Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a.i.r. injection questions to pass emissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013 | 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Default a.i.r. injection questions to pass emissions

i have a 91 camaro with a lq9 swap. it is completely not emissions legal. i need to get it to pass. i have an ls6 intake with no provisions for egr. i also do not have air injection in the car. i have long tube headers as well.

my plan is to attempt to put air injection on the car. that is a must. im going to put high flow cats in the exhaust and redo my exhaust from my long tubes back to exit out the rear instead of side pipes.

i think i can possibly get away without the egr since the ls6 does not have and egr i should hopefully be able to convince them the motor doesnt have one. the air injection is a must.

so any advice or discriptions on how to hook up the air is appriciated.

thanks
mike
Old 11-29-2013 | 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure what Co laws are, but if you were in Calif.. that would not fly.

Most other States are based on Calif C.A.R.B laws and rules or loosely. Which mean you have state what year and what the engine came out of. Then you must have all of the Smog equipment that the Donor had.. you basically are passing your car as the Donor now.

But give us some info on the engine...
Old 11-29-2013 | 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

the engine block is a 6.0 truck motor. it has 317 truck heads on it and an ls6 intake. i have switched to the ls1 coils instead of trucks coils. i have an 85mm ls6 throttle body. the computer is a 2001 camaro ss pcm. at this point i have all emmisions stuff tuned out of the pcm.

there is alot of work done that is going to make it even more tricky as fallows it is bored to 408 ci has a comp cams 287 hydraulic roller cam with 1.7 roller rockers. the long tube headers i mentioned.

any other direct questions on stuff i have on there just ask.
Old 11-29-2013 | 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much time have you got before you have to have it pass? I would try running it through and see what their sniffer says you are at for compliance. If you put the cats on before going in, that would help. But the best person to ask is the guy doing the testing, he will tell you exactly what will and wont fly for the emissions.

This is exactly why I love Arkansas. NO emissions or inspections. BUT!!! A state trooper can pull you over and do a roadside inspection, but I have never had it happen in the 16 years since it was passed.
Old 11-29-2013 | 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to run that thing over to Arkansas and rent a PO box and get the car registered here.
Old 11-29-2013 | 08:28 PM
Teching In

Not sure about Co. laws,But I would research the Laws and look for a loophole or referee situation so you know what you need before spending money on unneeded modifications.
Old 11-29-2013 | 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

i currently have it registered in an area that doesnt do emissons testing. it is just a pain in the butt to do it every year.

as for the referee that is a bad plan in this state. they are harder to get by than the kids at the stations. the way it works here is it is a private business and they have a bunch of kids that they pay like 8 dollars an hour to run cars threw all day long. the shop i work at we send many cars threw a week and some have odd stuff with them but we have never attempted something as aggressive as my car. not only is nothing stock but its pretty well modified. the hardest one we did recently was a big cam 351 67 mustang. but it was a cake walk without having all the emissions stuff to deal with.

who knows if its to big of a pita to get it to pass maybe i just spend the money on something fun like a single turbo or something.
Old 12-03-2013 | 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

On my old swapped 88 camaro i just had it super clean with everything hooked up and all the stickers with the smog crap on it removed. They looked at like wtf, had 3 other people look at it, closed the hood and ran it on the rollers and passed.

But i think to not look stupid they just let it go.

If you think its a must just rig up a smog pump on the upper pass side with the most basic removable bracket. You can snag and Alt pulley that should work with a combination of washers. and the A.I.R. injection into the Headers down low (so when its unhooked and plugged you cant see it.)

As far as the EGR, pull one off of an a 4th gen camaro and hook it up to your pass header. then just make a small block off plate for when you remove it.

Thats the joy of 80s-90s gm. Emissions Retardation. But when everything is removed you just have a block off plate on the Pass header visible. The rest is sitting in the garage till the next year.
Old 12-03-2013 | 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think first of all to review .. is what state is he in and what are the smog test requirement and swap laws... Most test of go off of the VIN for what is required to be Visually be on and connected. The a sniffer test on the roller would need to be passed.

So.. if your using a Truck engine..
having a car intake would fail you.
Not having the EGR and AIR functioning would fail you.
Block off plates would fail you.
Cat's incorrectly installed and moved would fail you.
any non-C.A.R.B compliant equiement would fail you.
Headers without a C.A.R.B cert would fail you.
Having a Check Engine Light on would fail you.. (MIL/CEL/ etc)

These all being Calif C.A.R.B law/rules. So.. find out what the Co. laws are for swaps. In Calif, if you swap. .you are then being passed on the newer engine requirements and specs... not the older body... In Calif per C.A.R.B.. you have to get your car/truck re-certified after a swap.

Hate to be downer.. but just stating the facts as what might happen.

Remeber.. listening to what other suggest or do, might lead you into a whole lot of extra work and flagged by the Ref's and Co. DMV down the road.

BC
Old 12-03-2013 | 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

That does sound like CA emissions rules for sure. Other states are more relaxed. I thought CO was no emissions at all. Being in AZ we are half and half. So its not so bad.

Originally Posted by bczee
I think first of all to review .. is what state is he in and what are the smog test requirement and swap laws... Most test of go off of the VIN for what is required to be Visually be on and connected. The a sniffer test on the roller would need to be passed.

So.. if your using a Truck engine..
having a car intake would fail you.
Not having the EGR and AIR functioning would fail you.
Block off plates would fail you.
Cat's incorrectly installed and moved would fail you.
any non-C.A.R.B compliant equiement would fail you.
Headers without a C.A.R.B cert would fail you.
Having a Check Engine Light on would fail you.. (MIL/CEL/ etc)

These all being Calif C.A.R.B law/rules. So.. find out what the Co. laws are for swaps. In Calif, if you swap. .you are then being passed on the newer engine requirements and specs... not the older body... In Calif per C.A.R.B.. you have to get your car/truck re-certified after a swap.

Hate to be downer.. but just stating the facts as what might happen.

Remeber.. listening to what other suggest or do, might lead you into a whole lot of extra work and flagged by the Ref's and Co. DMV down the road.

BC

Quick Reply: a.i.r. injection questions to pass emissions