Sponsored by:

Holley LS oil pan hitting frame - Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
Sweet !~

All I have to do now is get an iPhone LOL...
Step-up bczee and treat yourself. I've found that the manual magnetic angle finders leave much to be disired in their build quality and accuracy, which leads to having to take multiple repetitive readings to arrive at something you trust. They also all feature 1 degree graduations, so their resolution is poor when you're trying to hit something within half a degree. Of course we are totally nuts here and will set up a digital FARO arm to capture the underside geometry of a car with accuracy within .005". Yes, we are insane.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I'm really hoping I don't have to do any crossmember work. Will the car still be driveable with some driveline angle?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 406chvycamaro
Thanks. I'm really hoping I don't have to do any crossmember work. Will the car still be driveable with some driveline angle?
Of course, many cars are driving around that way. The engine inclination angle is only inportant as to how it relates to your U-joint working angles and its relationship to the pinion angle. The engine itself would run at 20degrees down angle but that's not the issue. The rule of thumb is to have your engine angle match the pinion within half a degree and have U-joint working angles be at least half a degree and no more than 3 degrees to ensure long U-joint life and lessen the chance for premature and/or catastrophic failure. You also can and will experience severe driveline vibrations if you get these angles too far out of whack. The other problem you face is the difficultly of changing pinions angles on factory leaf spring cars, which can sometimes be a real chore with limited adjustment possible through using tappered shims.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Step-up bczee and treat yourself.
Haha.. .Yeah. .one of these days.. but I was able to find the app for my Andriod Xoom tablet.. Will check it out.

BC
Old 09-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Launching!

My car is sitting on ladder bar rear suspension. So would I just match my pinion angle to engine angle?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 406chvycamaro
My car is sitting on ladder bar rear suspension. So would I just match my pinion angle to engine angle?
You can certainly begin there and then check your U-joint working angles. One other thing, if your car is set-up to be a drag car then you can get by with a few more degrees of pinion down angle on a leaf spring car to compensate for spring wrap on acceleration. Since you mention that you have ladder bars, you won't have to be concerned with that issue to such a high degree.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Alright thanks I appreciate the help
Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

I just posted up a few install photos of the new oil pan in a 1st-gen F-body in the oil pan sticky thread for you guys that are interested in seeing them.

Quick Reply: Holley LS oil pan hitting frame - Help