Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TKO 600 / QuickTime / LS/ pilot bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if you got your answer, but I am running TKO 600 with a Kiesler bell and LS7 clutch/flywheel on my LS2 motor. The LS7 pilot bearing has been working fine for 5 years now. I don't remember measuring engagement specifically but didn't notice anything that look bad the multiple times I mocked up the trans and motor outside the car.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iam running ford t-5 with quicktime ls to ford bell and ls7 pilot bearing and it been running fine had to use 96-04 clutch fork witch is almost impossible to find right now since ford stopped producing them.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Teching In

I did a LS2 in a 71 nova a few years back with a TKO 600 using a LS7 pilot and a Novak adapters adjustable throwout bearing on factory fork and slightly modified factory mechanical linkage. It has held up great so far.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well...The answer is neither. I bought an LS7 pilot bearing and took some measurements. The input shaft would bottom out with the LS7 bearing. The correct answer was to leave the F-body bushing partially out (Not flush with the crank).
Old 01-28-2014, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Is that the final answer? Everything I've read says to use the LS7 bearing. I bought the McLeod extended bushing, but it looks like they changed it. It is now an oilite bushing with a small roller bearing pressed into the center of it... weird.

I'm installing an LS3, TKO 600, and quicktime bellhousing. At this point, no idea which to use: the small bushing/bearing slightly extended (not flush in the crank), the McLeod bushing/bearing adapter, or the LS7 bearing.

Also, the McLeod bushing has an overall O.D. smaller than the LS7 bearing.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,406 Likes on 887 Posts

Guys....this thread is nuts.

First of all, Quicktime makes different bellhousings, so you have to know the depth. Second, all of this guess work is not necessary. Just bolt the bellhousing to the block, make sure there is no flywheel or clutch installed, then bolt up the transmission, and see what's up...

This isn't rocket surgery...

Andrew
Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO

First of all, Quicktime makes different bellhousings, so you have to know the depth. Second, all of this guess work is not necessary. Just bolt the bellhousing to the block, make sure there is no flywheel or clutch installed, then bolt up the transmission, and see what's up...

Andrew
I hear ya, but some people may not have all their parts yet, or may be looking for specific missing pieces to get it put together...
Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for that poignant answer...

Nope, it isn't rocket surgery, just curious of other folks' findings and results. Really don't feel like installing and pulling bearings until a correct combination is found. Would rather start off with one that has been most successful. Of course, still need to check and verify.

Anyway, I'm using the QuickTime housing made to mount an older style trans to an LS, McLeod flywheel that makes up for the .4" difference in LS crank length, McLeod dual friction clutch, and etc.

Spoke with McLeod today. They have a new design bushing/bearing combo. Its an oilite bushing with the small gm bearing pressed into the center which they claim will further press itself into the bushing to give the correct position on input shaft. Hmmm. Curious how that will work. If it is loose enough for the bearing to move inside the bushing, what's to keep it from spinning inside the bushing and eventually falling out into the crank recess... I ordered both the McLeod setup and the LS7 bearing. Going to take measurements and see what's what.

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO

Andrew
Old 01-29-2014, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Everyone uses slightly different combination. Even my Keisler 621 LS bell was longer than the generic 621 repop I bought for my second swap.
If Quicktime cant tell you what combo works, you're best off figuring it out. All I did was use a strait edge and measured.
If you want to add your combo to this thread, please do. Might help the next guy.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls-motor.html
Old 01-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Teching In

I don't know if anyone else is checking this. But I ran a tko600 behind my ls2 and used a Lakewood blow proof scatter shield (for the old sbc motors) I had to use the .250 extended pilot bearing and had to use a flywheel out of a 2500 silverado with a standard transmission. I had to use a truck flywheel because my bell housing pushed the trans back from the crank shaft farther than on a regular sbc and the clutch was not on the splines of the input shaft enough so the thicker flywheel made the difference up and the extended pilot bearing worked. But this is because I used the blow proof bell housing from an old sbc, everything bolted up fine but no top bolt in bell housing.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Well, my McCleod adapter bushing and GM LS7 bearing (PN: 12557583). The McLeod unit is a bushing with the old style pilot bearing pressed into the center. I liked this idea because the LS7 bearing has an inside diameter of .829 and the McLeod ID is .592 which is perfect for a TKO pilot shaft. Although many people use the LS7 bearing, there have been issues with slop and premature wearing of pilot shafts, input shaft bearing, and etc. From what I've read, TKOs need to have a tightly supported input shaft.

So, I was hopeful when the McLeod adapter (PN 8617) showed up. However, it is supposed to have an OD of 1.709 which is very, very similar to the OD of the LS7 bearing of 1.704. Comparing the two, it is clearly evident that the McLeod bushing/bearing is much smaller than the LS7 bearing. So, I measured it. The OD measures out to be 1.59". So I called McLeod. They said no way it should be exactly the same OD as the LS7 bearing. So, I ordered another one; this time from Summit. Same thing. Calling them tomorrow. McLeod told me they just started selling this bushing/bearing combo (used to be a full bushing). My guess is that they have a bad batch out there. It does not seat in the crankshaft. It just flops in there. Definitely not the right size.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Something is off. I can assure you my pilot bearings and GatTagOs pilot bearings were just over the 0.59" input shaft diameter. Any trans would be torn up immediately with a .829 ID bearing.

Originally Posted by cgocifer
Well, my McCleod adapter bushing and GM LS7 bearing (PN: 12557583). The McLeod unit is a bushing with the old style pilot bearing pressed into the center. I liked this idea because the LS7 bearing has an inside diameter of .829 and the McLeod ID is .592 which is perfect for a TKO pilot shaft. Although many people use the LS7 bearing, there have been issues with slop and premature wearing of pilot shafts, input shaft bearing, and etc. From what I've read, TKOs need to have a tightly supported input shaft.

So, I was hopeful when the McLeod adapter (PN 8617) showed up. However, it is supposed to have an OD of 1.709 which is very, very similar to the OD of the LS7 bearing of 1.704. Comparing the two, it is clearly evident that the McLeod bushing/bearing is much smaller than the LS7 bearing. So, I measured it. The OD measures out to be 1.59". So I called McLeod. They said no way it should be exactly the same OD as the LS7 bearing. So, I ordered another one; this time from Summit. Same thing. Calling them tomorrow. McLeod told me they just started selling this bushing/bearing combo (used to be a full bushing). My guess is that they have a bad batch out there. It does not seat in the crankshaft. It just flops in there. Definitely not the right size.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:02 PM
Teching In

That ID is even listed in GMs tech data sheet for the LS 3/7 bearing. .829
Old 01-31-2014, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Apparently the newer transmissions tolerate more clearance and this allows for some slight misalignment or lack of trueness on the assembly line... What a GM tech told me at GMPP.

What? LOL
Old 02-01-2014, 12:28 AM
TECH Junkie

No wonder GM went bankrupt.

Originally Posted by cgocifer
Apparently the newer transmissions tolerate more clearance and this allows for some slight misalignment or lack of trueness on the assembly line... What a GM tech told me at GMPP.

What? LOL

Quick Reply: TKO 600 / QuickTime / LS/ pilot bearing?