Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lsx foxbody mustang swap guru's

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me n my buddy both have swapped foxes, the aje Kmember fits like a glove and for the price cant beat it, we ripped all wiring out and did standalone engine harness and bought a painless knock off 12 circuit fuse box and rewired just what we needed
Old 03-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by viergutz2
you wont be able to use a stock manifold, because of the break booster and steering post. those two make it really fun.
Are you talking intake or exhaust manifolds?

The other problem with running a 4.6k is it puts the front wheels forward an inch or so..

The biggest problem I foresee is the wiring and coolant system.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

this should help for the wiring.
http://www.hybrid-pony.com/thread/205/fox-wiring-newbs

As for the pulse generator I believe dakota digital makes something for this application.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kylel
The BRP kit doesn't seem like all that great of a deal to me. I am working on putting a 6.0 in to an '83 mustang. I bought the Team Z K-member and mount kit, and a CTSV oil pan. Team Z parts are $380-ish, and the oil pan, pickup, dipstick, and tube were $185. You can re-use the windage tray if you are using a truck motor.

For a TH350, you can use a stock mustang trans crossmember- no need for an aftermarket one. The BRP one doesn't look clearanced for exhaust like the factory mustang double hump crossmember. QA1 spring perches fit the Team Z k-member if you want to run stock A-arms- I have used them before too.
Thanks for the info! I did not know you could use the stock springs with the Team Z K-member. Do you need a bump steering kit? Where did you get the ctv pan from?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by redss82
You can also get a 4.6 mustang kmember and bolt that in the 4.6 mounts are really close you can either mod them or buy a set. Does the car still have a cable driven speedo? If so its part number 6800 http://www.transmissioncenter.org/speedometer_cable.htm
UPR makes a nice set of adaptor plates that bolt to LSX using poly 4.6 motor mounts and will work on most any K member. I am using them on my `94 GT LS 383 powered project using a Qa1 K member and Dynatech long tubes (1 7/8's) Much of it from ebay, about $1k for everything and it all fits without modification. You may never find headers for your swap WITHOUT using an aftermarket K member, just sayin.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by svtgearhead
Thanks for the info! I did not know you could use the stock springs with the Team Z K-member. Do you need a bump steering kit? Where did you get the ctv pan from?
Team Z does not sell the spring pads you need. I know QA1 pads fit for a fact- I bought them from Summit. I did not need a bump steer kit. My understanding is that you only need them in a lowered car. I bought my pan/etc. at GMPartsDirect.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1fastlsxnotch

The other problem with running a 4.6k is it puts the front wheels forward an inch or so..

sorry, I should have said exhaust manifold.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Everyone has their own way to do it, but I know that I did mine on a tight budget this year because my son is also startin Jr. Dragsters this year and I had to take alot of my budgeted money from my car and put it torwards his. With only spending around 2,500 or so on this converstion I really like how it is turning out. Just spend alot of time shopping around for your parts because when you think you found a good price you may find another for cheaper. I would say I spent more time researching parts than I did working on my car.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastlsxnotch

They won't put your wheels further forward if you are using the better control arms, (QA1) those are adjustable with spacers, you can shorten or lengthen your wheel base with those arms. Cooling system? just use a stock F body radiator and fan assembly, it works well and is the least expensive route, inlet and outlet are correct. The biggest obstacle with your swap will be getting exhaust to clear the steering, bite the bullet and buy Dynotechs, you will save your sanity and time.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

I've been researching this swap as well, and from what I read the 2010 Camaro manifolds seem like they fit well on one of the swaps I found. They kept the heat shields on them too. It was close to the steering shaft but didn't hit.

The BRP setup is designed around the CTS-V oil pan, so if you're any good at fabrication, the mounts shouldn't be too hard.

As mentioned in a previous post, the 'Vette fuel filter will handle ~500ish HP before needing to swap to a separate filter and regulator.

As 64post said, the F-body radiator, hoses, and fans will fit. I'm pretty sure you can even use the stock radiator mounts from the Mustang. Might have to mod them a little, but from the looks of it, it wasn't much.

The information is out there. I found most of my info from google searches. You can find damn near anything on google.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98SSClone
I've been researching this swap as well, and from what I read the 2010 Camaro manifolds seem like they fit well on one of the swaps I found. They kept the heat shields on them too. It was close to the steering shaft but didn't hit.

The BRP setup is designed around the CTS-V oil pan, so if you're any good at fabrication, the mounts shouldn't be too hard.

As mentioned in a previous post, the 'Vette fuel filter will handle ~500ish HP before needing to swap to a separate filter and regulator.

As 64post said, the F-body radiator, hoses, and fans will fit. I'm pretty sure you can even use the stock radiator mounts from the Mustang. Might have to mod them a little, but from the looks of it, it wasn't much.

The information is out there. I found most of my info from google searches. You can find damn near anything on google.
I've been researching the hell out of it too, the fbody radiator is most likely what Im going to use.

I'm sure the dynatech headers are a good idea, but I plan on going turbo later on, that's why I don't wanna waste money on headers.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

I used the stock fox body radiator with the f body fans. Dont really like how the lower goes across the motor but it works. May upgrade to a different radiator later down the road if the fox one doesnt keep my turbo truck motor coo.l.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Well I got a lot done today before I had to leave unexpectedly. I did not finish both mounts but got most of both complete and have the engine were it should be after mounts are bolted in. with GM part # 19212593 for the oil pan and stock 4 cyl k member the pan fits great. Mine as of now is about 1" below the K member itself at the deepest spot which is the drain plug at front of pan. this deep section is literally between the tires so unless you straddle something tall enough to hit your pan you should be good. My factory rack will hit before the oil pan does. I test fitted some 1 5/8 headers and they seem to fit fine for the most part... I am going to get some 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 on way in next day or so and give them a shot and I will post pics showing everything. we had scrap steel laying around so I didnt even have to use the 1/4" thick plate I purchased to make the mounts. For the trans mount with a th350 i used the double hump crossmember from a gt mustang and put the energy suspension mount with a spacer to get trans right in car I will post pics as soon as the rest of mounts are finished
Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

I'm doing an ls1 swap in a 93 four cylinder notch. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the ls1 clutch assembly. I decided to go with T56.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Teching In

here is an attachment of how the mount on driver side ended up looking it works pretty good but i feel like my k member is twisted or somethings as my mounts didnt have to be proportionate for it to sit in center of engine bay but as mentioned the lowest point atm is the oil pan drain plug which is about 1" below the k member but my mounts for my rack are lower than the K member. Ive got 2" headers waiting to go in and will post pics of fitment and clearances when my 6.0 gets here later this week so hopefully saturday Ill be able to get some work done

***Sorry its actually the left mount now that I look back at the pic my bad ***
Attached Thumbnails Lsx foxbody mustang swap guru's-162.jpg  

Last edited by justincracker; 04-07-2013 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Error
Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

You can use foxbody headers just weld ls flanges
Old 04-10-2013, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 5.3Notch
I have a 90 Notch that I am in the process of doing my first LSX swap. I want to stick with the stock Ford guages. I have a solution for all of the guages except the speedometer. I will be using a 4L60e or a 4L80e, I am leaning on the 4L80e right now due to its strength, and my plans for turbo in the future. Does anyone have any inexpensive ideas on a solution for the electronic signal the GM trans puts out and the mechanocal speedometer in the Mustang? I am trying to do this on the cheap, also looking for an LS6 intake if anyone has one they want to get rid of.
im in the processes in finising my lsx swap lq9 in my 92 coupe how did you get the stock gauge to work would be helpful thxs pm me
Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 91lscoupe
Me n my buddy both have swapped foxes, the aje Kmember fits like a glove and for the price cant beat it, we ripped all wiring out and did standalone engine harness and bought a painless knock off 12 circuit fuse box and rewired just what we needed
with 91lscoupe aje stuff is the way to go BOLT ON!!!

can you tell how did yo hook up your reverse lights im in that right now with micro switch for pro sifter my car was original manuel
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going to be in the same boat. Wiring is annoying. I will have about 2 days of wiring clean up once I am done I am sure.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am looking at a 1990 LX 4-Cylinder. If I make my own motor mount, I can use the the stock k-member and the stock oil pan that is on my 2001 5.3. Correct ?

Do I really need this GM part # 19212593 oil pan ?

I already have a 4.8 & a 5.3 both with 50,000 miles. In addition, I have a 4L60E and rows of T5 !

I am not sure if I want to go Automatic or 5-Speed.

Waid
Attached Thumbnails Lsx foxbody mustang swap guru's-img_1101.jpg   Lsx foxbody mustang swap guru's-img_1102.jpg  

Quick Reply: Lsx foxbody mustang swap guru's