Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUDGET (and I mean BUDGET!!!) 5.3 into 1970 Buick Electra

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love these super budget builds they give me hope of completing mine within budget
Old 09-09-2013, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NshoreFixR
All ready sent it to BP automotive, I sold my 455/th400 for $1000 so I figured I would splurge and have him do the pcm and harness the right way.
I don't see how Brendan at lt1swap is doing anything the wrong way....

I drove up and he was super nice and he sat down and helped me with marking all the plugs I could eliminate. Plus, he did the ECU tuning while I was sitting there and asked questions of options I had not even begun to think about yet.

I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, but maybe you ought to find out more info before saying someone isn't doing something the right way.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

What I did is super budget fuel. Not sure if you're willing to cheap out this much...

I used my stock fuel tank and used sae30r9 fuel injection hose with efi hose clamps. I mounted an in-line walbro part number gsl-392 to push fuel from under the tank. It is $100 pump and street duty. All lines (incuding the fuel rail) that were not barbed, i used a bubble-flaring tool that I rented from advance auto parts to put a 'bard" on them. Then used efi line and clamps on everything. I then used s10 fuel-regulator filter wix part# 33100 to regualte fuel pressure and also to filter, it already has all the barbs you need on it, just needs bubble flare to keep lines on it.

Setup has supported over 600 hp (with a different filter and aeromotive regulaotr). I highly advise you keep a major watch on all your line around the hood, as rubber deteriorates over time, but sae30r9 hose is rated at 100 psi.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 AM
Teching In

BigEd 72455, you need go to back and re-read NshoreFixR posts.

He never said anything bad about lt1swap.

What he said was he sold his engine/tranny combo and he was using that money to get BP to do his harness "the right way". I'm sure he means compared to him doing the harness. Read Post #9 where he says he is going to cut up his truck harness.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Teching In

All right, Motor is in, Harness is here, fuel lines run, cooling system in. I am still scratching my head with the fuel pump. I would like to run an intank setup. Anybody have the part # for Spectra's muscle car EFI sending unit? I saved the fuel pump out of the donor truck and just need a sending unit. I was going to run the mechanical fan, but I am having trouble fabing an intake duck to fit. The old truck intake goes up over the fan but it won't fit under the hood.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Junkyard fans from late model cars are always an option. Measure your area and $20 or 30 from the yard gets you started. I control them from the PCM, but I make my own harness and use HP Tuners to flash the PCM as necessary. A stand alone fan controller works fine too since your harness is already complete.

Here is a brief Car Craft article on the subject.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

did bp provide you with a elec fan relay? if so I agree with the poster before and say get some junkyard fans, im using fans from a 2006 dodge intrepid, work fine
Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Teching In

When I had BP do the harness, I had the motor in, rad in, fan on and cooling hoses ran....just no intake and no foresight to see that that might be a problem. If I am going to run electric fans, I will have to run a stand alone controller. I think I am going to try and make something work with the manual fan, because it fits my shroud and looks sort of stock.

Thanks for all the replies. Anybody have a part # on that spectra sending unit???
Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Dakota Digital PAC-2750 fan controler for sale in the classifieds if you want to go electric.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fast86z
What I did is super budget fuel. Not sure if you're willing to cheap out this much...

I used my stock fuel tank and used sae30r9 fuel injection hose with efi hose clamps. I mounted an in-line walbro part number gsl-392 to push fuel from under the tank. It is $100 pump and street duty. All lines (incuding the fuel rail) that were not barbed, i used a bubble-flaring tool that I rented from advance auto parts to put a 'bard" on them. Then used efi line and clamps on everything. I then used s10 fuel-regulator filter wix part# 33100 to regualte fuel pressure and also to filter, it already has all the barbs you need on it, just needs bubble flare to keep lines on it.

Setup has supported over 600 hp (with a different filter and aeromotive regulaotr). I highly advise you keep a major watch on all your line around the hood, as rubber deteriorates over time, but sae30r9 hose is rated at 100 psi.

Good luck!
Nissan/infiniti (Datsun) now I'm dating myself lol, but this system was In use on their high pressure FI systems for years including their turbo 280 and 300 Z cars
Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NshoreFixR
When I had BP do the harness, I had the motor in, rad in, fan on and cooling hoses ran....just no intake and no foresight to see that that might be a problem. If I am going to run electric fans, I will have to run a stand alone controller. I think I am going to try and make something work with the manual fan, because it fits my shroud and looks sort of stock.

Thanks for all the replies. Anybody have a part # on that spectra sending unit???
hi how do you plan to get the spedo to work?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Budget Adjustable Fan Controller

Here is the SUPER budget fan controller set up I came up with for my carb'd Nova swap. These adjustable thermal fan control switches readily available at any good parts store for $18/ea. Supply + and - and plumb the capilary temp sensor into the rad hose. I used 1 switch for each of my E-fans. Now I have the ability to set 2 different ON temps, one Hi and one Lo. I have the switches trigger sealed solenoids, one for each fan. I scored the solenoids from a late 90's caddy at the junkyard, $5 for 5 solenoids. I mounted the switches is a cheap plastic box I found in the fishing tackle section at Fleetfarm, $3.00. I also mounted a manual override to 1 of the fans in the cab just for piece of mind. Total cost: $20 for 1 fan or $40 for 2 fan. BAM! Take that Spal!

Old 09-27-2013, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Subscribed for the end result. I love budget builds coupled with a can-do attitude.

Quick Reply: BUDGET (and I mean BUDGET!!!) 5.3 into 1970 Buick Electra