Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low mount AC- Who makes a custom bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is my understanding that the spohn mounts position the motor in the same position as the setback plates. Also, the spohn mounts will clear the compressor just fine. The mounts bolt to the frame and you remove your existing frame pads. You then use the factory 98-02 f-body clamshells that attach to the block.

[QUOTE=BOXCHEV;17978877]Do the spohn mounts work with pacesetter headers?

The frame pads have to be bolted in the forward position (as seen in my third pic in post#1) With the mounts placed there there is no way the factory truck AC bracket and compressor would fit there.

I'm wondering if I could leave the driver side frame pad and mount where it is now but on the passenger side off set it so it sits back more and just create a new adapter plate to bolt the old sbc mounts too.

Likes so, move the frame pads to the yellow bolt locations, then I should have enough space to notch he frame to clear bracket and compressor.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Sandon compressor are you using?
SD7 is 1.5" shorter than the 508. This would solve most problems.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Thumbs up That's the compressor

Originally Posted by tdishon
What Sandon compressor are you using?
SD7 is 1.5" shorter than the 508. This would solve most problems.
I am using. Making mounts as soon as I get the ATI installed.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish someone made mounts for the Sanden SD7 (pass. lower) mount for the factory 4 rib location. the SD5-508 mount will not work. The SD7 has a higher rpm capacity too.

Last edited by tdishon; 02-10-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls ac bracket

Originally Posted by E.rodz
running off one belt is no problem. have the same set up in my 63 belair and also in my chevelle build. why not move your motor mounts back and just notch your frame a touch if need be. otherwise street and performance sells them too..
hey brother. I really need help on how to build that bracket. I love them. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressor a body

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
Why not use the truck compressor with the stock brackets? If you use spohn type motor mounts, the truck compressor should clear the frame and the motor mounts. There have been a few swaps with this combo.
So you seen an a body with the sphon motor mounts and ls truck accessory drive work with the low mouny ac Bracket???
Old 02-14-2017, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Holley has just released a low-mount SD7 compressor bracket that is installable at the F-body and truck offsets in a G-body when using the Hooker G-body engine mounting brackets. You can find it on the Holley website.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Holley has just released a low-mount SD7 compressor bracket that is installable at the F-body and truck offsets in a G-body when using the Hooker G-body engine mounting brackets. You can find it on the Holley website.
Toddoky, how does the SD7 with the Holley bracket compare to the stock F-Body bracket and stock F-Body compressor with regard to footprint/compactness?

I've got a GTO LS2 going into an E36 BMW with the stock LS2 accessory drive. The stock stuff will fit but it's tight. Would the SD7 and Holley bracket be more compact?

Also, because I'm somewhat A/C illiterate, what type/brand of compressor is the stock 98-02 F-Body compressor?

Tipsy
Old 02-14-2017, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 750 Likes on 407 Posts

Street and Performance defly has one of the nicer and tighter kits I ve seen. A bit pricey, but prolly worth it
Old 02-14-2017, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
Toddoky, how does the SD7 with the Holley bracket compare to the stock F-Body bracket and stock F-Body compressor with regard to footprint/compactness?

I've got a GTO LS2 going into an E36 BMW with the stock LS2 accessory drive. The stock stuff will fit but it's tight. Would the SD7 and Holley bracket be more compact?

Also, because I'm somewhat A/C illiterate, what type/brand of compressor is the stock 98-02 F-Body compressor?

Tipsy
There's quite a bit of difference...the distance from the inner-most belt rib on the pulley to the rear of the SD7 compressor is 5.375". The same measurement on the stock GTO compressor is 6.5" and is 7.5" on the stock F-body compressor.

The diameter of the SD7 compressor is also considerable smaller and will allow it to fit in areas the stock compressors won't.

The stock F-body and GTO compressors were supplied by Delphi.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Street and Performance defly has one of the nicer and tighter kits I ve seen. A bit pricey, but prolly worth it
I believe they are out of business.

Andrew
Old 02-19-2017, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

There's quite a bit of difference...the distance from the inner-most belt rib on the pulley to the rear of the SD7 compressor is 5.375". The same measurement on the stock GTO compressor is 6.5" and is 7.5" on the stock F-body compressor.

The diameter of the SD7 compressor is also considerable smaller and will allow it to fit in areas the stock compressors won't.
It's the diameter that I'm most interested in, compared to that of a the stock F-Body Delphi compressor (I'm using an F-Body compressor because of the rear hose mount position vs. the GTO compressor's side mount).

Would the Sanden with the Holley bracket be tighter to the block than the Delphi F-Body compressor on the stock bracket?

Lastly, is the SD7 available with rear hose connections similar to the configuration of the Delphi F-Body compressor?

Thanks for the great info!

Tipsy
Old 02-19-2017, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
It's the diameter that I'm most interested in, compared to that of a the stock F-Body Delphi compressor (I'm using an F-Body compressor because of the rear hose mount position vs. the GTO compressor's side mount).

Would the Sanden with the Holley bracket be tighter to the block than the Delphi F-Body compressor on the stock bracket?

Lastly, is the SD7 available with rear hose connections similar to the configuration of the Delphi F-Body compressor?

Thanks for the great info!

Tipsy
I'll see if I can get you some comparative measurements this week.
The specific SD7 compressor that the Holley bracket is made for is the aftermarket peanut sized SD7B10; it's only available in the side-port configuration.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll see if I can get you some comparative measurements this week.
The specific SD7 compressor that the Holley bracket is made for is the aftermarket peanut sized SD7B10; it's only available in the side-port configuration.
Anyone have a link or part number for the holley low mount ac mentioned above? I only see high mounts for the gbody on the site
thanks
Old 12-31-2018, 02:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LQ9bu
Anyone have a link or part number for the holley low mount ac mentioned above?
20-160

Quick Reply: Low mount AC- Who makes a custom bracket?