Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have experience with a Junk Yard alterative to Vintage Air?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you thought about trying one of the universal under dash evaps? I am in the same boat as you. I have a 71 bird that I am restoring and I shaved the firewall in anticipation of the LS swap. I'm not starting to regret it as I'm thinking forward. Our cars just had such a big bulky system. Anyway, I was thinking of using something like this in the link below with the factor hoses and vents. Would still need a condenser, dryer, and the LS compressor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-UNDER-DASH-AC-EVAPORATOR-UNDERDASH-A-C-AIR-CONDITIONER-ADD-ON-UNIT-12V-/251541786758?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a910f1086&vxp=mtr
Old 06-05-2014, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I was looking at too.. I need one with heat and AC
Originally Posted by blswan
Have you thought about trying one of the universal under dash evaps? I am in the same boat as you. I have a 71 bird that I am restoring and I shaved the firewall in anticipation of the LS swap. I'm not starting to regret it as I'm thinking forward. Our cars just had such a big bulky system. Anyway, I was thinking of using something like this in the link below with the factor hoses and vents. Would still need a condenser, dryer, and the LS compressor.

Universal Under Dash AC Evaporator Underdash A C Air Conditioner Add on Unit 12V | eBay
Old 06-05-2014, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.rainbowproductsonline.com/new/option2/ac-products/ac-kits.php
Old 06-05-2014, 10:54 AM

Good find! I would take that entire kit with the air/heat. I bet if you call you can get it without the compressor too. That's of course if you have the LS one.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

At that price, you might as well go with something like this...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-565072

http://www.vintageair.com/Instructions2013/905073.pdf

I've already got my compressor, which is an R4 style from a 90's chevy... so I just need the controller assembly for the interior. This is an almost acceptable price for the amount of pieces you get, even if it requires a bit of fabrication and custom assembly.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
At that price, you might as well go with something like this...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-565072
I agree, for the $30 more, I would go with a well known brand.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS BRAVADA
You need a unit out of a HUMVEE unfortunately it might be another problem trying to get one.
Eesh nooo, I had to replace a unit in a 93 H1, what a frekin disaster. The whole stock unit was a glued together mess, the replacement was also a PITA. its not a wide system but its long, from teh top of the dash to the bottom, a frekin mess. There is nothing redeemable bout that system, its a toss it together to sell these disasters of a truck to make it tolerable on a hot day. haha, can you tell my distain for them? Ive never had a good expirance working on one and ive worked on more than a few.

Why all this re, engineering of factory units? Is it just to get fresh air into the HVAC system? Is it the cost of a vintage air unit etc etc? Ease of getting parts? Just seems like we are re-inventing the wheel in some respects
Old 06-06-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by autocomman
Eesh nooo, I had to replace a unit in a 93 H1, what a frekin disaster. The whole stock unit was a glued together mess, the replacement was also a PITA. its not a wide system but its long, from teh top of the dash to the bottom, a frekin mess. There is nothing redeemable bout that system, its a toss it together to sell these disasters of a truck to make it tolerable on a hot day. haha, can you tell my distain for them? Ive never had a good expirance working on one and ive worked on more than a few.

Why all this re, engineering of factory units? Is it just to get fresh air into the HVAC system? Is it the cost of a vintage air unit etc etc? Ease of getting parts? Just seems like we are re-inventing the wheel in some respects
My goal with this was to avoid the $1400 price tag, but it looks like, since my car was factory air, and I have an a/c compressor installed on the motor, I can get away with the evap kit for <$800 which is much more tolerable for a 99% complete setup. I think this will end up being my end route.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would caution anyone considering using a rear unit out of a SUV. They are only built to work in Recirculation mode so they are always pulling air from inside the car. You want the ability to draw in outside air as well to prevent fogging of windows in the right conditions, etc. Just something to consider. They work fine in the rear of a vehicle. I would not use them in the front.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
I would caution anyone considering using a rear unit out of a SUV. They are only built to work in Recirculation mode so they are always pulling air from inside the car. You want the ability to draw in outside air as well to prevent fogging of windows in the right conditions, etc. Just something to consider. They work fine in the rear of a vehicle. I would not use them in the front.
Thats how pretty much all of the aftermarket kits work anyway
Old 06-06-2014, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
This is the very reason I stick to factory A/C whenever possible. Granted, its not always possible and I do have a Vintage Air system in my '33, but I like the factory systems a lot more.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
This is the very reason I stick to factory A/C whenever possible. Granted, its not always possible and I do have a Vintage Air system in my '33, but I like the factory systems a lot more.
I read about just adding ducting on the aftermarket system to pull in a decent amount from an outside source, and this pretty much solves the problem.
That's the plan for my future at the moment.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

My goal with this was to avoid the $1400 price tag, but it looks like, since my car was factory air, and I have an a/c compressor installed on the motor, I can get away with the evap kit for <$800 which is much more tolerable for a 99% complete setup. I think this will end up being my end route.
$1400 sure seems like a lot of money until you factor in a brand new, more efficient compressor, and a well engineered plug and play system that actually works, it's a small price to pay. Not to mention it should help your resale value.
By the time you cobble together some jy parts, the evap kit looks really appealing.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I picked up an entire system for less than $200 from a donor car. Depending on what you have most of the systems are pretty much interchangeable. Again you cannot even come close to what a factory unit will put out. The real decision is based more on if you want a clean firewall, flow, ducting, and fresh air. No matter what you do to a Vintage or any aftermarket a/c system it will not be nearly as good as a factory system yes it will blow cold air and heat but it will not cool the car in extreme heat. Other factors such as noise, fit, etc again do not come close. Look at the ducting system and compare it to something that looks like a drier duct tube from vintage. Note the vintage is about the size of the inside heater portion only that includes the fan and the evaporator. The evaporator measures 12x9x3. My additional expense is going to be in the form of a modern orifice tube evaporator, condenser, and variable compressor.

Here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have experience with a Junk Yard alterative to Vintage Air?-novaac14.jpeg   Anyone have experience with a Junk Yard alterative to Vintage Air?-novaac12.jpeg   Anyone have experience with a Junk Yard alterative to Vintage Air?-novaac4.jpeg  
Old 06-07-2014, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Firebird has factory air and with the engine in there are no clearance issues. The plan is to have Classic Auto Air do a rebuild on the factory components as they are really the only ones I've found that people seem to trust. If there is someone "better" I would be interested in doing some research on them as well.

As far as rear a/c goes, I was having a conversation with my buddy about it the other day. I want to do front and rear air in the Cadillac due to the immense amount of glass in it and the fact that it gets so hot here. Really, I want both cars to freeze me out when I use them. I went without a/c here one summer and it was brutal and an a/c that just sort of works is almost as bad as no a/c.

I read about just adding ducting on the aftermarket system to pull in a decent amount from an outside source, and this pretty much solves the problem.
That's the plan for my future at the moment.
Do you have a link to this information by chance?

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
I picked up an entire system for less than $200 from a donor car. Depending on what you have most of the systems are pretty much interchangeable. Again you cannot even come close to what a factory unit will put out. The real decision is based more on if you want a clean firewall, flow, ducting, and fresh air. No matter what you do to a Vintage or any aftermarket a/c system it will not be nearly as good as a factory system yes it will blow cold air and heat but it will not cool the car in extreme heat. Other factors such as noise, fit, etc again do not come close. Look at the ducting system and compare it to something that looks like a drier duct tube from vintage. Note the vintage is about the size of the inside heater portion only that includes the fan and the evaporator. The evaporator measures 12x9x3. My additional expense is going to be in the form of a modern orifice tube evaporator, condenser, and variable compressor.

Here are some pics...
What is the donor vehicle you pulled this out of?
Old 06-08-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is the donor vehicle you pulled this out of?
This is from a 76 Nova. It is a VIR system. I am going to replace the evaporator with a 3rd gen Camaro unit or a factory Nova 77-79 unit. The high pressure line and condenser will be from a newer S10/blazer (mid 2000's). A 4th gen variable compressor and 1 custom hose. The only thing you should be looking at is a orifice tube setup. It looks like the cheapest and easiest is to replace the evaporator. The rest is for you to decide on.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with a Junk Yard alterative to Vintage Air?