainedogg
Hilarious Dave. What are your power goals for the supercharged 5.3?
I honestly don't even care what the power is...I want a 9 second slip and drive it to and from the track.

At this time it is still up in the air until I buy the first piece either way. I may still stick with the S475 depending on how the finances go this year, but I will say this...Bob@Brutespeed has been a fantastic vendor and overly generous with advice over the years. Yes, I have purchased some relatively expensive things from him, but he has never once not responded promptly or has ever been short with me because I have flip flopped on what ProCharger to go with for the 3000th time. For cryin' out loud, he even responded to me around 6am in the morning from his plow truck with only one damn coffee in the system...that is serious service man! I respect that type of stuff and that is the type of person I want to do business with.

That being said, I am currently sticking with the F1A approach and with the 5.3L I would be looking to set the car up somewhat like what is done in NMCA True Street. I am getting a set of 1-7/8" headers from him first...still waiting on Uncle Same to give me my money back...bastid. Once all that has come in and my wife has wiped out a majority of it, I will give Bob what's left for headers most likely...haha. I made a punch list of stuff that is hanging in the kitchen and in what order I will get it. Headers are pretty high on that list because I can finish the exhaust at that point and break the engine in as it sits while collecting other parts. I am keeping a beefed up 4L80e because I want the OD and I will see how far an $1100 converter and a $150 shiftkit will take me...

What it comes down to is a dual purpose vehicle...I want a number, but not as bad as I want to be able to drive the thing. If that means a D1SC for a little better drivability and 10s...then I am ok with that. I have no doubt Race Proven Motorsports will be able to tune the livin' shyt out of the car when it gets there. I just have to get it to them not looking like last night's dinner the morning after...lol

If I find the Procharger isn't getting the job done then I will go with a BW turbo. Just wanted to try something a little off the beaten path...lots of 5.3L Turbo builds...LOTS of them and high quality. Not a lot of Procharger builds. I know there are pros and cons to every application, I'm a mechanical engineer with a a concentration in thermodynamics and mechanics, but I am also a gluton for punishment and like to learn things for myself. A lot of people give out bad advice on the interwebs, instead of sifting through all of it to determine what's what...I'd rather waste money when I can teaching myself the truth.

DEFINITELY more pics tomorrow.

Dave
Old 03-30-2013, 05:59 AM
TECH Resident

I dropped off the heads yesterday for a valve job and spring/guide replacement. Looking forward to getting them back. On a side note, my machine shop has his dyno installed and operating so I will be taking my engine/power adder set-up over to him and will run it on the engine dyno when I have it up and running. Yes there will be some video of it. Should be a little different and fun for the site to see what a budget 5.3L build can do!

Pics to come on the engine updates shortly.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

A little teaser for later this week....finally made a decision on my the direction of my build. Bob at Brutespeed....you'll be getting a call from me for headers this week/early next!

A&A Procharger bracket...got a smokin' deal on the 8 rib set-up for the Vette Accessory drive. I will be going F1A or D1SC. I am leaning toward the D1SC namely because I want to keep this a little more street than track (having a kid will do that to ya...haha).

Here's the heads before the machine shop:

Old 04-16-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Solid score this evening! P1SC that was upgraded by Procharger to a D1SC with zero miles! Fraction of the cost and free shipping...so stoked!

Quick Reply: '84 Cutlass JY5.3 LS9 cam, D1SC, 4L80e, Budget Build