Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 5.3 in a stock GM B body oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 5.3 in a stock GM B body oil pan

So ive done some reading and I cant seem to find a straight answer cause lots of people move the motors.

Stock truck 5.3 in a stock 82 olds wagon B body, came with the 307 but right now its got a 350tbi. If I use say the MR gasket plates to put the motor in the stock place will the F body pan clear the cross member and not hang below it? Or will I have to raise the motor up. I know I need to use F body exhaust manifolds, and the truck intake may or may not fit, and I have to replace the a/c bracketry.

What oil pan is knows to fit in the stock place and not hit the crossmember and hang below it? This info would be awesome! thanks!!

Mark
Old 11-21-2013, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

I know someone here has the answer, just wanna try and find out before i have to test fit things...
Old 11-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search my friend...search!

This tread was just below yours. Good luck!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...price-9c1.html

Last edited by reedld; 11-21-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

The LH8 pan hangs about an inch below the crossmember. I raised my motor 3/8" for added clearance and some plates move the motor back to keep the bellhousing in the stock position. Some adapter plates are offered raising the engine up and f-body manifolds do fit good.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

F-Body pan fits without hanging below the crossmember...but you would have to move the motor back A LOT.

I am literally against the firewall and it JUST cleared in my chassis.

I think a better option for a "stock style" mount would be the CTSv pan. This is the pan BMR recommends with their conversion package (which puts the motor in roughly the OE location).

Let me know if you need any other help.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

An F-body pan will be above the crossmember. I used Ebay 1" setback plates and just needed a very small notch. I also notched enough to make the truck A/C fit. TIGHT fit, but it is in there.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys this is exactly what I needed to know. Not interested in reengineering an oil pan or 'tight fits' haha I might just spend the $$ and get an autokraft pan...should its comparable to the F body pan so it wont hang low, and the sump is wide not long so it should clear the k-member. Im keepin the R-4 compressor so i dont need to make new lines or anything. Not afraid to make things, but I want this is bolt in as possible so I can get it in, wired and take it to the exhaust shop. Its dads car so something straightforward simple and reliable is the plan. So keeping things in stock locations is what im goin for.

Quick Reply: Stock 5.3 in a stock GM B body oil pan