Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BoostinIX's Build - LS3 S14.5

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered new spark plugs, alternator, clutch, flywheel, and in-bay brake lines. Also got the cluster done....finally. Issue was how little light both the OEM bulbs and the cheapie LEDs put out

After trying to get LED's soldered into the t5/t6.5 base (Which destroyed the bases), tried an OTS backup.

Problem 1: Too big for base. Easily fixed.

Problem 2: LED is too big to fit through T5 hole. Solution: Put in from the inside.

Yaaaaaaaaaaay it works

Problem 3: Acrylic cover standoff diffusers are too long to fit with these LEDs. 5 minutes with the dremel took care of that.

Final result: I can actually see my cluster.

Gave me a chance to power up the gauges, which worked also. Wooooo
Old 02-20-2014, 04:22 AM
Teching In

S15 cluster looks awesome!
Old 02-20-2014, 05:34 AM
On The Tree

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Ordered:

ARP Clutch/Flywheel bolts, pilot bearing, spark plug wires, steam port kit
Old 03-04-2014, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

Small update.

Made my first AN lines today. Steam port kit is a pain to fit, but it'll work. Crossover came out nice.

Got the last of my fuel setup figured out, MAF came in so I can start making the intake. Got the Turn-One PS pump on the way, new alternator installed. (Both with baller blasted T-Nasty brackets) . Secured a Braille B2015 from my neighbor for cheap, and arranging the Mishimoto goodies to be on the way. Dropped off the PCM for the startup tune.

Car goes up the driveway and motor install ~15th. Also the day I order the last of the things to make it start

Close.

Z32 fuel filter and coil pack harnesses arrived. Also ordered injectors and the last adapter harnesses.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

Any reason why you are running a seperate fuel filter and regulator vs the corvette unit that does both? I ran a seperate filter/reg on my s13 and the return line got so damn hot that the fuel pump would stop working and the car would shut off. I think pstlpete (or the dude that did the Erod kit for cali then moved) on Zilvia had the same problem. I'm switching to the vette combo unit and mounting it in the back so on the feed line runs towards the motor and the return line is short and as cool as possible. Just something to think about since the vette combo already is at the correct psi etc. And with two pipes, and a tight tunnel **** gets hot quick.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:04 AM
On The Tree

I upgraded to bigger injectors, and wanted the adjustable FPR to go with them. I'm keeping the stock hardlines from the tank to the firewall as well. I'll mention the heat to John next time I'm at Sikky and see what he says. If anything, it wouldn't be hard to put some heat protection on the line near the header.

Thanks for the heads up
Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

^^^Thats what a few of the local LS swapped guys did. The bought the heat protection material from Summit and covered the lines in the engine bay except the crossover line.

Seriously on the edge of my seat waiting for you to finish lol.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

Maybe I missed something (or just know nothing about LS3 stuff), but is that throttle cable bracket standard LS3 equip (I'm assuming that's just an OE LS3 intake), NW part, or something else? It looks like its attached to a spacer between the intake and TB...
Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

I bought it on here when I bought the NW92, as far as I know it's a nick williams/nick williams copy. It bolts to the top of the NW throttle body, there's a hole above the intake. (Not a spacer).

Def not LS3 standard, since LS3 was DBW.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Ok, I thought LS2+ was DBW, but just wanted to make sure. It looks like this is the one:

Link for anyone else interested: NW Throttle Cable Bracket

I have the same fuel rails, does this bracket have any clearance issues with the rail/crossover line?
Old 03-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

nice build man, i miss my ls1 s14, should have never sold it, buy building a ls1 350z now, good luck with your build man!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Thanks!

Small update. TurnOne PS Pump courtesy of my friend Chris at Speedparts.biz. Noms.

Also went to Mishimoto HQ today to help drop this off:

Local R&D ftw. Place is kinda neat. Squared away my cooling setup while I was there.

Injectors will go in tomorrow.

To make the local 240 BBQ, changed up the build list a little, should be very doable at this point.

1 week and it goes in.

And for you brutalis:

I sanded a little away where it was just too close to the intake manifold for my taste, but no issues on my fuel setup. Note: I have the spacer kit to use the longer LS1 injectors. I can see it being possible if you did the standard ones.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Thanks!

Small update. TurnOne PS Pump courtesy of my friend Chris at Speedparts.biz. Noms.

Also went to Mishimoto HQ today to help drop this off:

Local R&D ftw. Place is kinda neat. Squared away my cooling setup while I was there.

Injectors will go in tomorrow.

To make the local 240 BBQ, changed up the build list a little, should be very doable at this point.

1 week and it goes in.

And for you brutalis:

I sanded a little away where it was just too close to the intake manifold for my taste, but no issues on my fuel setup. Note: I have the spacer kit to use the longer LS1 injectors. I can see interference being possible on shorties. Also the LS1 MAP itself cleared, but the connector would've been super tight so I just trimmed it.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, looks good. I've got a Typhoon intake and TB (LS1-style), so I'm obviously using the LS1 injectors. The Typhoon isn't particularly well-engineered (there's not a place for the TC bracket), so I had to modify the stock bracket, flip it upside down, and tap into the side of the intake. Got it all put together last night and I need to modify the bracket some more to get it to fit. The problem is the "gearbox" on the throttle body - the blade opens reverse from most (bottom inward, which as I recall is better for off-idle flow), but that pushes the cam farther outboard than most.

Anyway, reason I was curious about yours is I've been thinking of switching to an LS2/NW92 combo to cut some weight and make things easier. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brutalis
Thanks, looks good. I've got a Typhoon intake and TB (LS1-style), so I'm obviously using the LS1 injectors. The Typhoon isn't particularly well-engineered (there's not a place for the TC bracket), so I had to modify the stock bracket, flip it upside down, and tap into the side of the intake. Got it all put together last night and I need to modify the bracket some more to get it to fit. The problem is the "gearbox" on the throttle body - the blade opens reverse from most (bottom inward, which as I recall is better for off-idle flow), but that pushes the cam farther outboard than most.
Anyway, reason I was curious about yours is I've been thinking of switching to an LS2/NW92 combo to cut some weight and make things easier. Thanks for the info.
I'm in the same boat man. I'm running the typhoon 96mm with their 101mm TB on my lq9s2. That throttle **** sticking out the side that far is annoying to say the least. I'm fabing up a bracket, a big L basically, to make it work bolting to the two side holes where the stock bracket would have gone. Keep trying to talk myself out of a nw 102 since I already have this 101.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

This thing is sick nasty! I love me a good S14.5!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I miss building my LS240, so much excitment, now I just **** my pants when I drive it
Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
I miss building my LS240, so much excitement, now I just **** my pants when I drive it
Well.... that's not such a bad thing.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by niscur29
I'm in the same boat man. I'm running the typhoon 96mm with their 101mm TB on my lq9s2. That throttle **** sticking out the side that far is annoying to say the least. I'm fabing up a bracket, a big L basically, to make it work bolting to the two side holes where the stock bracket would have gone. Keep trying to talk myself out of a nw 102 since I already have this 101.
What I've done is just trim a bunch of material off the stock bracket, flip it over, and mount to (I think) the same place you're talking about using a couple ~1" standoffs. PM me if you want some pics, don't need to any more haha

Quick Reply: BoostinIX's Build - LS3 S14.5