Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls 69 Chevelle SS won't start? What's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ls 69 Chevelle SS won't start? What's wrong?

Ok I have a 69 396 SS and installed a 4.8. I converted the harness and got everything hooked up except the maf and O2's. The car has fuel, spark, proper fuel pressure and the computer tuned. With the boot undone from the coils I can hear them spark as the car cranks. With the injectors pulled, they each spray fuel cranking. The car fires but won't run, runs a second longer with starter fluid. My friend kept messing with it and when I started the car the next morning, it fired and kinda idled without dying but we never played with it. Figured it was ok and started to clean up the wiring. Went to start again and it just fires and dies as usual. Can't keep it running with fluid as it backfires through the intake.

An obd2 scanner won't connect to it. But since it was just tuned, the computer should be fine. Only a foot of wire between pin 58 and pin 2 on obd connector. I've done a swap before with the same exact issue and it turned out to just be the 3 harness grounds but on this set up I have them tied together and grounded on the firewall. Might not be the best but it did run for a little.

But yeah guys, I'm stumped. Has everything needed to run, there's just nothing else I can think to check aside from the PCM issue.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Checked for codes. 7 are throttle related and one is evap. Don't see how that would stop it.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the fuel pump run in the "on" position, or only when cranking?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have it wired to ign hot run/ crank. Holds good pressure.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try running a grounding jumper from the engine block to the grounds on the fire wall, or just put the grounds on the engine block

Quick Reply: Ls 69 Chevelle SS won't start? What's wrong?