Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Awaited 68 Camaro Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014 | 12:58 PM
Launching!

Very nice build! Keep up the good work...

First gens FTW
Old 02-23-2014 | 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Matt, thanks for the compliment! I'm learning a lot as I go
Old 02-23-2014 | 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Gotten a pretty good amount done even with missing out on a week with no power! Georgia and Ice do not mix well...

I finished up the underbody and I really like the look of the SPI bedliner and this stuff is as tough as nails! And it should provide a bit of heat and sound protection as well.

Last edited by beerb8ammoGRITS; 02-23-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2014 | 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

I got the rear ridetech 4 link cradle mocked up and bolted up the front subframe. I got the motor back from the machine shop on Friday and am going to try to do a final mock up of the engine and trans this week so I can get the rear suspension set with the right pinion angle.

Rear subframe bolts in place. Using DSE solid mounts and stainless hardware. I'm going with the hotchkis subframe connectors that I will install later once all the weight is on the car.

Unfortunately, I have to work most of the time now myself since my wife is also in the Army and currently stationed 2 hours away and all the people here are a bit too nerdy to really appreciate cars like this, lol.... So I have to be imaginative. I was able to get the subframe lined up really well with the alignment holes and it only needed about a 1/16" tweak from there.

It's starting to look like a car!
Old 02-23-2014 | 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

I did have time to start putting the ridetech front suspension together. One thing I didn't realize is the spindles come uncoated, when I opened the box they already had some surface rust on them. I cleaned them up and painted them a metallic silver which looks pretty close to cast aluminum. I'm thinking about this for the engine and trans as well using a base/clear.

Unfortunately, the lower control arms did not come with the coilover spacers so I called ridetech and they fedex'd me some which will hopefully come next week so I can finish up the front suspension.
Old 02-23-2014 | 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

In the meantime though.... I got the motor!!!! I can't wait to fire this thing up!

I got to work getting the clutch installed and was hoping to marry it to the tranny tonight but unfortuntely I realized right after napa closed that one of the bolt holes for the slave cylinder was stripped out... Probably the only two bolts that Jason at TDP didn't have to touch during his complete rebuild!!! Oh well, its what I get from a craigslist tranny I guess. I will be picking up an M10x1.5 helicoil tomorrow after work.

They want to go together so bad!!!

Pilot bearing in... Flexplate on, progressively torqued to 74lbs. Used new factory bolts.
Old 02-23-2014 | 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Diamond Stage 2 clutch on and aligned...

Pressure plate on and progressivly torqued to 52lbs with red loctite.

Last edited by beerb8ammoGRITS; 02-23-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2014 | 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone have experience installing the Diamond clutch/pressure plate? The pressure plate didn't slide right up against the flywheel like I am used to with clutch replacements. It seemed really tight fitting around the clutch but seems to be sitting flush against the flywheel and perfectly aligned for the input shaft... I think it was just really tight on the dowels that align it but just wondering if anyone else had this experience?

If anyone has any constructive criticism please let me know! I've never done this in depth of a build and can use all of the advice I can get!!

Sorry for the crappy phone pics lately. I need to find my actual camera but it is still packed in a box somewhere from the move. I unpacked all the shop stuff and parts and got to work without doing much else.

Edit: I spoke with Texas Drivetrain Performance and they said they designed the pressure plate to be a press fit so you gotta get it lined up and slowly tighten the bolts nearest to the dowels. It does a great job taking up all the slack. I was just used to the cheap parts store replacements that weren't to so exacting standards

Last edited by beerb8ammoGRITS; 04-29-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Answered my own question with a call to the company
Old 03-17-2014 | 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Well... Engine and tranny are in and I have the rear ridetech cradle tacked in and started putting the rear suspension together but I'm stuck on the motor/trans placement...

The engine is square to the frame and level (level across top of valve covers) but for whatever reason the transmission is tilted.... It will not sit flush on the ats transmission mount which is perfectly level... I have finagled the engine every which way but am pulling my hair out trying to get the trans level and the motor... It's almost like it isn't clocked right which I know is impossible...

Any ideas? Is the motor not level from the factory? Or am I missing something?

Tomorrow I am going to try to lift the motor a bit, bolt the trans to mount flush and then get the motor back on the mount.... That's the only thing left I can think of but i am sure that will throw the engine off...
Old 04-26-2014 | 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

It's been a while since my last update, but I've gotten a lot done. I solved the trans issue by using a 3.5 degree pinion shim to allow it to sit flush to the crossmember.

Heres what I'm talkin about, with the engine and trans crossmember perfectly level you can see the trans is clocked slightly counterclockwise. I actually pulled the motor and seperated the trans just to make sure the dowels were straight and everything was right... But apparently, its a fairly common issue and most just let it ride.

Luckily, I had lots of help under the car...

And motor and trans are in place... at least for mockup...
Old 04-26-2014 | 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Got all the rear suspension in place, set the pinion angle, and centered the axle and then welded on the top arm mounts.

Old 04-26-2014 | 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

I completely installed all the rear suspension one more time just to make sure it all still lined up, then pulled the axle housing... blasted and painted... I used 2 coats of SPI epoxy, followed by eastwoods 2k Ceramic chassis black. I hadn't sprayed the chassis black before but it shot just like epoxy out of a 1.5 fluid tip and laid down real nice. I've heard it is pretty durable and I liked the idea of touch ups down the road. Hopefully, the third member arrives on time Monday and I can button up the rear next week.

Old 04-26-2014 | 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Front brakes on! these things are sexy... I love finally putting new parts on!!! Especially when they don't require days of cutting, welding, and grinding...

I'm halfway to a roller!
Old 04-26-2014 | 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Before the comments come in... Those are not the wheels I'm going to use, just picked them up as rollers from the local pick and pull. I'm moving to Savanna in a few weeks and need this thing on all 4 wheels to load it on the trailer.

This week the goal is to get the rear buttoned up and install the front ridetech tru turn steering and try to engineer a way to steer this thing without a column.... Definitely wishing I kept the old one until I got a new one....
Old 04-27-2014 | 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Hey, this is a really interesting build, and you are doing some great work there.
Keep the pics coming please, as it helps me fill in my day.
Old 04-27-2014 | 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Haha, will do, and thanks... I finally found my camera while looking through boxes I never unpacked from my last move while packing for the next move, so I promise no more crappy iPhone pics.
Old 04-28-2014 | 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Well, the third member did not arrive today but I decided to get the axle housing and suspension installed in the car so I was still productive. But first I finally found my camera so I took some better pics of the ridetech cradle welded in place since I had a few pm's about the truck bed liner undercoating and how it looked.

Old 04-28-2014 | 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Gettin the axle ready to go in.

Ready to slide under the car

All bolted up at ridehight...

Old 04-28-2014 | 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Please excuse the mess in my shop... Really hoping the third member arrives tomorrow so I can get it painted so Wednesday I can get it installed and get the axles and brakes on. I can't wait to see this thing on all 4 wheels!!! Thats gonna be a big day! 3 years on a dolly, and 5 months on jackstands, I'm ready for a roller!!
Old 04-29-2014 | 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Looking great. I like the bed liner. Your giving me some motivation to go get into my firebird lol. Keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: Long Awaited 68 Camaro Build