Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low mount AC- Who makes a custom bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low mount AC- Who makes a custom bracket?

Curious if there is anyone out there that makes a custom low mount AC bracket? That moves the compressor forward and uses a 6 rib pulley.

I have 1" set back plates with a Gbody and after laying a factory compressor next to it it kind of looks like I could get a sanden compressor with 6 rib pulley to work if I could get some brackets to move it forward and add some more pulleys to get more belt onto the crank.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not seen one myself and I've looked a ton at different bracket setups and bought and tried several. Why not mount it up top? You would probably have better luck finding that, I think. Here's a few places to check: Dirty dingo, alan grove, holley, kwik.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

Allen Grove has aTruck mount. 3rd one down.www.alangrovecomponents.com/LS.htm
BUT..... this is rear belt setup like stock.

If you look at their mount it might give you a idea how to make your own front pulley setup.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

you might run into belt problems running EVERYTHING off one belt.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KY Nova
I've not seen one myself and I've looked a ton at different bracket setups and bought and tried several. Why not mount it up top? You would probably have better luck finding that, I think. Here's a few places to check: Dirty dingo, alan grove, holley, kwik.
I dont like top mounted ac, I prefer it down in factory location. Bad enough Im using truck brackets for right now.

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Allen Grove has aTruck mount. 3rd one down.www.alangrovecomponents.com/LS.htm
BUT..... this is rear belt setup like stock.

If you look at their mount it might give you a idea how to make your own front pulley setup.
Thanks, that does give some ideas.

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
you might run into belt problems running EVERYTHING off one belt.
I thought that, but I havent heard anyone complain about their top mounted ac brackets and that still runs everything off one belt. So why not run everything on one belt down low where I dont really have to look at it.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

been google searching for a while, think I found what I need.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...dy-ls-2-a.html
Old 11-16-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

That link you posted is very similar to how I did mine on my '33, only I used jeep cherokee idler pullies from the junk yard because I'm cheap. Been running it for years and it has over 70k miles on it. The only isue I ran into was the stock LS1 tensioner wouldn't keep the belt tight enough when the compressor kicked on and the belt wouls squeel. I put a Katech adjustable, (not spring loaded) tensioner on it and it fixed the problem.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks like the mount and crossmember are preventing a low mount compressor from working rather than a custom bracket
Old 11-16-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in the same situation as you are right now... '70 gto with sanden compressor and fbody fead. I'll be making mounts like in the link you posted. Post up pictures when you start fabbing... I'll be watching what works and what doesn't, haha.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Looks like you want to mount yours higher than the factory location. Maybe you could adapt or make your own to meet your needs?

This(link below) is a very nicely made bracket but it's for LS1/Camaro offset. Maybe you could contact them to have it made in the truck offset. Appears to be used with Sanden compressor not factory but again it is a very simple to make bracket set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251001189919...84.m1423.l2649
Old 11-16-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's the same one jimbo1367 posted above, they make one for the truck crank too.

Those brackets are for the rear 4 rib pulley on the crank, this will not work with my 1in setback adapter plates. Not to mention I would also need a frame notch.

Now if those brackets moved the compressor forward a little and used a 6 rib pulley and belt it would be perfect.

I don't have the ability to weld anything right now so I would have to farm this out for someone else to do for me. Those brackets seem fairly simple to make, getting the right pulleys and measurments right seems to be most important.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys, sorry to hijack, but would these brackets for the Camaro LS1 fit an LS2 out of a 06 GTO? Sure looks the same.

Larry
Old 12-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
been google searching for a while, think I found what I need.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...dy-ls-2-a.html
Use these, you have to make them, they work great, I have already built one set and am about to build 2 more sets. PM me with any questions
Old 12-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Launching!

69-er, LS1 and LS2 are the same offset so I would think they would fit fine.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:44 AM
On The Tree

Oldngray,
With this home made bracket for the A/C, do you use the fbody drive or corvette drive? I think the fbody drive sits out further.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not use the truck compressor with the stock brackets? If you use spohn type motor mounts, the truck compressor should clear the frame and the motor mounts. There have been a few swaps with this combo.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Street& performance has a setup pretty much every which way possible, including ps low mount ac all off the same belt.

I think the factory mainly did them separate for nvh reasons. I notched & reboxed my crossmember for factory location ac, also squared up my frame behind idler arm for more pulley clearance. Pics in photobucket link. Personally, I prefer not to stare at an ac compressor in the face when I open the hood.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Bigmandengo,
Good point about truck accessories. Does the compressor sit forward more?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
Why not use the truck compressor with the stock brackets? If you use spohn type motor mounts, the truck compressor should clear the frame and the motor mounts. There have been a few swaps with this combo.

Do the spohn mounts work with pacesetter headers?

The frame pads have to be bolted in the forward position (as seen in my third pic in post#1) With the mounts placed there there is no way the factory truck AC bracket and compressor would fit there.

I'm wondering if I could leave the driver side frame pad and mount where it is now but on the passenger side off set it so it sits back more and just create a new adapter plate to bolt the old sbc mounts too.

Likes so, move the frame pads to the yellow bolt locations, then I should have enough space to notch he frame to clear bracket and compressor.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

running off one belt is no problem. have the same set up in my 63 belair and also in my chevelle build. why not move your motor mounts back and just notch your frame a touch if need be. otherwise street and performance sells them too..

Quick Reply: Low mount AC- Who makes a custom bracket?