Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SHE LIVES.......Jeep Wrangler Comes to life....But

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHE LIVES.......Jeep Wrangler Comes to life....But

Finally after a year of part gathering and research she came to life yesterday at 5:15pm and it sounds perfect.

I installed a 2001 LS1 (5.7L) in a 1998 Jeep wranger with an adapter from NOVAK to include the NP231 transfer case, I got to admit it cost a lot more than i ever thought it would but worth every penny.

The "But" in the Title discription is about the inline fuel pump, I installed a Walbro inline after the stock in tank pump and then the corvette fuel pump/filter and then ran the 5/8 return line back to the tank from there and ran 3/8 fuel line all the way to the fuel rail with a fuel pressuer gauge on the end of the fuel rail

The Problem: It sounds like the Walbro pump is starving for fuel like it is pulsing, it also sounds like it is running dry and then becomes very loud , the fuel pressuer gauge will flucuate between 58psi and 55psi, so I pulled the relay for the inline and I am just running the in tank stock fuel pump that only pushes out 42psi.

Why is the inline pump starving for fuel? I was advised by several to install it this way. What can I do?

Thanks for all your help LS1TECH
I'll get some pics up later this week

Thanks
Steve S.
Michigan
Old 05-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem with my Walbro in line pump, but I didn't run a boost pump like you did, just hooked the pump to the bottom of the tank sump.

The Walbro got so bad I could hear the pump howl over the headers and the twin Spal fans. The inlet filter between the tank and the pump was so severly clogged from debris from the fuel tank that the pump cavitated. I cleaned it out and the noise abated for a while but evidently the damage was already done and the pump wouldn't put out full pressure anymore. I limped back home, unable to make any significant power out of the motor.

Have you thought about putting a pressure gauge at the suction side of the Walbro? Do you have an inlet filter that could be clogged?

On the other side of the equation, is there a possiblity the the Walbro won't pump with that much pressure on the suction side?

I bought another pump from this guy-

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/

He seems pretty knowlegable about the Walbro pumps. You might ask him your questions.

Phil

Originally Posted by Flyman
Finally after a year of part gathering and research she came to life yesterday at 5:15pm and it sounds perfect.

I installed a 2001 LS1 (5.7L) in a 1998 Jeep wranger with an adapter from NOVAK to include the NP231 transfer case, I got to admit it cost a lot more than i ever thought it would but worth every penny.

The "But" in the Title discription is about the inline fuel pump, I installed a Walbro inline after the stock in tank pump and then the corvette fuel pump/filter and then ran the 5/8 return line back to the tank from there and ran 3/8 fuel line all the way to the fuel rail with a fuel pressuer gauge on the end of the fuel rail

The Problem: It sounds like the Walbro pump is starving for fuel like it is pulsing, it also sounds like it is running dry and then becomes very loud , the fuel pressuer gauge will flucuate between 58psi and 55psi, so I pulled the relay for the inline and I am just running the in tank stock fuel pump that only pushes out 42psi.

Why is the inline pump starving for fuel? I was advised by several to install it this way. What can I do?

Thanks for all your help LS1TECH
I'll get some pics up later this week

Thanks
Steve S.
Michigan
Old 05-03-2004, 04:03 PM
9 Second Club

Lets See Some Pics Of That Jeep !!
Old 05-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

I'll try to get some pics out later this week

The system is clean, I'm sure it's not a clogging problem.

Can anyone help me

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-05-2004, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Congratulations on the swap!!!!
I went with the Walbro 340 in Tank pump,,,, and It's loud. After about an hour driving I pulled over and thought I was going to have to take it a part it was so loud..

Good luck
LM
79 LS1 CJ5

Quick Reply: SHE LIVES.......Jeep Wrangler Comes to life....But