Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of swapping LQ9 408 into '04 Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of swapping LQ9 408 into '04 Mach 1

As many LS motors that have been swapped into Mustangs, I think this will be the first '03/'04 Mach 1...

So why am I doing this? Well, for starters this car was a 9.9 car that I've spent an ungodly amount of money on for maintenance and repairs (> 80k), which is rather pathetic for a barely 9 second car. I've had to pull this 4v mod motor about 7 times now.

I blew the engine in November of '11 and hadn't touched it until a couple months ago. As a friend (LS1 guy) and myself started tearing it down, and this being the first time either of us have torn down a mod motor, we realized how much of a gigantic PITA it is to do anything with these motors if you don't have access to a lift. It took us 3 weekends to get one head off. The other one is still on because we've yet to find a way to get the valve cover off without removing the master cylinder.

We'll get it off eventually, but the point is, I don't want to deal with these oversized heads and this undersized 5.0 stroker that I've been running. So screw it, I think with the same blower (NOVI 2000) and a 408 it should be waaaaay into the 9's without much effort. The car will be < 3200 lbs race weight (with me) once this is all said and done based on engine weight differences and that I'm eliminating ALL accessories. Also this'll be 100 times more maintainable for the average joe shmoe like myself.

Also, the failure of this motor was a snapped timing chain. That's my 3rd one. I bent 2 valves and rendered a piston pretty much useless. This won't be a problem anymore with a pushrod.

I know the Ford guys are going to give me ****, but they haven't been through what I've been through and they can kiss my ***

So anyway, I have a few questions.

I'll start off with what I already have that can carry over (assumptions only of course)

I have a complete A1000 fuel system, so as far as I know, all I need are the appropriate fuel rails and I'm good to go there.

I have a UPR K member. Supposedly I can use that, but I'll need to weld notches onto the engine mounts? Anyone have any pictures of this?

Has anyone ever done this swap with a C4 transmission? I already have a WELL built C4, and I know JW Performance makes a bellhousing for this, but will the location of the transmission be offset in comparison to its current location? Will the cross member for the trans need modification? Driveshaft needed modification? Should I just forego buying ANOTHER transmission and get the 4L80, and if so I have the same questions about the cross member and driveshaft.

How difficult is the wiring harness change? As far as working with my gauges, will I need to switch to aftermarket ones?

Anyone know of a good Paxton bracket that puts the blower in front of the motor (like the vettes do) rather than beside it (like some of the F-bodies) that doesn't cost a million dollars? I believe there would be enough room in front of it in the engine bay to do so.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Launching!

a few guys on my forum have done LSX swaps into their 99-04 mustangs
Old 05-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Still have a long way to go before this motor is torn down, but we're getting there.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Silver Sleeper
a few guys on my forum have done LSX swaps into their 99-04 mustangs
Which forum is that?
Old 05-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Launching!

i think upr sells lsx swap mounts. did you figure out if you can run the c4 behind it?
Old 05-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tired2valve
i think upr sells lsx swap mounts. did you figure out if you can run the c4 behind it?
Just posted this today. Have not found out about the c4 yet. All I know is that JW Performance makes a bell housing, but I don't know if that places the C4 in the same spot as it is currently.

Also, thanks for the UPR info. I actually had no idea they existed, but once you told me about it I found it right away

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-g...unt-solid.html

Every forum I go on people say "It's been done plenty of times, do a search". Yeah, well, I've searched a lot and I really haven't found much other than "It's easy!". Great, that helps none LOL.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 PM
9 Second Club

Pm "gray86hatch" I believe he runs a C4
Old 05-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interested to see how this goes.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 04azuremach
Just posted this today. Have not found out about the c4 yet. All I know is that JW Performance makes a bell housing, but I don't know if that places the C4 in the same spot as it is currently.

Also, thanks for the UPR info. I actually had no idea they existed, but once you told me about it I found it right away

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-g...unt-solid.html

Every forum I go on people say "It's been done plenty of times, do a search". Yeah, well, I've searched a lot and I really haven't found much other than "It's easy!". Great, that helps none LOL.
Yeah I hate when people say to "Do a search for it" I mean I've been searching all day and haven't found anything. This me posting that. Haha I understand if the subject is already covered a bunch of times but hey.
If you have any more questions feel free to pm me and I'll help out much as possible
Old 05-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Launching!

I'm the one trying to help OP with this swap. If anyone has a build thread or any useful information, it would be appreciated.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

You're already half way there with the aftermarket k member. UPR and AJE sell mounts for motor and trans. Wiring check out www.LT1swap.com if you plan on doing it yourself or there are a couple of site sponsors that make plug and play harnesses. I am doing my second New Edge swap right now.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Launching!

hybrid-pony.com

Originally Posted by 04azuremach
Which forum is that?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Been a slow moving project. I decided to go with a TH400 because my C4 doesn't have a brake. Also, based on my budget, looks like I'll be going NA for a year or so. I'm still getting a low CR motor for boost though.

I paid FBC performance a down payment for a 408 and a TH400 yesterday.

I figure it should run low 11's/high 10's NA? Race weight around 3100 lbs. Reasonable expectation?

And we did get the motor/trans out of the car:
Old 08-06-2013, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

I'm about at the end of my rope with the modular motors myself. High hp mod motors just dont hold up!! I am interested to see your build.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Old and new...

Quick Reply: Thinking of swapping LQ9 408 into '04 Mach 1