Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 Camaro LS3 & TR 6060 Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1968 Camaro LS3 & TR 6060 Conversion Question

I have a 2010 Camaro LS3 and TR6060 6 speed MT to put in my '68 Camaro.

I measured from the motor mounts (47") to the shifter but it is hard to tell from my quick measurements if that will work. Can I use this OEM shifter and have it in the "right" or "comfortable" shifting position in the '68????

Last edited by San Diego Car Guy; 06-23-2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: resized image
Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 903 Posts

Resize your picture....damn...LOL

Andrew
Old 06-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Teching In

How's that? Anyone have a helpful response?

Last edited by San Diego Car Guy; 06-24-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Just in case anyone comes across this thread. The setup works wonderfully. The positioning of the shifter is perfectly in line with the steering wheel and feels great.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by San Diego Car Guy
Just in case anyone comes across this thread. The setup works wonderfully. The positioning of the shifter is perfectly in line with the steering wheel and feels great.
How far forward is your engine? My measurements when I did mine with the engine in the (relatively) stock position put that shifter just about between the seats.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Teching In

I don't know how to answer that. I just used the S&P brackets. If I put a straight edge on my steering wheel, the stick would touch the straight edge.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

Are you using a center console? I'm guessing not. I'm glad you got this to work for you, but I don't think it's quite in the factory position is it? For a conversion without a console, if the position is usable cool; I wanted it to be in the factory position.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-OFFSET-SHIFTER-TR-6060-CHEVY-FORD-6-SPEED-SWAP-/110932237844?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d4139e14&vxp=mtr
I believe I have seen people use these. It mounts directly on the transmission where the linkage connects to so it would bring your shifter location much further forward. I think I have seen someone using the 6060 in a 69 Camaro on here. i hope i have been a help.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Teching In

No I'm not using an OEM center console. My car was an automatic before and I've converted it to a MT. I'll be making a custom console myself. This positioning is perfect for me and exactly mirrors the shifter positions in my 2013 Audi S4. I really don't care for the more forward mounting OEM position which requires a longer shifter or reach.

Last edited by San Diego Car Guy; 08-15-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Teching In

I thought I'd provide a few pictures to show where the stock shifter actually sits.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by scooter77
Custom Offset Shifter TR 6060 Chevy Ford 6 Speed Swap | eBay

I believe I have seen people use these. It mounts directly on the transmission where the linkage connects to so it would bring your shifter location much further forward. I think I have seen someone using the 6060 in a 69 Camaro on here. i hope i have been a help.
That was my car, it's a 68
Old 08-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

I thought I'd provide a few pictures to show where the stock shifter actually sits.

Ok, yeah, that's back about between the seats. A center console wouldn't mount at all without some serious modification. That's about where the compartment lid is.

Cool if it works for you.

You can see how much further up the factory position is.

Here's a good reference with the console in place.

I'm glad you made that work, though. If you're not using a console and it's comfortable for you, cool beans. It's a hell of a lot cheaper, that's for sure.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I decided to go this way because I want to mount the ECU under the dash on the trans tunnel. I'll craft a console that covers it all up and make it presentable. I did this in my Ultima too and it turned out ok.

Where did you mount your ECU?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I decided to go this way because I want to mount the ECU under the dash on the trans tunnel. I'll craft a console that covers it all up and make it presentable. I did this in my Ultima too and it turned out ok.

Where did you mount your ECU?
On the fenderwell inside the engine compartment. The length of the harness that speartech did left me no other options. It's a sealed unit and was in the engine compartment on the 2010 that it came out of and it's away from any direct heat sources, so I'm not really worried about it. It's not as clean as I would have liked, so I'll probably have a new harness made at some point in the future.

It's on the left fenderwell. The Cable-X on the right fender well is going byebye. I have the speedo at redline gauge works right now being retrofitted so the C-X is no longer necessary.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m0ondoggy
Ok, yeah, that's back about between the seats. A center console wouldn't mount at all without some serious modification. That's about where the compartment lid is.

Cool if it works for you.

You can see how much further up the factory position is.

Here's a good reference with the console in place.

I'm glad you made that work, though. If you're not using a console and it's comfortable for you, cool beans. It's a hell of a lot cheaper, that's for sure.
Hi Moondog,
Just wondering what trans you started with? I am getting stuff together to do my '68 now and the big trans shifter issue is now at hand. I have an '06 GTO setup and I was going to do the move forward to the service cover to get the shifter in the console. Is that what you have in your pictures with a offset adapter? Is the extra cutting to clear for shifter movement or trans case clearance?

How does that adapter affect the shift "feel" does it give a weird movement or anything. My other thought was to get a '03-04 cobra tail housing and swap it in, it appears that will put you in the T56 Mag location...

I've owned this '68 for 30 years now and I want to minimize any butchering with this upgrade. It's got to look factory when it's done.

Thanks in advance.
The following users liked this post:
Another68 (07-06-2021)
Old 11-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by simcam68
Hi Moondog,
Just wondering what trans you started with? I am getting stuff together to do my '68 now and the big trans shifter issue is now at hand. I have an '06 GTO setup and I was going to do the move forward to the service cover to get the shifter in the console. Is that what you have in your pictures with a offset adapter? Is the extra cutting to clear for shifter movement or trans case clearance?

How does that adapter affect the shift "feel" does it give a weird movement or anything. My other thought was to get a '03-04 cobra tail housing and swap it in, it appears that will put you in the T56 Mag location...

I've owned this '68 for 30 years now and I want to minimize any butchering with this upgrade. It's got to look factory when it's done.

Thanks in advance.
All that extra cutting is from when I was an idiot teenager and decided a Super T-10 with the wrong shifter was the way to go. What you see in this picture is the effect of 4 different shifters from 4 different transmissions over a period of 20 years . In later pictures you'll notice I patched up most of those holes. You'll need to cut a little to allow for the vertical downwards movement of the offset bar, but not much.

I too was worried the shifter would feel funky, but it doesn't, it's actually the most crisp, best feeling shifter of any vehicle that I own. If you're going to relocate to the service cover, you'll have to modify it so that the cup is in the right place. My Trans was out of a 2010 camaro with a remote shifter setup, so that cup was already there.

I would get your tranny mounted, mount your center console and measure the hell out of where you need the shifter to be centered and go from there. I have this one centered so perfectly you can't really tell it's not a factory shifter when you're using it.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m0ondoggy
If you're going to relocate to the service cover, you'll have to modify it so that the cup is in the right place. My Trans was out of a 2010 camaro with a remote shifter setup, so that cup was already there.
Thanks for the info. I did go find your build thread and look at some of the other pics. Looks good. My challenge is to do it to a finished car... Not going to be as forgiving.

Keisler makes a kit to move it, but I think it would be cheaper to just get the part (shifter receptacle) from GM/Tremec since I would most likely not be using their shifter. The shifter you purchased seems nice as it sits fairly low and handles the adapter well.

I'm glad and surprised that the shifter doesn't feel weird. When you look at those things you just figure it is going to do some oddball movements. That is awesome news... That makes me rest a little easier.

One little thing we have in common, my '68 was also my first car. I waited for what seemed forever to find the car. It only had 58k mi on it when I bought it from the first owners son.

Quick Reply: 1968 Camaro LS3 & TR 6060 Conversion Question