Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

backfire/ popping thru exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default backfire/ popping thru exhaust

I have my car up and running. At first I had a oil pressure issue, I got that ironed out and now I have this. You crank the car and it may or may not idle right. Might idle for 10-20 seconds fine or it may start backfiring right away. I have tried all the timing curves in my 6012 box. The only way it ran "ok" was with a timing curve programmed in of "0" across the board. It was sluggish of course, but it didnt backfire. I have it set where it is roughly 20 degrees at 2000 rpms now and it will backfire. It has a vic jr intake, L92 heads, 6012 box, 4x cam gear with a ls2 front cover. I first thought it was my rigged up intake gaskets sucking air causing a lean condition, but changed them and didnt help. Talked to a friend, he said swap the outside wires on cam sensor connector. I had called him and told him it was being hard to start and was giving me a cam sensor failure. I swapped the wires, it was easier to start and quit failing cam sensor, but still pops out both sides on the exhaust and will occasionally backfire thru the carb. I may have one problem, not sure if this will cause it, but I am running the stock spark plugs from the ly6. I wanted to just use them to get it running and change them later. The motor was running fine in the truck it was pulled from, it just had low oil pressure, so i wouldnt think the crank sensor was damaged. It has a brand new 950 holley ultra hp carb on it. I thought maybe it was bad, tried another 950 I had that ran good last time out and the same thing. The plug wires are new. I am not sure what coils I have. I think they came off of about a 04 chevy truck, so not sure if they are considered LS1 or LS2 style coils. I am not running a map sensor with my box. I am about to give up hope on this thing. Oh, I have the box grounded to the back of the block by the valley cover. Not on the cover but on a spare hole in the block. It might not be a super clean ground, but I thought it was sufficient. I havent monitored the voltage on the switched power wire yet because my meter is at work, but I may need to do that. Is there any way you guys might can steer me in the right direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated and may also prevent me from selling this project before its finished. thanks.

Quick Reply: backfire/ popping thru exhaust