Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Summit Racing
Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool build! would love to have an old burb like this!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks! Hoping to be done soon...the goal is to have modern drive ability and performance without loosing any of the old school feel of the truck
Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Awesome build I love those trucks, my dad had a 71 suburban for 15 years growing up we took that thing everywhere about 8 years after selling it I found it in a local car show in the same shape as it was when sold. . . Decent with no rockers left. Good luck with the rest of the build.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Making some progress....

Got the entire fuel system plumbed up to the carb. I ran a 6AN line off the factory sending unit to a 110 gph Mallory electric pump, then through a Russell filter and up to a Mallory return style regulator mounted on the fire wall (below). The return line is 4AN running from the bottom of the regulator back to the factory sending unit. The directions with the regulator said to ensure the return line is at least the same size as the pressure line, but the factory return line was one size smaller than the factory pressure line, so I think it should be ok for my relatively stock motor.

Also got the Thorley headers installed. This was the only set that would work with my CPP motor mounts. They slip right in and the nice part is that because they are designed to clear the CPP mounts, there is a ton of room below the headers so getting to the starter and routing the trans cooler lines was fairly painless. I am going to have to use a Lokar shift linkage for the factory column shift because the headers interfere with the factory shift linkage location. (sorry for the crummy pics).

Also got the trans cooler lines run to the Entropy radiator and the Summit Racing overflow tank mounted to the core support.

Now for the issues. Ive tried using the Detroit Speed power steering lines for these steering boxes, along with the fitting for the Corvette power steering pump that Im running. For starters, had to clearance the inner wheel well cover to make room for the fittings on the steering box......

Then, the fitting on the pump side doesnt have enough clearance between the pump and the pulley....

So now Im a bit stuck. I thought the Russel fitting for the pump was the shortest one on the market, but as you can see, when fully seated, it still sticks out by a good 2-3 threads. Im wondering if it was a bit shorter, the head of the 90 degree fitting would actually fit inside the lip of the pulley when fully seated.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Making some progress....

Got the entire fuel system plumbed up to the carb. I ran a 6AN line off the factory sending unit to a 110 gph Mallory electric pump, then through a Russell filter and up to a Mallory return style regulator mounted on the fire wall (below). The return line is 4AN running from the bottom of the regulator back to the factory sending unit. The directions with the regulator said to ensure the return line is at least the same size as the pressure line, but the factory return line was one size smaller than the factory pressure line, so I think it should be ok for my relatively stock motor.

Also got the Thorley headers installed. This was the only set that would work with my CPP motor mounts. They slip right in and the nice part is that because they are designed to clear the CPP mounts, there is a ton of room below the headers so getting to the starter and routing the trans cooler lines was fairly painless. I am going to have to use a Lokar shift linkage for the factory column shift because the headers interfere with the factory shift linkage location. (sorry for the crummy pics).

Also got the trans cooler lines run to the Entropy radiator and the Summit Racing overflow tank mounted to the core support.

Now for the issues. Ive tried using the Detroit Speed power steering lines for these steering boxes, along with the fitting for the Corvette power steering pump that Im running. For starters, had to clearance the inner wheel well cover to make room for the fittings on the steering box......

Then, the fitting on the pump side doesnt have enough clearance between the pump and the pulley....

So now Im a bit stuck. I thought the Russel fitting for the pump was the shortest one on the market, but as you can see, when fully seated, it still sticks out by a good 2-3 threads. Im wondering if it was a bit shorter, the head of the 90 degree fitting would actually fit inside the lip of the pulley when fully seated.
Can't you get a Russell fitting that will place this factory fitting?
Attached Thumbnails 1972 C20 Suburban LS1 4L60E-corvette-pump.jpg  
Old 11-24-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm....that I dont know....the pump came with that already installed. Anyone have a part number? Or does anyone know the thread size if that fitting from the factory is removed?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Hmmm....that I dont know....the pump came with that already installed. Anyone have a part number? Or does anyone know the thread size if that fitting from the factory is removed?
I "think" it's an 18 or 20 mm, but I'm not sure.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, the pumps out of the car, may go down to the garage and back that fitting out and see....the Patriots game is painful to watch at the moment....
Old 11-24-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Well, the pumps out of the car, may go down to the garage and back that fitting out and see....the Patriots game is painful to watch at the moment....
LOL, roger that. What tranny mount did you use?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

BRP Hot Rods....I originally purchased their motor mounts and trans mount as a set....turns out the motor mounts didnt work with the heavy duty '72 only perches so I ditched that idea and went with the CPP mounts to replace the whole assembly. The trans mount is a very nice piece, and actually bolted up perfectly to the holes already in the frame. I still need to list the motor mounts for sale.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 209 Posts

I think flaming river makes this "extender"...

Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh, wow, hadnt seen anything like that....thanks
Old 11-25-2013, 06:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CattleAc
I think flaming river makes this "extender"...

Good call!!

oh, wow, hadn't seen anything like that....thanks
Here you go:

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.ph...4/s0008/FR1634

I would call Summit and see if they have it. If they do, it will probably be cheaper.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Some more progress tonight while waiting for the power steering line fitting to arrive. I finally got the vintage AC mounted under the dash and started measuring the lines to take them over to NAPA to have the hoses cut and the fittings crimped on. Unfortunately, as I was mocking everything up, I realized that at some point in the packaging/shipping process, the compressor had been dropped and dented one of the fittings. Fortunately, I called Summit Racing, and they got a new one in the mail to me TONIGHT (at no cost to me)!! The sales rep told me to box the old one back up, and leave it on my doorstep Wednesday morning and UPS would pick it up. Got the tracking number for the new piece in my email tonight....now thats service!!!

In the mean time, I started mounting the coils and running the spark plug wires. The orientation of the Thorley headers resulted in some interesting routing. The drivers side was nice and clean, with all the wires dropping out the bottom and running forward to the coils mounted on the cross bar in front of the motor. On the passenger side, two of the wires drop out the bottom, and two had to come out in a more conventional orientation. Im going to wrap those two in some left over black wire loom so that they wont stick out like soar thumbs. They're also routed up the frame rail to the coils mounted up front.

I also got started on the new stereo. Got the head unit mounted because that is the piece that sits highest in the dash. Ive got a small amp that will be mounted under the front seat with two speakers in front kick panels and two speakers that will be mounted under the rear seats. Nothing extravagant, but it should be a decent sounding upgrade without taking away from the look or feel of the factory interior.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

Default Power steering fitting

If the one you ordered doesn't work, order the one from detroit speed. After researching the same topic I ended up buying theirs, it worked perfectly. My pump was from a 99 corvette.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JonRagTop
If the one you ordered doesn't work, order the one from detroit speed. After researching the same topic I ended up buying theirs, it worked perfectly. My pump was from a 99 corvette.
Haha...good, thats the one I ordered last night before the above fitting was posted....hopefully it works
Old 11-26-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

Haha...good, thats the one I ordered last night before the above fitting was posted....hopefully it works
Part #?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

090401....$18....I ordered it sunday, showed up today....fits perfectly.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Sweet!

Quick Reply: 1972 C20 Suburban LS1 4L60E