Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 s475 foxbody, with A/C and holley efi.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the Dark Stars! I have a black Fox body (LX, 5.0...well nothing now) and you just helped me decide on wheels. If you don't mind me asking, about how much did it cost to build the motor only? I'm trying to pick a good turbo ls combo in about the same power range. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Beautiful fab work and love the purple.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boost227
I love the Dark Stars! I have a black Fox body (LX, 5.0...well nothing now) and you just helped me decide on wheels. If you don't mind me asking, about how much did it cost to build the motor only? I'm trying to pick a good turbo ls combo in about the same power range. Thanks!
It would of been considerably cheaper if I diddnt have to buy every single gasket. The engine was already disassembled when I got it.

That being said, rings and bearings were around $300, and it was $600 for the cam, push rods, valve springs ect. $180 for hot tanking, hone cylinders, Polish crank, and install cam bearings. So probably $13-1400 in to it.

The dark stars are cool, but I'm going to get rid of them. I have some other wheels Ill need to run. I'll be switching over to cobra breaks, and narrowing the rear end 2in.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:48 PM

any updates on this??
Old 02-23-2015, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by one5oh2nv
any updates on this??
Not really other then just buying all the stuff I'll need to finish the car. Other then that it's just been collecting dust. I've been puting all my time in to my 240 getting it back up and running first. The month long session of pneumonia didn't help much on progress for either car. I'll be able to jump back on the Stang next month hopefully.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:59 AM

Awesome looking build. One of the cleanest ones I've seen yet. Looking forward to seeing your progress/completion!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArcticFox
Awesome looking build. One of the cleanest ones I've seen yet. Looking forward to seeing your progress/completion!
Thank you, I appreciate it. I have a lot of time in to it in just the little details. But the end result has been worth it so far. Anyone who's seen it, even fords guys, don't hate on it... Which was kinda my intention, to **** the ford guys off.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Not sure if you mentioned it earlier but what size is your radiator? Did you have to do anything special to tuck in under the crossrail like you did? I would like to do that to mine too for the extra 2-3" of clearance I would gain for the turbo and whatnot but I would have to do some cutting to make that happen.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FrossB
Not sure if you mentioned it earlier but what size is your radiator? Did you have to do anything special to tuck in under the crossrail like you did? I would like to do that to mine too for the extra 2-3" of clearance I would gain for the turbo and whatnot but I would have to do some cutting to make that happen.
It's a Griffin radiator designed spacifically for Ls swapped fox bodies.

http://www.griffinrad.com/load_details4_dp.php?PartID=300&id=CU-70165-LS&year=93&make=Ford&model=Mustang&select_Main_Gro up=1993&select_Sub_Group=Ford&select_Sub_Group_mod el=Mustang&select_Sub_Group_Engine=29.5%20x%2018.6 3&select_Sub_Group_Transmission=TOC&key_id=8-70165-LS

It fit directly in the stock mounts, and I would of used it there but I designed the turbo system around a diffrent radiator so it was hitting the turbine housing and down pipe.

The Lowe rad support was about 3 inches thick, so I got to cutting and got it to fit on the bottom most piece of metal with some backets to hold it in place. That's how I got it to fit underneath the upper support. I did have to add a remote filling cap for the radiator as the cap is lower then the top water pipe after this modification.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Ahh okay. I have the same exact size radiator in mine. I want it to tuck under like yours but don't really want to hack up the supports. Thanks man!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Car is bad ***! I have a question on the Holley EFI stuff.

with the Holley EFI, did this allow you to completely remove the foxbody ECU and engine harness, only keeping the body harness (lights, sensors, horn, ignition, etc.)?

also this completely replaces the LS computer and engine harness as well?

thanks in advance, im super new to the LS stuff and im working on getting one in my 89. car is badass! love the purple.

-Sean
Old 03-04-2015, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by staggeredfox
Car is bad ***! I have a question on the Holley EFI stuff.

with the Holley EFI, did this allow you to completely remove the foxbody ECU and engine harness, only keeping the body harness (lights, sensors, horn, ignition, etc.)?

also this completely replaces the LS computer and engine harness as well?

thanks in advance, im super new to the LS stuff and im working on getting one in my 89. car is badass! love the purple.

-Sean
Thanks sean,
Yes the holley EFI harness is basically a stand alone harness and ecu. So no gm ecu is needed.

As far as the factory body harness is concerned my was very dry rotted, so I'm building a complete body harness using this...

It's the leash electronics street/strip board. Has all the relays and fuses on it for ignition, fans, fuel pumps as will as all the turn signal flashers, hi/lo beams ecu. I've talked with a few guys on here who bought the painless wiring kits but ended up cutting out most of it out because of the ls engine. Basically if you're going to use a stock body harness, remove everything engine related, then make the few connections for the holley harness. It just needs a switched, and constant positive, ground, hook up fuel pump and fans and it's ready to rock.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

bad ***! I love it.

question: what are you going to do for radiator hoses? lol. im trying to make my fox radiator work with my ls1. got the same water pump you got... im not boosted though so I have less pipes and what not...

-Sean
Old 03-19-2015, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by staggeredfox
bad ***! I love it.

question: what are you going to do for radiator hoses? lol. im trying to make my fox radiator work with my ls1. got the same water pump you got... im not boosted though so I have less pipes and what not...

-Sean
Thank you! I'm running fabricated stainless radiator pipes. Well I've made the top one already, just need to do the lower one now. I'll have pics up when I start working on the car again.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Busa_rob
Thank you! I'm running fabricated stainless radiator pipes. Well I've made the top one already, just need to do the lower one now. I'll have pics up when I start working on the car again.
looking forward to seeing it!
Old 04-15-2015, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally got my s13 finished up, And ended up making 498/398. Would not go over 500. Still not bad for a 2500 pound car.
Name:  DB065630-0D8A-4E89-A1BB-2A1591261C8E.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  137.2 KB

So now I've gotten back to the mustang a little. Did a few little things like fill it with oil, pulled the harness inside the car for the ecu, hooked up the grounds on the backs of the heads, and torqued on the intake manifold finally. I picked up all the little things I need to finish the car, but what I'm most excited about is my relay center that will do the whole car, and my gauge panel. Other things I picked up were a big nasty trans cooler with a deral fan on it that I will mount under the car. I went with a magnafuel 4303 fuel pump, so I should have enough for 1200hp on e85. Ford racing 3.08 gears and Lastly picked up a nice battery box, and weld in sump.
Name:  F2FC13D0-C7D8-42CB-8223-4B74522C21EF.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  59.1 KB

That's a GPS speedo which is cool, it won't matter the gear or tire size. However fast the car is going is what it shows.

I got around to fabbing up my own upper and lower radiator pipes. I built my own intercooler pipes on my 240 so I figured I'd give it a try. Looks like I've been doing it for years.

Name:  F6751EFA-B4FB-4FF0-99FB-E5AFFF386A77_1.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  158.8 KB
Name:  3D92CF7B-C559-4A9E-8595-468B41A96177.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  127.0 KB

So the game plan for right now is to finish up the rad mounts, turbo oil return, and touch up some paint on the rad support. Then mount the trans cooler, and run the trans and fuel lines. Fill up the trans and run the main power cables. Then I'll do some temp wiring so I'll be able to start it. I feel like that will light a fire under my *** to finish the dang thing.

I have to rewire then entire car, go through the rear end, and do all the suspension in the back, and that should about wrap it up.

More to come.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Yea it gets tough to keep the motivation alive on long running projects. Once you hear that beast crank the first time it'll be like a whole new project! Cars looking good, great job on the fab work with the piping. Can't wait to see her running!
Old 04-15-2015, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1slo5ohh
Yea it gets tough to keep the motivation alive on long running projects. Once you hear that beast crank the first time it'll be like a whole new project! Cars looking good, great job on the fab work with the piping. Can't wait to see her running!
I would of had yours running by now, but nooooo it's too far!! Lol!
Old 04-15-2015, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

I'll buy the plane ticket and beer lol
Old 04-16-2015, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Awesome build. I don't even want to know how much you've got in it with all the attention to detail. I know you've got some top notch parts (Holley efi, turbo, built trans, etc) but I bet all the detail stuff nickel and dime'd you like crazy!

Quick Reply: 5.3 s475 foxbody, with A/C and holley efi.