Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completed LS3 Powered 1967 Volvo 122 Amazon (Pics/Video)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

freaking amazing
Old 10-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Teching In

I did a quick edit on the GoPro video's with the GoPro editor program, so here it is. I will have some 1/4 mile track video, along with the 2.5 mile road course video's coming soon, but I wanted to practice up a bit.. LOL

Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Here are some details on the Gearing of this car, and I am taking to a Test and Tune day at a local drag strip to get some 1/4 mile comparison times, so does anyone have any guess on what the outcome will be? I am running it on Street Tires (B.F. Goodrich G-Force 265/35/18's), and they seem to grip very well, but I will not have no where near the grip a set of slicks would have. I am wanting a comparison to the modern production cars so people can get a better idea of what the numbers mean, so I wanted to keep street tires instead of slicks for that reason.

I have some local drag guys that say that I will be lucky to break a 12.5 sec 1/4 mile, and that is due to the Power/Weight Ratio, Standard Transmission Option (Clutching Skills), and tire option and width, but a few of them said it would more than likely be at a higher top speed than the typical 12.5 sec time, because I will be able to make up some ground for top speed after the grip kicks in. This all speculation for sure, and I wonder if anyone might have some guesses as to what they think the time and speed will be.. I will say that I have honestly never been on a 1/4 mile track, so that will have a definite factor in the time, so you might take that into consideration.. I have done all the typical street hot rodding over the years, but I am sure there are some definite differences..

Less than 2600lbs
Engine RPM 6800
Axle Ratio 3.50
Tire Height 25.3in

1st Gear 2.87 MPH 50.95
2nd Gear 1.89 MPH 77.37
3rd Gear 1.28 MPH 114.25
4th Gear 1.00 MPH 146.23
5th Gear .82 MPH 178.33

Last edited by Swedishops; 10-31-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you will definitely be in the 12's. Driving on a 1/4 mile track is tricky. I found it to be a lot more difficult than the street. You get pretty nervous which makes it hard to launch just right. The tree is tough as well. The track surface is so much different than the street and takes some getting used to. The worst is if you wear a helmet IMO. Because then it's hard to hear everything as well.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Followed your work over on Turbobricks,
Me too. How come you never finished the build thread there? It was just getting good then you disappeared. Wasn't your ID Iamtheonlyreal1?

There's been ALOT of people over there from Russia to Australia to Canada who sent thousands of USD's your way for these beautiful setups then heard nothing. We all want one. What gives?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LSLvr777
Me too. How come you never finished the build thread there? It was just getting good then you disappeared. Wasn't your ID Iamtheonlyreal1?

There's been ALOT of people over there from Russia to Australia to Canada who sent thousands of USD's your way for these beautiful setups then heard nothing. We all want one. What gives?
Couldn't have been me. I never registered there, just read the posts...
Old 11-01-2013, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The op's ID was Iamtheonlyreal1. I go on there from time to time (turbobricks and swedespeed) and was following his build.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With that power to weight ratio you should be in the tens and well over 120mph. However traction and driving skills will play a big part in this.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, VERY cool. I really like the look of that white one too. Honestly, I didn't even think about there being "classic" Volvos. When I think about old Volvos I picture the ones from the 80s with the crazy looking headrests. My mind has been opened.

Great work, by the way.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:44 AM
11 Second Club

Very nice build.. Im sure that car would run a low 12 sec. pass with Slicks or Drag Radials.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Teching In

I took the car to the drag strip, and I am very disappointed in the performance of the tires on the track. I am running a B.F. Goodrich G-force performance tire, and I thought it would be one of the better street tires to run due to being used on a lot of autocross cars, but not in this case at all.. LOL Track conditions were not the best either, so I had to start the car off in 2nd gear and slip the clutch while trying maintain traction, and I basically broke the tires loose all the way down the track to about the last 75 yards of the 1/4 mile. I was running a horrible 60ft time and 1/8 mile, but some how still did 110mph at a horrible 13.7sec in the 1/4 consistently at this track. Even though it was like driving on ice the whole way, the car stayed straight and stable the whole time, and there wasn't any wrangling the car to go straight at all. I will say the McCloud Clutch held up very well, and I got that clutch so hot that it actually had heated up the Dot4 fluid enough to expand and tighten up my clutch pedal to where I had absolutely now slack at the top.. LOL

I took the car to another track/show the next day, and the track was in a much better condition, but they only run an 1/8 mile there. The tires still didn't work there, so I still had to continue starting in 2nd gear and slipping the clutch, and was running a consistent 8.3 sec at 90-92 mph. These tires work great on real pavement, and I was a bit surprised with the performance on the drag strip, but I absolutely didn't have any of the launch I am getting on the public streets.

Here is a video below, and I hope it demonstrates some of what I am talking about with the wheel spin and driving on ice, and you can really see that in the 2nd frame of the 1st video before staging, because the two times I tapped the throttle with No Brake, the tires broke loose and I hit the rev limiter instantly.. Before anyone starts talking about too much horsepower is the issue here, I can honestly tell you that isn't the case on the regular streets, so I will have to do a bit more tire research for drag racing. I was really not wanting to get a set of performance slicks, because I wanted to do all my testing and setup with street tires for comparison reasons, but I suppose new car manufactures have perfect street conditions and private tracks.. I will say that the 2nd day on a better track, I was kicking the hell out of the new V8 Camaro's/Mustangs on a level playing field, because they were breaking loose as bad as my car was.. LOL

I do apologize for the video, because it seems the person I let have the camera didn't know the best way to do it.. LOL I did about 12 runs that night, and this was all I was able to salvage out of the footage.. This was just an initial trial, and the better coverage will be done during the day for better quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC9QUVFMOt4

This is the car taking off on the public highway, and you can see that I don't have the slipping problem I had on the strip, and all I had to do here is manage the throttle to get better results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE7XEqnS-tA
Old 11-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Here are a few video's of Volvo X on a 2.5 mile road course, and I will have to work on the camera positions just a bit more the next time.. For the first initial run on Daily Driver capable settings the car did absolutely great, and with a bit more camber and a sway bar that is about 30 percent larger in diameter than the IPD bar I have on there now, the car should do much better.

During this track session we are doing this 2.5 mile course at 2min 13-15sec pretty consistently and at 135-140mph on the longer straight sections, and that was basically lugging the car around a bit in 3rd gear most of the time rather than pushing the rev's of 2nd gear.. If you watch the video's a bit, you will find that the car is rarely near the 6800 rev limiter, and not heavy throttled at all off the turns because the car would break loose in 3rd due to the power. I will have to check with Wilwood to see if they have a bit more bit brake pads, because it seemed that we were quickly overrunning the brakes coming off the long stretches, so we did lose some more overall max speed potential due to having to keep the speed down for the brakes not to be overrun.

The preliminary idea for setup on the next session is to stiffen the front spring setting just a hair and see about getting more of a performance sway bar than is offered for these cars, along with a more performance/track alignment. Keep in mind that I have this car setup for daily driver also, and the car was driven over an hour each way to get to the track and back, so this is more of a neutral setting at this time. We can still play with the coil over Dampening and Rebound settings a bit more on the next session, but I wanted to get some hard runs for our base setting, and then see what we can do to adjust it to a more track friendly setting later. My driver is thinking that we can get the car down to about a 2:05 minute track time with a few setting changes and a better front sway bar, and that will be on street tires also, so times can get even better if I were to tune the car for strictly track use.

For the people that wondered about my intake system using the cowl vent was going to have a negative air pressure issue at high speeds, I think the wiper arms tell the tale.. I guess the wipers for these cars were not made for this type of activity.. LOL

Name:  track1_zps2f73ea32.jpg
Views: 4394
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  track15_zps0d3d82f0.jpg
Views: 3412
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  track16_zps72da35ae.jpg
Views: 3408
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  track17_zps1cd689e0.jpg
Views: 3533
Size:  48.9 KB

Name:  track7_zps29f17975.jpg
Views: 3449
Size:  53.8 KB
Old 11-19-2013, 12:01 AM
9 Second Club

This is a truly bad *** car. i would like to build a wagon one day.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Absolutely beautiful.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesomeness.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swedishops
Here are a few video's of Volvo X on a 2.5 mile road course, and I will have to work on the camera positions just a bit more the next time.. For the first initial run on Daily Driver capable settings the car did absolutely great, and with a bit more camber and a sway bar that is about 30 percent larger in diameter than the IPD bar I have on there now, the car should do much better.

During this track session we are doing this 2.5 mile course at 2min 13-15sec pretty consistently and at 135-140mph on the longer straight sections, and that was basically lugging the car around a bit in 3rd gear most of the time rather than pushing the rev's of 2nd gear.. If you watch the video's a bit, you will find that the car is rarely near the 6800 rev limiter, and not heavy throttled at all off the turns because the car would break loose in 3rd due to the power. I will have to check with Wilwood to see if they have a bit more bit brake pads, because it seemed that we were quickly overrunning the brakes coming off the long stretches, so we did lose some more overall max speed potential due to having to keep the speed down for the brakes not to be overrun.

The preliminary idea for setup on the next session is to stiffen the front spring setting just a hair and see about getting more of a performance sway bar than is offered for these cars, along with a more performance/track alignment. Keep in mind that I have this car setup for daily driver also, and the car was driven over an hour each way to get to the track and back, so this is more of a neutral setting at this time. We can still play with the coil over Dampening and Rebound settings a bit more on the next session, but I wanted to get some hard runs for our base setting, and then see what we can do to adjust it to a more track friendly setting later. My driver is thinking that we can get the car down to about a 2:05 minute track time with a few setting changes and a better front sway bar, and that will be on street tires also, so times can get even better if I were to tune the car for strictly track use.

For the people that wondered about my intake system using the cowl vent was going to have a negative air pressure issue at high speeds, I think the wiper arms tell the tale.. I guess the wipers for these cars were not made for this type of activity.. LOL

Volvo X track day1 - YouTube

Volvo X Track Day Interior mounted camera. - YouTube

Volvo X's first track day GoPro exterior view. - YouTube

Amazing work!!

I noticed that you stated that you are selling the kits for the do it yourselfer. What kits do you have and how much. I just acquired a 67 122.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nt-orange.html
Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

bitchin.. I am also in Oklahoma. I build Porsche 911 lsx cars.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drag racing a stick in that light weight car with no dr's is bad news. The car is a killer build and your the only one that has one or two. Its just a bitchin ride and you should be proud to build and own that one. Volvo wishes they'd build that bad boy. Congrats
Old 03-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Teching In

The car was a hit at the Plano Texas Cars and Coffee event this weekend, and what a great monthly car show of Exotics, Muscle Cars, Classics, ect, plus there was such a huge turn out of hundreds of cars that they quit letting them in at 7:30am. I got a visit from the Discovery Channels Fast and Loud Crew from the Gas Monkey Garage to check out the car, and found out that I am competing against Aaron in the upcoming Ultimate Street Car Challenge... And after that show, I went to eat lunch at the Gas Monkey Bar and Grill and pulled up into another afternoon car show I didn't know about, so I decided to pay the entry to have awesome parking, and I won Best Street/Race Car and Best of Show... LOL

Name:  carshow7_zps1d1f834f.jpg
Views: 3373
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  carshow8_zps70a217ad.jpg
Views: 3432
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  carshow5_zpsba763b09.jpg
Views: 3476
Size:  81.3 KB

Name:  carshow3_zps278686e0.jpg
Views: 3488
Size:  69.5 KB
Old 01-06-2021, 07:32 PM

Great looking build Im interested in the conversion kits, are you still selling these? Im in the Dallas area and recently acquired a 122. I would love to yank out the old B18 and do a LS swap. Let me know if this is still something that you are offering.

Quick Reply: Completed LS3 Powered 1967 Volvo 122 Amazon (Pics/Video)