Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subaru SVX LS conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoonsmith
Well really looking forward to it..just anxious to see that..by the way nice video you got out there..thanks for posting it.
me too! Drifting's always fun in a Subaru!
I haven't posted a video but the EG powered impreza was cool indeed!

Originally Posted by YoungBlood71
L33 engines have 243 heads (same as the LS6). You won't have a problem getting more power out of it. It has 80 more horses than the EG33 anyway in stock form. And it's aruminum.
Well 5.7 vs. 5.3. It's gonna make that much less power. But the LS1 is aluminum as well, right? I just feel that it will be easier to transfer the whole thing from one car to another, and since I don't want an auto, the l33 is out, isn't it?
BTW is it a good idea to buy an engine trans from the junkyard? What other places sell engines at low prices?
Originally Posted by BoostinIx
Can't wait to see this happen.
I would start tomorrow have I had the space!

I'll post a pic of the car soon...looks pretty nice actually!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will pay far less for the L33 than a ls1 or ls6 and with a cam and intake it will be moe powerful for less money. My buddy grabbed one with under 70k miles for $750 with all accessories. For max front clearance you can swap over to vette accessories for pretty cheap (what. I did on mine). You will still have to source a 6 speed or get a t5 with the conversion bellhousing to bolt to a ls motor.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Teching In

i Just remembered that the donor car needs to be the same type of vehicle as the donee, meaning an engine cannot go from a truck to a car!
Is there any other cheap options from passenger cars?
Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Car intake and ECU and they will NEVER know the difference.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by david_12121
i Just remembered that the donor car needs to be the same type of vehicle as the donee, meaning an engine cannot go from a truck to a car!
Is there any other cheap options from passenger cars?
Doesnt matter. You can not just use a car ecu either. I would need to be reprogrammed, as A car had a 58 tooth reluctor wheel and a truck has a 24. This is a gear like object that tells the crank shaft sensor what position the engine is in to tell the car when to spark. You just need the right part for what you are trying to do. Get the forums and do a ton of reading. You will find almost all your questions answered. Do to your questions it sounds like you would be in over your head and would get really frustrated doing a swap. coming from someone who has done swaps and turbo builds. It will be a lot more money than you think, and will be a lot more modification than you think. I suggest you make a parts list and submit it in the thread. Then the guys will start to fill in all the gaps of parts and misc. things you will need. Then you will get an idea of what it will take. With a manual trans like a t56 you will be widening your tunnel maybe a new center console.

engine mounts
custom headers
custom wires
drive shaft
wiring harness
conversion for clutch assembly to pedal
possible aftermarket accessories
fuel pump, lines, fittings,filter,regulator
guages

Just to start. But if your committed to messing with all of this. I can be done. Its just time and money. If you still wanna do it. Then go for it. Youll have one of two which makes it pretty cool. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sarg
Car intake and ECU and they will NEVER know the difference.
Engines have serial numbers, don't they? I don't know how much of an *** the inspector would want to be but he could easily tell from the serial number on the engine!
Originally Posted by nodrok
Doesnt matter. You can not just use a car ecu either. I would need to be reprogrammed, as A car had a 58 tooth reluctor wheel and a truck has a 24. This is a gear like object that tells the crank shaft sensor what position the engine is in to tell the car when to spark.
You just need the right part for what you are trying to do. Get the forums and do a ton of reading. You will find almost all your questions answered. Do to your questions it sounds like you would be in over your head and would get really frustrated doing a swap. coming from someone who has done swaps and turbo builds. It will be a lot more money than you think, and will be a lot more modification than you think. I suggest you make a parts list and submit it in the thread. Then the guys will start to fill in all the gaps of parts and misc. things you will need. Then you will get an idea of what it will take. With a manual trans like a t56 you will be widening your tunnel maybe a new center console.

engine mounts
custom headers
custom wires
drive shaft
wiring harness
conversion for clutch assembly to pedal
possible aftermarket accessories
fuel pump, lines, fittings,filter,regulator
guages

Just to start. But if your committed to messing with all of this. I can be done. Its just time and money. If you still wanna do it. Then go for it. Youll have one of two which makes it pretty cool. Good luck.
I'm not understanding the underlined part at all! Sry!

Regarding that list, the engine mount and trans fitment are currently my biggest concerns! I asked the SVX forum for the measurements on the stock trans and the tunnel but nobody gave me any good info!
There are lots of options available for a clutch pedal fitment, as they do quite a lot of manual swaps on the SVX so that's be quite easy in comparison. Regarding the headers, driveshaft, and other aftermarket parts, I'm leaving that for when the engine and trans are in!
And the fuel pump, wires and etc were the reason I wanted to find a running Camaro! That way I'd have everything I'd need to start her up! After that quite a lot of headache for the wiring of the cluster and it will be ready for the driveshaft and headers!
I know it's hard...but in comparison with how much the EG would take to make power, it's a piece of cake! I wish I knew someone like you living around here, so that I could start tomorrow!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

A good inspector might notice the iron block or head casting numbers. Doubtful, but possible. My 2002 5.3 ECM was flashed as an 01 Camaro when I had VATS deleted and it runs fine. Any scan tool that I use reports it as a Camaro with a matching VIN.

An AL 5.3 should pass, but I'd just get an LS1 in your case.

I think the WRX LS swaps required some notching of the engine crossmember.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

When I was putting a ls motor in my etc we just made a new chromoly crossmember.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Gentlemen, I need someone who has done an L33 swap in California, or at least someone who knows the laws!
I have found a mechanic, and a fairly decent T56, so all that remains to begin the job is the engine! I just need to confirm that I can get it legally get her smogged in California!
LS power baby!

Quick Reply: Subaru SVX LS conversion