Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a 4l80 crossmember for my 70 nova

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a th400 crossmember and the powerglide crossmember neither are close to what im needing.Did you read what im looking for ? Or do you not know how long a 4l80 is ?
You did not state which crossmember you had nor the plates. A simple search turns up PATC in about 5 minutes cost should be about $212 per the website.....note you may still have to do some fab work since every conversion is different but the member does look like it has a fair amount of adjustment to it......thank you very much
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L80E.htm
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Good mention Garry, I've seen those crossembers and like their design aethstetic. They are a nice piece with the only points against them that I can see is the price you mention (not too bad actually for a quality piece) and the fact that their geometry extends straight out off of the frame mounting surface and therefore doesn't provide the absolute highest possible ground clearance. If you want to acheive the kind of exhaust ground clearance you see in this photo, you're going to need a crossmember that arches up into the floor pockets of a 1st-gen like the new Hooker crossmember does.
Thanks for bringing that double hump idea for exhaust ground clearance , my eyes aren't what it used to be & I was planning on buying it for my Nova build so I would've been not to happy. If they did one up like Hooker dual hump , this would be the ultimate crossmember for all tranny. Thanks again , Garry
Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by garrysturbo
Thanks for bringing that double hump idea for exhaust ground clearance , my eyes aren't what it used to be & I was planning on buying it for my Nova build so I would've been not to happy. If they did one up like Hooker dual hump , this would be the ultimate crossmember for all tranny. Thanks again , Garry
You bet Gary. Since most crossmembers are designed by non-exhaust companies, their design geometry is rarely approached as a quest to maximize exhaust ground clearance as a primary design feature and it seems as though it's only been a secondary concern in most designs. If you design a crossmember to tuck up into the floor pocket like we have to maximize ground clearance, then by its nature it cannot be adjustable by any large degree because the floor pockets will only permit limited fore or aft movement once the crossmember is installed. I guess it's logical that a company like Hooker would put more effort into maximizing available room for exhaust routing than a company that does not design and produce headers and exhaust systems as part of their business.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since most crossmembers are designed by non-exhaust companies, their design geometry is rarely approached as a quest to maximize exhaust ground clearance as a primary design feature and it seems as though it's only been a secondary concern in most designs.
Tell me about it. Minimal modification necessary for the RaptorX crossmember...

Old 04-22-2014, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump from the dead, why not make your own?
It's what I am going to do now.
It's only metal, does anyone really care how nice a crossmember looks like under a car?
Budget guys don't care and ill be one of em.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Just food for thought. I'm currently in the process of installing Holley's 4l80e transmission crossmember in a 1967 camaro and the humps in the floor for clearance were not tall enough for clearance so I had to end up cutting the floor humps out and am currently in the process of fabbing custom covers. Just sharing my experience since they may not be bolt in friendly in every car.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by piratebaseball
Just food for thought. I'm currently in the process of installing Holley's 4l80e transmission crossmember in a 1967 camaro and the humps in the floor for clearance were not tall enough for clearance so I had to end up cutting the floor humps out and am currently in the process of fabbing custom covers. Just sharing my experience since they may not be bolt in friendly in every car.
Thanks for sharing your experience. For my knowledge, is the body of your car connected to your subframe with stock-height body bushings in good condition, or have your floors been replaced? You are the second person I've seen that has posted a report of not enough floor clearance over the top of the crossmember in the 3 years the Hooker 4L80 crossmember has been available and I would like to identify the source of the issue if possible.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an LSA/4l85 in a 69 Camaro with Street and performance plates on the motor. I used the G force cross member and it fit, the only problem is it hang pretty low and I had to make a spacer to make up the distance to the trans mount. If you aren't lowering the ride height it should be fine.

Here is what I have between my G Force cross member and the transmission mount. (That's a 2x4 on the flat) I could also use more room to keep the 4l85 lower in the tunnel. I need room for a connection on the drivers side.

Name:  IMG_06641_zpsc18ema5i.jpg
Views: 2010
Size:  40.3 KB
Old 05-22-2017, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

I have new solid aluminum body mount bushings that are stock size. I did replace the the floor pan with a one piece so that could be the issue if it was not stamped high enough. I have the cutoffs in the garage so I can measure the height if need be to try and help you out.

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Thanks for sharing your experience. For my knowledge, is the body of your car connected to your subframe with stock-height body bushings in good condition, or have your floors been replaced? You are the second person I've seen that has posted a report of not enough floor clearance over the top of the crossmember in the 3 years the Hooker 4L80 crossmember has been available and I would like to identify the source of the issue if possible.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by piratebaseball
I have new solid aluminum body mount bushings that are stock size. I did replace the the floor pan with a one piece so that could be the issue if it was not stamped high enough. I have the cutoffs in the garage so I can measure the height if need be to try and help you out.
I appreciate the follow-up. There could be a deviation in the pocket depth or with the base floor plane elevation itself, so it would be hard to pinpoint. I know there are multiple sources for replacement floors, so there's no practical way for me to compare the geometry between them all, or to the geometry of the stock floor, so I think the best assistance I can provide to future users of the crossmember is to make them aware of what they may encounter when used with replacement floors. I can do this relatively easily in the instructions and the web site listings.

I experienced a similar issue a few years with the Hooker exhaust system for the same application. The muffler hangers in the exhaust system attach to the oval shaped seat belt bolt gusset plates welded to the floor and the orientation of the oval gussets in aftermarket replacement floor in the users car were 180 degrees off from the factory position...that was a head-scratcher that took some time to figure out.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. Quick question for you, I have the headers from you guys as well designed to work with the system. You don't by chance make a 304 SS 3" pipe kit for the 67 that will work with the Ridetech G Bar 4 Link do you? The fuel tank is a Ricks Restomod that has the clipped corners for additional clearance.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

We designed the 3" Hooker system to be compatible with the stock leaf spring suspension only as the abundance of available aftermarket rear suspensions made it a difficult task for product management to decide which one(s)to provide compatibility with. I'd like to revisit that application again in the future and provide specific coverage for some of the aftermarket suspensions such as the Ridetech, but the ROI is a gamble.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may look on art morrison website. I ordered one of there double hump for their chassis. But it will require some welding but it was only a hundred.

Quick Reply: I need a 4l80 crossmember for my 70 nova