Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 nova lq4 4l60 swap motor mount help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 73 nova lq4 4l60 swap motor mount help

So I have been reading all the nova swaps on this board and the sister swaps(67-69) camaro, and cannot decide on mounts yet. I have the first year of the clamshell mounts, not the short and wide or tall and narrow. My question is this: has anyone been sucessfull with the clamshells, if so which mounts? I have read all about the errors and misfit headers here, and would like to learn from others. I want to use the dougs headers d3337 (long tube) as they seem to fit good as I am keeping the factory a/c suitcase. Or I am leaning towards ditching the clamshells for frame stands. Classic industries is less than a mile from my house. The stands are about 40 bucks for the set. I have already purchased the energy mount inserts and carshop plates. Alittle background: I have owned this car since 1992, my sophmore year in highschool. I finally have the money to do the car up right. I had the car walnut blasted, acid dipped and painted light mettalic green, a original color. The frame was powdered and is done with c5 vette brake mod, I will be using hydro-boost and 98-02 z-28 rear disc with parking brake in the rear. I have a 3:73 posi 8.5 that hopefully will live with the 6.0. I am finishing the motor as we speak, it is a 2004 lq4 stock bottom end freshened with hone, new moly rings, bearings, ported stock oil pump, and a cam spec'd by patrick G. I just finshed the short block with ls7 lifters and buckets, and will be installing the stock ls2 243 heads topped with a new ls6 intake and 78mm t.b. I rebuilt a 2005 4l60e out of a silverado with the alto red frictions, the z-pack overun clutch kit, "the beast" sun shell, and wide band w billet anchor pin. I plan on using the psi harness and ecm, to be dynoed at redline performance later. I will start posting pics later!!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sound like you have been doing your homework.. that is great. .my Nova trans is rebuilt just about like what you used.

But I am no help with them Clamshells, have not had to deal with them except on my 84 Z28... but I most likely have read what you already have found out what others are having problems with. I would say ditch the Clamshells and get some frame mounts and early SBC engine mounts. I am sure someone will buy the inserts. But if you have the time and skills, you can most likely make them work.

Are you rebuilding the 8.5 ?.. if you go with the 30 spline posi and axles, it will hold up well.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 8.5 was rebuilt in years ago, but has maybe 3k miles on it. This car was sold to my dad and stripped years ago to have the body done, but with other projects going it sat. It was headed to the scrap yard but I decided Ii couldnt let my first love get crushed! Will the moser or any other axle still have the same dimensions to work with the f body ls1 rear brakes?
Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

If they are direct replacement axles, they should be the same as what you have now... and with some minor tweeking , the LS1 rear brakes will fit..

Glad too see you save one from the bone yard.. keep us posted ...

BC
Old 04-11-2013, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be more leery of the 60e than an 8.5" 10-bolt. I've heard of guys running them into the 10s, whereas the 60e has built quite a poor reputation. In case you need it, I've got a 4L80e and Vig 3600 stall with just under 3k on the rebuild that you could buy. You know, so I could fund a T56 swap.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

A Built 8.5 has been known to go into the 8's..

hookem...T56 swap?.. yeah.. way to go..LOL

Quick Reply: 73 nova lq4 4l60 swap motor mount help