Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Officer Mikeys Clean Twin Turbo LS1 FD Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So its been awhile but I'm hitting the car hard again and I figured I'd updated these old threads. Last winter I was working hard on purchasing a house and moving. Eventually I bought a new house. Then moved all my cars over to the new house. Purchased and Evo and enjoyed the summer. There really wasn't a point in working on the FD during the short spurt of beautiful weather here in the Pacific northwest. This winter came and I've been working on the car and saving money. It hasn't been moving very fast but I've been hitting it hard recently to hopefully get the car on the road for this summer. So at this point I purchased a set of GTX3076Rs but before all the engine fun can begin I've been working on the body work and what not.

I stripped the entire car because it had anywhere from 5 to 8 paint jobs on it. Etch primed it and then primed the car. I prepped the quarter panels for the over fenders. Decided to use body panel adhesive in stead of the tradition rivet method. I filled the cracks with flexible body filler and blended the bottom to the car. Then reprimed the quarters. Fiberglass aftermarket parts are an S ton of work. The front fenders still need a lot of work at this point but I've knocked out a bunch of it. The front kouki bumper is getting the license plate shaved. The engine bay is ready for seam seal but I'm trying to get the rest of the body ready to prime first too. I decided to weld back on the front core support pieces instead of the bolt on set up I had before. So that needs to be finished sanded and etch primed then primed too. Thats pretty much where the car is at at this point. I'm trying to get the body atleast reprimed one more time before it goes over to Jason to start paint work. Obviously I'll start cutting in the doors, jams, and hood at the point. Need to pick up paint and what not but I've been so busy with long work days these past couple weeks. It sucks not being able to work on the car but the job is a prevailing wage job and I'm making a lot of money. It'll be over here soon and I'll have enough money for engine parts and i'll take a week off and catch up on the body work.

Last edited by dgfab; 03-14-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Last edited by dgfab; 03-14-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Last edited by dgfab; 03-14-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:57 PM
Teching In

imgs fixed
Old 03-15-2015, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great attention to detail, it's going to set this car apart. When my children are a bit more "self sufficient" I hope to have the patience and time to do a build like this. It's inspirational to see your work. I'm anxious to see what you do with the front plate mount.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome project, attention to detail is what separates the best from the rest!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Ive been sanding for so long that I needed a break. I also came to the conclusion that I want to try and get the engine off to the machine shop so that I can time having the engine ready to go back in as soon as paint is done.

I took a risk at buying a cheap Ls1 from a wrecking yard. The yard described the noises it was making before they pulled it and it sounded like piston slap. The price was right and I decided to take the risk since I planned on putting pistons and rods in it anyway. So I got the engine apart and I couldn't be happier. Everything looks great. Cylinder walls have no damage and no ridges at the top or bottom. Crank is in great shape. Everything was in great shape. So soon as I can get over to the machine shop I'll have them look everything over and get some parts coming.

I also purchased color today a long with a few other things. So back to sanding the rest of this weekend.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:09 PM
Teching In

What front bumper did you go with and how was the fit? Here is my engine bay after some filling and painting....

Quick Reply: Officer Mikeys Clean Twin Turbo LS1 FD Build